Another Klondike question: what do you put in a survival kit?

That is, a survival kit for individual Webelos at a cold weather Klondike? I put in a small mirror, a flat, all-weather whistle, button compass, mini flashlight, energy bar, a plastic match holder with strike anywhere matches and some small, purchased firestarters, 10 ft of para cord, mylar blanket, duct tape wrapped around a piece of credit card plastic, 12" x 12" h/d aluminum foil.

For the first aid part, I included a 4" x 4" gauze pad, a 2' x 3" non-stick dressing, some other bandages (regular and super-sized), neosporin in foil pkts, moleskin, tape wrapped around credit card plastic (use as butterflies or steri-strips as well as for holding on dressings).

It all fits in a quart heavy duty freezer bag and that fits into a parka pocket.

Any thoughts about things that should be added, not necessary, changed?

BTW, when space is limited, I usually substitute a larger size gauze pad or dressing than what BSA suggests. Sounds counter-intuitive, I realize, but you can use a large pad to cover a small wound and not the other way around.

Unless one is preparing a survival kit for Alaska, your items might be a bit of an overkill.

I would have each boy use a day/book pack with the following items in it:

2-3 extra pairs of mittens

2-3 extra pairs of wool socks

extra stocking cap

indoor shoes when they get in out of the weather and don't want to walk around inside with wet boots and socks.

plastic bags to keep pack dry and put wet things into once they get wet.

standard personal first aid kit

high energy snacks with sugars and carbohydrates

sun screen

chap stick/lip balm

sun glasses

water bottle

Your mileage may vary,

Stosh

Sounds pretty comprehensive to me, not overkill. I'd add a water bottle, pocketknife and rain gear. And consider replacing the button compass with a real (inexpensive) functional one - I haven't found the button jobbies to work very well.

What is the purpose of the survival kit? Is it a Klondike requirement/test, or just something you're putting together?

For your son to carry around, I'd do everything that Stosh recommended (wool socks cannot be emphasized enough). Hit a thrift store and get a $3 used lightweight day pack/bookbag in case it gets dropped in the snow or mud (it will). The survival kit can just be slipped in there. That's what I do on day hikes.(This message has been edited by shortridge)

Now, I'm not sure if you want to do this with Cub Scouts, and give them the temptation to sit around listening to the radio. But I like to have some kind of cheap radio with me to listen to weather reports, emergency information, and presumably news reports that "they" are out searching for me while I'm lost in the wilderness.

I've seen cheap ones at the dollar store that seem to get most of the local FM stations pretty well.

It's an added bonus if it uses the same batteries as the flashlight.

Again, it might not be appropriate for what you have in mind, but if I had to spend an unexpected night camping in the wilderness, it would be nice to have.

I would also consider adding a big garbage bag, which can become a rain poncho, or possibly form part of a shelter.

Let's keep in mind what the purpose of a survival kit is. It is an emergency kit with the bare minimums in it. Extra mittens, socks, change of shoes - great to have for a winter trip - but not really survival items.

Eliza, looks like you've created a well thought out survival kit. I like that it fits in a quart ziploc - though I'd be tempted to find a quart sized nylon bag to put the ziploc in - ziplocs can tear more easily that a nylon bag. The only things I would add are a small pocket knife (and if they don't have whittlin' chip - get it), and a small lighter, as a redundancy in addition to the matches.

I'm trying to figure out why a Webelos Scouts needs a "survival kit" to visit a Klondike Derby for a few hours. He's going to observe the Boy Scouts in action, eat lunch someplace, and be within walking distance of a car.

I agree with the extra socks and mittens, a water bottle (we have trouble convincing them they need to stay hydrated in the winter), a personal first aid kit. That's about it.

Unless you anticipate that he's going to wander away from the den and his buddy for the day, and not be recovered through the event planners' "Lost Boy" procedures within a small amount of time, a survival kit is more than he needs to be hauling around.

infoscouter - I strongly disagree. Something that fits into a pocket is hardly a huge burden to be hauling around. You can never be too prepared. We should be emphasizing that at every level. When I was in Cubs, I remember learning that I should always carry a dime around to make an emergency phone call. Same principle, different setting.

Besides - it's fun and cool!

Sorry, I just read the question as one for Webelos going to a Klondike for the day. I've been going to Klondikes for years and we haven't lost any of the boys yet, but they do get cold, thirsty and wet so I just went with a practical suggestion. Sometimes it doesn't really accomplish anything to assume more than what the person has written.

The mirror? Most of the Webelos boys don't shave yet, so I'm thinking that won't work out too well for them. Most Boy Scouts don't know how to use a signal mirror so that's one item that gets left behind. I would suggest a laser pointer. Raises hell in the cockpit of an airplane and when the rescue team gets there they might arrest you, but dang, they're going to know where you are faster than a mirror.

I always thought it rather strange even 50 years ago to carry a dime for making a phone call. I never could find many phone booths out in the woods. If I ever did, just following the phone lines away from the booth would lead anyone back to civilization. Then you could use the money to buy a candy bar. :)

Your mileage may vary,

Stosh

Yes, it would be unlikely. But it would be extremely embarassing to be found dead near a telephone in the middle of the woods that you were unable to use merely because you didn't have a dime.

It's kind of like having an electrical outlet in the fallout shelter. Yes, it's unlikely that you'll need it. But it would be really embarrasing to be sitting there in the dark and hear the TV blaring in the other room, but you can't go turn it off because of the radiation levels. :)

Oh, boy, I should have been a bit clearer about this -- we are not expecting any boys to be in real danger, so that they have to actually *use* the survival kits!!! It's a Klondike requirement to carry and explain how to use a survival kit. Last year, when my son was a Webelos I, everyone on his sled team left their survival kits in their backpacks on the sled. Then at one of the stations, the judge asked to see the kits. He would not let anyone go back & get them, but did give boys a chance to explain how the items were used. Of course, without the items in front of them, most boys stood sort of slack jawed. Thankfully, that station's grade was not entirely based on the survival kit. BTW, Webelos in our district participate in the Klondike -- but, based on what I saw last year, I think the Webelos may be graded more leniently. There are separate ranking for Webelos teams & Boy Scout teams -- no direct competition.

I should have mentioned that the list for the kit is based on something I found on the website of the winning Webelos team a few years ago. I can't take credit for all the ideas! Scouts are supposed to bring knives/Whittlin Chip cards in their pockets & water, socks, gloves in their backpacks.

I like the Ten Essentials, especially the common sense. Probably add chapstick and remove a few bandages.

And I can relate to the dime. When I did an EMT course, we were told to tape a dime inside the trauma kit, for calling poison control.

I wanted to share two ideas that appeared in a PM. Use two baggies, so that the kit is not scattered if the bag is used. And add a mini pencil sharpener -- twig in, tinder out. I'll have to try this one!

If we use slightly lighter para cord, everything will fit, I think.