Recruiter Patch Presentation

Bring him up at a Pack meeting... all by himself.

Cubmaster, CC, and his DL come forward.

CM just says a word about Cub Scouting being for friends, and about the Cub Scout "helping the Pack GO."

The grownups hug/shake hands with him, and he's had a moment in the sun.

I'm looking for something a little more detailed than that. I like to plan more of the specifics of what I am going to say rather than "wing it". I like to find things to say that may teach the boys things about the history or traditions of scouting and maybe leave a lasting impression (like a cubmaster minute). A ceremony or a poem, just like those used for other ceremonies, would be great. I had a great one I used last year but it pertained to the 100th anniversary... plus I don't like to use them over again if I can help it.

Jill,

Don't know what you were expecting.... Recruiter Patch in Cub Scouting != something too complicated.

John has the right idea... except maybe to get the "new Cub" up there too. Maybe use that opportunity to show the Pack, how this Cub is "Helping the Pack Go"... you could even have the Cub receiving the patch launch into the cub Scout Promise....

recruiter2002.gif(This message has been edited by dg98adams)

There once was a Cub in our Pack,

Who saw that enough Cubs we did lack.

So he helped out to sign up a friend,

And got this Recruiter patch in the end.

Actually, John-in-KC's idea is better, but you asked for a poem. :)(This message has been edited by clemlaw)

Not every award or patch requires a formal ceremony to leave a lasting impression.

It's the boy talking about how it's great to have a friend in the den or pack that will inspire others to go out and get their friends to join ... not the words of the Cubmaster.(This message has been edited by shortridge)

I agree that not every presentation needs a ceremony. But in this case I have several boys receiving it and we usually don't have recruits outside of regular recruitment night more than once a year. I've had "Uncle Sam" come in and present the webelos with their citizen pins, I've had a "lost hiker" come in and present the hiking belt loop, etc. Just thought there was potential here to make this more interesting.

And I think I've come up with my own idea. I am going to work on doing a little dialogue between boys "at school" to give an example of how you can ask someone to visit your den meeting, etc. I might even have one of the boys who recruited tell us how he did it, what he said, etc.

JillKB,

Maybe you can use a "Planting the seed" idea.

Maybe you can have Johnny Appleseed come in and they can help plant seeds into a ceremic flower pot to become a huge apple tree someday. Or maybe Paul Bunyon, and they can plant an acorn, that will someday turn into a huge Oak tree.

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv

I like the idea of a meaningful ceremony, and I'd like to hear about whatever JillKB and other packs do.

Personally, I invite both the recruiter and the boy recruiter up at a Pack Meeting. The boy recruited is welcomed into the pack and the recruiter is thanked for inviting the boy.

I wear a "Recruiter" strip on my uniform, and I explain that it's one of the proudest awards I have.

I've often thought about giving the boys a $5 gift certificate to McDonalds so they can take themselves out for lunch as buddies.

This is what I used last year. It is geared towards the 100th anniversary but there is no reason why it couldn't still be used:

100 Scouts

1) Over 100 million boys have been a part of the Boy Scouts of American since its start 100 years ago.

2) Of any one hundred boys who become Scouts, thirty will drop out in their first year. Perhaps this may be

regarded as a failure, but later in life, all of these will remember that they had been in Scouting and will

speak well of the program.

3) Of any one hundred boys who have been a scout, only rarely will one ever appear before a juvenile court

judge. Six of the one hundred will become pastors.

4) Of the leaders of this nation in business, religion and politics, three out of four were Scouts.

1) Each of the one hundred will learn something from Scouting, and all will develop hobbies that will add

interest throughout the rest of their lives.

2) Approximately one-half will serve in the military, and in varying degrees, profit from their Scout

training. At least one will use it to save another person's life, and many may credit it for saving their

own.

3) Four of the one hundred will reach Eagle rank, and at least one will later say that he valued his Eagle

above his college degree. Many will find their future vocation through merit badge work and Scouting

contacts.

4) Seventeen of the one hundred boys will become adult leaders and will give leadership to thousands of

additional boys.

5) I think everyone would agree that those are pretty impressive statistics. Id like to share a quote with you

from Will Rogers, for those of you old enough to know who he is.. "The only problem with the Boy

Scouts is there aren't enough of them." As we celebrate the 100th year of scouting, I encourage all of you

to share the opportunity with others. Invite a friend to join scouting.