A cub scout just made my day...

Well, our Pinewood was on Sunday. Got a note from one of the parents in our Pack, whose son took 3rd place in his Den. I really thought this boy was disappointed about his finish...but...well, I'll let the note speak for itself:

Today he had to bring in something 'special'. Something that defines his character and his likes and/or dislikes. Because I was gone last night he took it upon himself to pack his derby car in the 'garage' along w/ his 3rd place trophy. He also wrote a little note. The note said: (Bare w/ me, this is exactly how he wrote it, spelling and all).

Why is this car special? I'll tell you why.

This car is special to me because it makes me think of boy scouts. Boy scouts is so much fun. I get to spend a lot of time doing fun stuff with my friends and family. How many of you have gone camping with your friends in the winter? How about sledding? How many of you get to make a lot of stuff with your friends? I do. Mr. [name] always has really fun things for us to do. I even got to be in a skit this year. We made my grandma and grandpa laugh at the banquet.

Me and my dad made this car all by ourselvs. We spend lots of nights cutting, sawing, and sanding. I even got to learn to use my dads dremel. I didn't do a very good job at first but after breaking a axel I decidid to be more carefull and pay attention. I even talked my dad into putting screws in the back end for talelights.

The night before our derby I got relly excited. I didn't sleep much. My car took third place in our den but to me it was the best car ever.

(This message has been edited by 83eagle)

I have a modest collection of those and, I assure you, they are why I continue to beat my head against the wall! While I was a COR for a Cub Pack I had a Den Chief who's brother was in our Pack. He was a great kid and worked hard and was always there to help. He went with us to summer camp and the whole time he was with our Den he was always upbeat and positive. A while back he was looking for an Eagle project and came to talk to me about an idea he had about helping our CO by servicing the flags and sites we use as a fundraiser for the CO. It was a very well thought out project and we accepted his offer and he did the project with a very large group of boys from his troop (despite snow and rain while working outdoors!). I was very pleased as they worked hard and the things they did have been a great benefit to our CO and those involved in our community flag program. To make an already long story short, after it was all said and done, he presented me with a plaque for helping him achieve his goals. That plaque and the letters I have from various kids (some from other units as I have worked various camps for several years now) mean a lot more to me than the knots and medals that I have been presented with as "honors".