Separate Eagle Ceremonies for Two Eagles

Our troop currently has a dilemma. Two scouts completed their Eagle BOR and the committee began planning one COH to award both the scouts their eagle. These two scouts have been friends since they first joined the troop and had their eagle BOR on the same day. (One of the scouts is my son, and I am the Scoutmaster). The troop committee discussed it and felt it was natural to have them both celebrate their awards at the same ceremony. Both have graduated high school and are at colleges that are nearby, so we will have to work the date around their school schedules.

The problem is that the parents of the other scout have made it clear that they want their son to have a separate ceremony for their scout. They have started calling around to the committee members to lobby for support for two COHs. I proposed that they come to the next committee meeting and make a proposal for their COH. They have agreed, however I am sure they will dig their heels in. I am of course concerned that this situation will turn a very positive situation into hurt feelings and upset leaders. Any suggestions? What have other troops done when faced with planning COHs for multiple eagles?

A little background info: we are a fairly large troop of 50 scouts of which 19 are life scouts. Many are working hard on their eagles and we expect several of these to complete their eagle in the next 6-12 months. The troop has never been in this situation before. It is a nice dilemma to have to see so many reach eagle, but I am concerned about being overwhelmed with holding Eagle COH's if they are all done on an individual basis.

Last spring we had three Scouts earn their Eagles within a month of each other and all had separate COHs. If memory serves, the first to get his Eagle was the last to have a COH. I asked about this and was told that it is unusual to have multilple Eagles at one COH, much like you rarely see double weddings.

Ask the Scouts involved what they'd like. After all, the parents didn't earn the award, the Scout did.

I have seen a multiple Eagle COH. All three boys earned their rank at the same time, and are best buds. It was a natural result. Most of the time troops don't have so many Eagle at once.

Our current troop has a similar situation, and our committee has been discussing the same topic. Usually the troop puts on the COH, including all awards and refreshments. I hear we do a bang-up job, though I've not been to one yet.

I agree with Yaworski, ask the Scouts what their wishes are. I'd bet they'll go for a joint COH. If the parents of the other scout still insist on separate ceremonies, and their son agrees with them, suggest they foot part of the bill - assuming finances may be part of the consideration. If finances are not a real consideration, go ahead and have separate COH. It is a celebration on their achievement, not a point of dispute. To make it so would ruin it for both Scouts, as I'm sure you already realize.

In our Troop, the Eagle Scout plans his own Court of Honor. There are so many variables, including the possibility of multiple Eagle presentations, the SM works with the Scout on what "he" wants in the presentation. The family has limited input, but usually want to do the reception afterwards. The Troop actually performs the Eagle presentation, but there are usually guest speakers ranging from past Pack leaders, Troop leaders, Scout friends from other Troops, and teachers. In the spirit of the Eagle, the possibilities are endless, but unless the Scouts want merged ceremonies, I'd advise to keep them separate. Each Eagle Scout is unique, as should be his Eagle COH.

Let them have separate ceremonies. Being in college, they can make the decision but the scouts or parents should not be strong armed into a dual ceremony. I've seen a ceremony that included 7 getting eagle. It took away from the individual achievement. It looked more like "what the committee and leaders could do" than celebrating the personal achievement of a scout.

The scout, parents, and committee need to be involved in the planning and running the ceremony.

In my Troop, the Eagle & his family handle the all the arrangements for the COH. I assist in the ceremony planning & the Troop handles the actual ceremony.

Let them have separate ceremonies. I see nothing wrong with this.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

On this subject, I have several personal observations -

Multiple Eagle Courts of Honor are usually painfully long (over two hours). My oldest son was part of an Eagle Court of Honor for three boys. It approached three hours. Here are some of the reasons: special speakers for each boy, a review of each boy's scout history, letters of recognition presented to each boy, pins and tie tacks for all of the parents, etc.

An Eagle Court of Honor for a single scout allows the troop and others to make the occasion special. It focuses the spotlight on the one boy, as it should be.

While it is for the Scout's benefit, a good Eagle Court of Honor will afford parents the opportunity to express their feelings about their son. By that, I don't necessarily mean that most parents want or should be speakers. I mean - it is a special occasion that's honoring their son and parents should have some input.

Parents and/or others are free to pay, plan, and organize their own Eagle Court of Honor.

Troops are not legally obligated to pay for an Eagle Court of Honor.

Troops are not legally obligated to even plan and coordinate an Eagle Court of Honor. Ethically obligated? That's a different story.

Theoretically, there could be more than one Eagle Court of Honor for each boy (one presented by the troop and another by the parents or someone else).

The above are merely observations, not recommendations. Here is my recommendation:

Ask each family (scout and parents) to come to a decision about their own preference. Let each boy work this out with his parents without interference from the troop. In other words, don't put the troop committee in the middle of a family argument.

If both faimilies are in agreement, then do the joint Eagle Court of Honor as planned. If one or both families want separate courts of honor, then advise each family what the troop is willing to contribute in terms of resources (money, people, etc.) and work with them to achieve their desires.

In short, work with each family and don't make this occasion a reason for hard feelings. Obviously you have a strong opinion because your family is one of the two involved. However, I think if the other family insists on a separate court of honor, the troop has to respect that and work with them.

I'm with the "ask the boys" contingent. If they can't agree (one wants his own, one wants a buddy ceremony) go with two and work in a brief recognition of the other at each of them. No sense in forcing the issue and potentially ruining the day for both.

I'm with the "ask the boys" contingent.

Perhaps this statement implies more then what is actually stated. If so, then we may be in agreement. Regardless, I think it's inappropriate for the troop to accept a decision by the boys without regard to their parents. It has great potential to create disharmony within each boy's family. If the troop doesn't want to consider the parents, then they should at least tell the boys to do so. I would not accept either boy's decision until they discussed it with their respective parents. Otherwise, "duty to family" rings hollow.

We always seem to have our eagles in "flocks" 2-3-4 at a time. Such a problem to have! We usually have combined ceremonies, as the boys have wanted it that way. We do keep the ceremony dignified yet keep it down to a little over an hour. It also look great having the room filled to capacity with friends and relatives!

We have always wondered if you have 2-3-4 ceremonies over a short period of time if the last boy gets the "ho-hum, another eagle ceremony" and attendance suffers.

We usually ask the boys to discuss it with the families and make a decission. We give them all their options, pro and con. We've had boys wait as long as 5 months for a friend to get them together. There is only one Troop in our area that had 5 COH in 6 months and attendance did fall off at the last few- not sure why.

If there is any doubt that both families are 100% behind one ceremony I would have two of them.

I have seen it done both ways. The troop we are with now usually has Eagle courts once a year for whoever made it, and that usually means more than one eagle. There is some risk of this becoming an overly long event, but limiting the number of speakers should control this. The tradition established of a single court for all new eagles has been strongly established now and I think it is the way to go for a troop that routinely produces multiple eagles within a twelve month period. You will get better attendance at such an event than if you have several eagle courts during the year. It is no less special for recognizing several boys simultaneously.