Our den is working on a den doodle. Each boy is going to paint a wooden star and then put his name on it to hang from the main part of the doodle. I know that we'll need to have string of some sort on each of their stars to put their beads on but I have no idea how to keep the beads on the string and still have the boys be able to add new beads. Do we just tie a knot in the end of the string and then untie it everytime one of them adds beads? I really don't want to end up picking up beads after every meeting.

How about having their star be on the bottom of their string?

You can use a thin string that, when doubled, still fits thru the bead. Double the string and tie a knot where the 2 ends meet. Attach the star over the knot. Hang the string with the star, by the loop formed at the top, on a small cub hook screwed into the Doodle. When you want to add a bead simply take the string off the hook, slide on the bead, and then put it back on the hook.

As long as you attach the star securely you should not loose beads.

They make plastic clips to slide over boot/shoe strings or drawstrings that you can use. You can find them in camping departments of some stores or outdoor specialty stores. These slide along the string when press in a button.

So you tie a knot at the bottom end of the string to hold the beads and run the other end through the hole in the star. Place the string clip on the end at the top - it will keep the string attached to the star. Time to add beads just side the string off, add your beads, put string back through hole in star and reattach clip.

well you will probably end up chasing some beads. boys plus beads = someone invariably tips the can or drops their string and they go everywhere.

if you take the length of bead string with beads on it, and put the string thru the last bead, loop it around and put it back thru the string again, that should hold the beads in place. if you leave that loop, and then add the new beads, and loop them, if they drop he string, you'll only lose the couple of beads you just added. if that makes any sense.

you'll just need lots longer string than you think you would need to do all the loops. alternatively you could tie a knot tight up against the beads after every meeting and not undo the knot, for the same effect of not losing all the beads on the string if the string is dropped.

Those clip hook thingies that you use for fishing line work really well. Attach the clip to the star. Put a loop in the end of another, long piece of fishing line. A wooden bead tied to the end of that works well. It weighs it down so it hangs well plus it stops the beads from coming off the other end. The boys unhook the line, add their beads and then hook it back up to the clip. Even Wolfs can do it.

Thanks for the ideas! I think I'm going to try the drawstring clips to see how that works, maybe in addition to doing the double loop through the double loop through the bottom bead. We're a Tiger, almost Wolf, den and I've realized that these boys can make a mess with anything!