New Cubmaster

I understand completely Scoutfish...lol In fact, the comment was made tonight about making sure we took baby steps in changing things...lol I did not present my goals in entiretiy or havd them out...lol After discussing a few other things, leadership was discussed. We have leaders for all the dens except Tigers for next year!! Yippee..Then it was brought up that I was interested in being CM and opened up for them to ask me questions...Wow, that was interesting. First, our COR was sick and not even there! Pretty much everyone else was clear that they were staying at den level and not interested. So, I got LOTS of questions, mainly about camping. It was even suggested that by not agreeing to go on EVERY campout with the pack as CM I was doing a diservice to the boys. I explained that it was my job as CM to delegate. The Web leader even said he did not want me to go on his trips, however it did not end. I basically told them, I would go fi my son wanted me too, other than that...I was delegating that. One did ask if I wanted the job or was just filling a need. I explained that I wanted this after seeing the need and researching...etc.. Then they asked vision and that was not questioned, I explained I wanted to get a committee functioning and delegate so the CM is not doing everything and eventually I would like to be the CC.. the asked how exactly I planned to get more volunteers..I told them it would be a case by case basis and would cross that bridge after I became CM...lol Then camping was brought up again...During the last mtg a suggestion had been to make the entire church aware of wanting a CM and asking them for one. That apparently was not done, however, there are several members of the pack who are CO members so I am sure they are aware...the suggestion was made can we still ask?

After, this last discussion I was asked to leave, so they could "talk about me and vote". I have had mixed feelings. The meeting seemed to have mixed responses to me and a couple people that had approached me were either sick or one was unavoidably detained so I am a little nervous. I have no clue when they will let me know what their decision is...However, I personally think that they will decide to ask the church first...One person even suggested hiring someone...lol Yet, they had no reason other than I would not agree to go on every camping trip for this. I have made a decision of what I will do if they postpone due to continuing to ask for a cubmaster to step up, though. Even though, I have sort of made up my mind I would love to know what ya'll would do?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Expecting the CM to try to go on Pack campouts as much as possible is not unreasonable, but shouldn't be a deal breaker if no one else is available for the position. If you had two canidates though and one planned to be on campouts and the other only on occasion, I do think the one more willing to camp would be the winner.. I would suggest if the Pack is nearby at least visiting during the day for a little while, even if you are not going to camp with them..

Expecting the CM on Webelos trips should not be expected, even if your son is one of the Webelos, that is when it is expected of the Webelos leader to take charge.. So your Webelos leader is correct feeling the CM is not required for his/her outings..

Good Luck..

When recruiting Scout leaders, the recommendation of BSA literature is to look for the BEST person for the job.

If the BEST person for the job doesn't do much camping, then I'd be looking for an Assistant Cubmaster who does, and can provide the leadership for that part of the program.

Most leaders have some weak points ---- I know I do. I try to recognize those and look for other people to help compensate for those weak points.

I'll add that it's nice to read about a pack where the parents are really concerned about having an active pack camping program!

Usually it seems like a few leader trying to promote more camping and parents hanging back. That's my experience so far. I'm trying to devise ways to overcome objections.

(This will be our 3rd year of doing one overnight camp in June).

Thanks all for your encouragement!! To the camping question...Honestly, they are lucky to do one a year, other than the lock ins..which is why I have been dumbfounded at the concern over it...lol

I totally beleive in delegation! haha

The thing I am concerned at now is two fold..I am trying to figure out my place in the pack since I have been told they have elected me to be interim and I will be evaluated in May by current CM. They also said that I would be expected to work and report to the committee, which is fine, although I am a little nervous that I put a lot of work into this and then they come back in August and say, Thanks, but we have found someone else. I am also a little worried that I will be too cautious because I will be worried that I have to make everyone happy and that is never possible...lol

One comment was made at the meeting made me a little nervous was that they did not care what the BSA said, it was what they wanted...lol

I am also very nervous because I will be 'taking over' as CM next week and a lot of the people are new to me!

I am trying to schedule a meeting with our DE to discuss things with him, what is expected..etc..Since our COR who is listed on our charter as our CC as well, I also want to sit down with him and find out more about what the CO expects and wants to see!

Again, at first I thought that you guys really were just being negative, but your constructive criticisms really allowed me to think through my responses and I was able to feel good about how I was composed because of your advice!! Now, I have to say I really appreciate the truth:)

Barry, I agree about the vision.

Last night, I kind of paraphrased what I wanted to see in addition to the typical respect, duty...etc stuff...

I wondered if you think it would make a good start to a vision for the pack...I want to see each and every boy and family learn through its experiences in our pack that 'Life is about serving others, and that serving other is FUN!' I know I need to add more but...what do you think?

My spidey sense is tingling a tremor right now.

Here is what I'm getting out of this now.

1.) None of the other DL's want to step up to become CM.

2.) The committee elected you interim CM until the current CM recommends you for the job. That same CM and Asst CM's are leaving the pack in May, so they don't have a vested interest in the program beyond their tenure.

3.)The committee is concerned about the pack camping program and the commitment of the new CM to that program, yet the pack only camps once a year with scattered lock ins available.

4.) The current CM and ACM's seem to be doing the lion's share of work that the committee should be doing.

Do they want a CM or do they just want a figure head? Why do the other DL's not want to step up as CM? Have they seen how things are done within this group and don't want to be put in that fishbowl?

It sounds like since the CM and ACM's were doing all of the work, the committee was OK with the status quo.

(But, that's how it's always been done, blah,blah)

>They also said that I would be expected to work and report to the committee, which is fine, although I am a little nervous that I put a lot of work into this and then they come back in August and say, Thanks, but we have found someone else. I am also a little worried that I will be too cautious because I will be worried that I have to make everyone happy and that is never possible...lol <

I think your gut instinct is right on about this. This sounds like the committee is putting the reigns on you and creating a reason to not offer you the position in August. Hey, Every CM should be working with the committee to plan and execute the program. This just smells of dictatorship.

>One comment was made at the meeting made me a little nervous was that they did not care what the BSA said, it was what they wanted...lol <

This is the one that got the spidey sense really humming! This attitude reminds me of egotism, not servant leadership. I'm worried that you'll be set up to fail, because you're not going to get the support you deserve.

Scoutmom, You have a great heart and a true passion for offering the best program available to the boys. I really hope your Pack can find a way to work with you and not against you. I know I would be thrilled to have some one like you in my Pack. Good Luck!

If your Pack only camps about once a year, then you are right, you not being there should not be a deal breaker.. The concern for it made me think this is a Pack with an active camping program that they did not want to see weakened by a CM who was not into camping..

I don't know if I see all the doom & gloom that OwnTheNight sees.. But, if you are sensing something, I would trust my gut feeling (and you say you do).. So trust that..

But, consider what ever you put into it right now, is a starting point that will be an improvement over when you took over.. And if you can pull off a good job, then I doubt anyone in the Pack will be wanting to take over the position & take the reins away from you, since they don't want it now, and if they see you are doing a good job, why would they want to in May?.. Now that is not to say you don't have your few that will want to try to change their minds..

As for the committee who doesn't do their job, but want you to do all the work, the way they want you to do the work.. And just be your supervisor.. Slowly start moving the work that they should be doing onto their shoulders.. Again.. If the Den Leaders & ACM's do not want the position now, they wont change their mind because you are making the committee do the work the committee should be doing.. And the committee member who doesn't want to work, will not take the CM position so that they can now do all the work..

And as stated before, if you pull the work the CM should not be doing onto the committee (adding new committee members to help delegate).. those DL & ACM may then want to take the job eventually..

Remember you want to leave this Pack someday or move to CC with the CM duties being in balance, work being delegated evenly to others, and someone in the Pack willing to step in to fill the position because it is not an impossible job.. That type of change will assure the Pack will stay running for years to come..

Good Luck..