• 2 weeks later...

Our pack had to cancel our first campout and reschedule from February to May. Good thing too because it was very cold, wet and windy. I checked the campgrounds the following morning (we live very close) and found the area deep in puddles and many downed branches. We have a lot of first timers that are timid about camping. I am trying to unofficially invite some of the first timer adults only for a local one night evening campout. My plan is to do a "mini-BALOO" away from the kids so that the dads can learn about tent set-up, cooking, short hikes, ect without the pressure of learning on the fly. I did this in the past for some friends (before scouting in my life) and now they love to camp everywhere. They just needed someone to show them how.

I will let you know how it goes.......

I went to BALOO training and found it very beneficial even though I am an experienced car/back pack camper. I would recommend it to every pack leader (DL,ADL,CM,ACM) just so that someone is BALOO trained for every campout during the year. It is cheap, easy, fun and you meet some of the best people in your community.