End of year graduation

Our pack is planning to do a ceremony for the end of the year in May. One of the things we are doing is having the boys bring their hat and neckerchief for their next rank and we are going to give them the book and do sort of a crossover for them. My question is, what do we do for the first year Webelos moving on to their second year? They already have their handbook for Webelos, so maybe buy their Boy Scout book??

The Webelos get their Boy Scout Handbook when they are crossing into a Boy Scout Troop.

At end of year graduation ceremonies they generally get a vittle kit, compass, or mess kit.

The ceremony itself depends on what theme we are using. I usually put something together that can be used for all levels.

I remember one year when we used the Cub-O-Matic to "change" the Scouts into their new level, with new neckers, slides, and handbooks, the upcoming 5th graders came out of the machine with their hand carved slides showing the AOL symbol, and a fake arrow thru their head. The boys loved it!

Great question, one I hadn't thought of. Our Pack is fairly new, with new leadership, and we're going to be experiencing this for our first time this summer, as we have 2 Webelos that will be finishing up their first year. In the past we've always had the boys bring their next years neckerchief, slide and hat, that we used in the ceremony, and we bought them their books. Not sure what we'll do for the Webelos 1 going into Webelos 2.

I'll bring it up at our next meeting.

I found myself with this same question last year. We did something very similar to what you are doing. They had already earned thier Webelos badge, so I got all of them a samll brass pin with the Boy Scout symbol on it and told them that was the goal for next season. It went over well.

One thing we also did was put "war paint" on thier faces to signify what rank they were going to. As they marched in, we had an adult leader put an orange mark on the left side of each Tiger (upcoming wolf) face, as they crossed I put a gold mark on the other. Same thing with each rank. The boys thought it was the coolest thing...we had several who didn't want to wash thier face that night!

We usually give the webelos 1's the job of switching out neckerchiefs on a lot of the younger guys, so they feel important and don't realize that they didn't get something new.

we also sometimes give them the boy scout oath or law coin from the scout shop to help them remember the stuff better for their 2nd year of webelos and get ready for their arrow of light award.