Webelos activity badge/pin requirements .

I hope that all of the scouters here are not getting sick of me and my questions , but I do after all want to make sure I do things correctly for the scouts sake .

I am going over all of the Communicator Badge/pin requirements and I see one in 3 seperate places .

Requirement 11 Use a personal computer to write a letter to a friend or relative. Create your letter, check it for grammar and spelling, and save it to a disk. Print it.

Requirements for the Communicating Belt Loop #2 Write a letter to a friend or relative.

Requirements for the Computers Belt Loop # 3

Use your computer to prepare and print a document.

Wouold one letter prepared on a computer qualify for all three requirements or should they do three separate documents ?

For my tastes, one letter should not satisfy all three requirements. The standard here is experiential - do something. Short-cutting the experience kind of undermines the standard, in my opinion. Surely the boys could find different people to write to, or (in the computers belt loop requirement) a different sort of document to produce?

(Then again - it would be nice if there weren't quite so much overlap in some of the requirements, too!)

PS: I notice that there are 16 different options for the communicator webelos pin - and the boys could do any 7 of these. No need for duplication here!(This message has been edited by lisabob)

That is an interesting question. looking at the Webelos/AOL requirements, I see several places where scouts are specifically prohibited from using one activity to fulfill two different requirements (AOL camping/hike, Boy Scout outdoor activity, math loop for either Engineer or Scholar, but not for both). So, based on that, my reading would be that using an activity for two requirements would be allowed, unless specifically prohibited. Makes me wonder if requiring three letters would be adding to the requirements.

In the case you mentioned, if a scout did one fantastic letter, full of news and anecdotes, excellent grammar and spelling, well formatted, perhaps with a photo or scanned image included -- well, that might fulfill the spirit of the requirements better than three, just barely qualifying letters/documents. I'd also want to take into consideration how hard the requirement was for the scout -- for example, no home computer, physical or other disability, parents without enough schooling to offer any guidance. I guess that I am saying that there is not (IMO) a one size fits all answer to your question.

If you google 'Webelos double takes,' you can find pdfs that cross reference Webelos in requirements -- not quite what you were asking, but similar.

But, looking at your question from the other point of view -- consider some of the 'Character Connections,' especially Perseverance. In Athlete -- knowing perseverance means selecting one of the harder requirements. As parent, I made sure that my son realized that improving his time in a quarter mile swim was more meaningful than jumping up and making a mark on a wall. You can also apply the perseverance character connection to questions about belt loop/Web pin overlaps, i.e. Do Your Best. Now, if I were a parent in an urban area with unsafe streets, etc, the jumping up requirement might be a godsend. That would be my scout's best.

Please......

If you have to ask then you should already know your wrong.

Have them write three letters, it will take a whooping 10 minutes more. Remember these are 10 year olds, it doesn't need to be all that fancy. In BS it sometimes is a tougher pill to swallow.

The problem with double dipping at the webelos level it sets the expectation up for double dipping later on.

Or , as in most cases, it means the person actually doesn't know, isn't sure or wants to clarify with some sort of experience ,or confirm and back up their own interpretation of sometrhing from those with more experience.

Hence, that's why they asked.

woodardjp, Never be afraid to ask, There is nothing EVER wrong with asking if you do not know. It is far worse to procede wrongly and incorrectly than to take a minute and ask in order to be sure.

I ain't afraid to ask anything that I am not sure about!

I wanted to add one more thing -- you probably wouldn't want to be way stricter or way more lenient than is your pack's custom (presuming you basically agree with your pack, of course). In our pack, there is one person, now with our troop, who knows a lot and is respected by everyone. When I have a judgement question about advancement/requirements, I go to this person for advice, and I've always felt it was a smart move. IMO, that is a good way to avoid people thinking that you are either too easy or too hard -- anyone who asks will find that you are doing it all 'our pack' way.