"Remedial Meeting(s)"

We are running into a bit of a problem with a few of our Scouts in our Pack and I'm wondering how to help. What has happened is due to the weather (we've had quite a bit of snow), schedule issues, a Den Leader who is having personal issues at home, at a myriad of other issues...we have about 6-7 Scouts in our Pack that are a good ways behind on achievements. It is genuinely NOT the Scout's fault (in my opinion) due to the fact that this isn't work that has been assigned and not done, it's work that hasn't even been addressed.

What I'm (CM) thinking about doing is holding 2 or 3 make up or remedial muti-den meetings in conjuction with the Den Leaders. Basically I'll meet with each Scout individually and tell him what he needs to work on to achieve rank in time and in line with the other boys. Then, if possible, we can help him get a few of them done at the meeting.

I have a few in the leadership/committee that are telling me that the Scout either "gets it or he don't", but I think at this age group we need to be more of an advocate than a drill instructor.

Any thoughts or am I setting myself up for disappointment.

I think it's a GREAT idea!

There is a big difference in circumstance.

If a scout has oplenty of oppertunities , but ignores them, wastes them or acts like he doesn't care...well, then you did what you could. The scout made the choice not to care or use the chance.

But when a scout has the choice taken away from him due to leaders not fulfilling their role (even with legit reasons) as the den instructor, or because of other reasons beyond the scouts control ( such as wather, cancellations,or "a myriad of other issues"....then by all means try to make up the chance to make use of the oppertunity that we "sold" them at roundup!

My point of veiw is this: If the scout tried, and the reason he isn't getting there is because of issues within the pack, then the pack owes him a chance to make up/ catch up.

And if trhe reasons are because of a DL..then legit or not, I'd get together with the CC and find another DL ( promote the ADL)to take over until the existing DL gets things settled.

As for the humbugs...tell them the first time they screw up, that they are out ...based on their own approach!

If they have til May, there should be plenty of time to get their rank badges in time and do make up fun meetings in the dens. take the focus of rank off of blue and gold and make it having fun and eating and celebrating scouting,

then when it gets a little close to the end fo the year if some kids are behind, or families don't know what to do, help the den leader go thru books and add a sticky note on the things the families need to do, don't turn it into a meeting long drawn out process or the boys will get a boring meeting followed up with too much homework. or send out emails to the parents with a list of 2-3 things they should do at home to start on the missing items.

Great idea.

As den leaders we have held tidy-up meetings in different formats.

Usually held before B&G and before the last pack event of the school year.

We've done open house drop in style at our home on a weekend (Sunday afternoons seem best in our Pack), or a more organized round robin style at the den meetings. We have fun with it and it is not a drill.

IMHO in cubs, if a boy is behind it is the adults. How the parents run the home, how they understand the program, how they value the program, when the dental appointments were scheduled, how the DL scheduled the year, etc...

With my webs I've started mini den leader conferences (like a SM conference) over their status in achievements (conversations I used to have only with the parents are now held with the boy and parent. -- It's great that they all hear it at the same time.)

Have fun with it, AK

Interesting question, and I don't have "the" answer.

On the one hand, boys who earn their badge are reputed to be more likely to continue in the program.

On the other hand, Cub Scouts should be about having fun, and turning advancement into "school" by doing too much of it at one time may not be good.

What you suggest actually sounds attractive though, especially if leavened with some games and fun as part of the program.

Another possibility might be to place the parents in charge of working their way through achievements at your open house, perhaps giving them confidence to continue the example at home with additional achievements.

Also, I'd look for another parent who can help take the load off the stressed Den Leader. Every Den needs an Assistant Den Leader, and let that be a reminder to me to get another reminder off to my own Den Leaders on that!

Good idea on helping out. What you do not say is what rank they are currently at?

So, I will assume that it's not Webelos II.

Each Scout earns their rank as they can. Granted June is the ideal time since that is when School is generally out. (It's the time when our schools are out..could be different where you are.) So, Tigers, Wolf, Bears and Webelos I can get their Rank when they earn it.

My old Unit Commissioner told me that she has allowed boys who do not earn the rank be end of School year to continue until Aug 31st. That gives them time. Once completed, hold a Rank Advancment ceremony.

As to the "Gets it or he Don't" Cubscouts are supposed to have FUN. They are learning. This isn't Boyscouts! Yes, the Cubscouts need to complete or "DO THEIR BEST" to get it done. Granted if the Cubscout does not do a report on famous Americans or Write a letter...then they do not get credit.

However, if they have broken their arm and cannot write, they can dictate it to another scout who can write.

The other thing that you can do is this: Find out what they are missing or need to do. Then hold a Pack meeting around those items. Have the WHOLE Pack knock them out. Or do it on a Weekend as a Pack Activity. Then, the boys will NEVER know they were behind.

Telling someone that they are behind will cause them stress.

As for the Leadership/Committee tell them holding a boy back because they don't get it...well, they DON'T GET IT!

Your going down the right road. DO YOUR BEST

The assistant Den Leader issue with our Pack is one that I've gone over and over with our Den Leaders with little results. I don't know if it's a control thing or if they just don't have interested parents. Nonetheless, I only have ONE ADL in the WHOLE pack!

I think what I've decided to do is to do something like an open house during our Pinewood Derby Workshop that is coming up next month. The Den that needs the most help is going to be our Bears. I'm going to have to run thru the Bear book again and see what we can do during such an arrangement.

Thanks for your replies everyone.

Ok: Bears. Good to know. Big thing is to find what they have done thus far as a Den. You just might have to talk to the boys and see what they remember.

Sounds like you have a Den Leader and an Ast Den Leader for the Bears? What's going on with the other Leader for the Bears? If one is not working out, then the other should step in. Is your son in this Den? (I am a Cubmaster and my son is a Bear, hence the question.)

What you might have to do is have the talk again with Den Leaders/Committee and lay it out on the line. Below is a good info.

http://www.ptcmedia.net/forum/moms-in-scouting-service/the-perfect-line-parent-recruitment/

You might also have to include the parents. Lay it out on the line. Tell them that if nothing happens, the boys will not be able to earn the Bear Rank. Thus skipping to Webelos without that Patch. It's almost like having their boys fail 3rd grade. Parents do not like that.

Sounds like your a very concerend Cubmaster and your there for the Scouts. Good for you. It just might come down to taking on another hour a week and being the Den Leader for the Bears. Hopefully that just won't be the case.

if it comes to that, you might have to work the Bear Den activies into the Pack Games/Opening/Flag and other things to get them covered. Meaning: use Pinewood Derby to satisfy wood working. Make Ice Cream with the whole Pack via baggies. Take a hike with the Pack at a nature park and talk about Birds!

Another suggestion: Find the local troop. Talk to the Scoutmaster to see if there are Den Chiefs available. Invite the Boy Scouts over to teach something. It gets the Cubscouts excited to see the older boys doing the same stuff they are.

GO TO ROUNDTABLE! Stand up and make the annoucement you need help with Bears! You will get help.

Hope this helps and gets you down the right path and the boys their rank!

I understand where you are coming from. I get a little bit stressed myself sometimes worrying about our program. My ACM and several leaders tell me I'm doing great and not to be so hard onmyself. Of course, they have been doing it longer than me too.

But I'll say this: I like your thinking here. You are going outside the box of "normal and usual" thinking here. You are being creative. That's cool!

Too many people just read the BSA books over and over and over, hoping the answer will pop up.

WE, the books will tell you that all the parents are just anxiously waiting for you to ask them to lead.

But in the real world, we know that parents hide, cringe, avoid us and do the least amout possible aside from bringing their kids to meetings.

So, I think your meeting idea is great!

Thanks for your replies thus far. I've already got the ball rolling on one meeting with the Bears. Hopefully this will "jumpstart" the den.

I have contacted the ADL for this Den and she has agreed to come on board and help get things going. My ACM and myself are going to be working on a project for them within the next couple of weeks.

My son is NOT in this Den, (He's a WI) which makes it even more awkward. I feel like I never spend time with him because I'm always up trying to run things. He tells me he doesn't mind and wants me to continue, but sometimes I wonder.

On that same note, but changing the subject at the same time: Leaders, recognize your sons. At last years Blue/Gold I asked all of the boys who had parents who were leaders or committee members to stand. I then thanked all of them for "Sharing Mom or Dad" with every other Scout in the Pack. We then gave them all a big round of applause. It meant the world to my son and to alot of the other boys too. This year, I'm going to step it up a notch and present them with...something. I just don't know what yet.

(This message has been edited by jamist649)