ASM7, oh my. According to my father and his friends, the IRS is completely illegal. Please don't get me started!

I believe you want to read the 16th Amendment. Don't have the constitution handy but I think that is the right number. Now, some people will tell you that Amendment was never properly ratified. Do some searching on the web and you will see lots of interesting conversations about it.

I am willing to assume that the federal government has the legal power to impose personal income taxes. The courts have ruled on this more than once. I don't consider the paying of such taxes or filing of a return to be voluntary. It is required by law. It is interesting to observe that the data show that the level of voluntary compliance in the US generally is much greater than in most other countries.

The uniform is a piece of equipment that is bought for the express purpose of supporting the Boy Scout Movement and in a general, can not used for any other purpose, therefore is tax deductible.

Your local council and the BSA are 501©(3) non profit orgranizations by nature and any gift given to them is tax deductible (e.g. Friends of Scouting).

Your local unit(pack, troop, crew) cannot grant tax deductions for gifts, since ALL units are owned by another orgranization, your charter orgranization. If your CO is a non profit orgranization (which there are more flavors then just 501©(3), by the way), they can accept a gift on the unit's behalf to grant the tax deduction.

"I am willing to assume that the federal government has the legal power to impose personal income taxes. The courts have ruled on this more than once."

Duh! Of course they rule this way, any other way would be cutting their throats because they dip out of the same tax pot as everyone else.