ENIP DOOW Derby

Because I enjoy this virtual campfire so much, I had to post this:

We are batting around a new patrol competition - a reverse Pine Wood Derby, where the only main rules so far are:

1. You must start with a Pine Wood Derby block of wood.

2. The car must start from a dead stop, and travel up the ramp, from the center track.

They can build/create just about anything they want. As long as it fits on the track. The furthest car wins. In case of a time, the fastest, furthest car wins...in case there is still a tie...we'd run them until there wasn't.

The race will be outside, in case some patrol opts to use rockets.

Have any of you ever tried something like this?(This message has been edited by fuzzievohs)

Alright Eagle92, I just had to clean the coffee from the screen...LOL!

Just think how the scouts are going to react, if you guys are getting excited.

We tweaked the rules a little, and added: "The vehicle can not leave the track." This might limit the rocket use.

I can't wait to see what the patrols come up with! I'd better get Inventing and Model Design counselors ready to attend.

Oh, and in case the scouts weren't in cubs and don't know what a Pine Wood Derby track looks like, the entire troop will be attending the Pack Derby, in full uniform, to see it first hand (and support the cub scouts)!

I'm sorry to have to put a damper on things, but you're going to have a heckuva time trying to find Enip Doow Derby patches at the Scout Shop.

You'll probably have to give some thought to the rules, since it's likely that the Scouts will think of things that you hadn't thought of. For example, an electric motor won't have much difficulty travelling the full length of the track, so you're probably going to have a multi-way tie for "furthest".

• 2 weeks later...

Troop Committee approved it.

Expanding it and inviting other units to play.

Rules are very simple, and vague, intentionally.

1. Start with BSA Pinewood Derby Kit.

2. Car starts at the finish line, in center track.

3. You cannot push the car.

4. No pyrotechnics.

5. Car can't leave the track.

Winner: Furthest up the track. If a tie, fastest time. Still tied, we run them until there is a winner. No maintenance in between runs.

I can't wait to see what the patrols come up with!

Got any other suggestions?