Webelos Transition to Boy Scouts

You are correct, it is very clearly "or". To earn the AOL the boy must: "1.Be active in your Webelos den for at least six months since completing the fourth grade (or for at least six months since becoming 10 years old), and earn the Webelos badge". Which I think is is pretty clear. If the boy is in fact active for six months as a Webelos after turning 10 and has completed the requirements of AOL they are able to bridge even if they are in the 4th grade. Around here that would be unusual because we are used to boys turning 10 in the 5th grade as they start Kindergarten at 5. Here, it would be very unusual for us to see a boy who is 10 in the 4th grade but I am sure it is different in other parts of the country but that is something I would not be used to.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stand corrected. A boy has to be either 10 1/2 yrs old or 6 months past the completion of 4th grade to get AOL. I don't understand people trying to rush this. Honestly, the typical 4th grader doesn't need to be in a Scout troop. They aren't independent enough.

perdidochas......

my son may be the exception to the rule. He has been a tag along with various troops for 6 years. at 10 years old he was better able to take care of himself than some first class scouts I have seen. The Troop he has joined actually made him a guest and put him in a Patrol for camping purposes. So since he was a bear he was functionally in a troop. At 11 he is the patrol leader and a fantastic cook. I couldn't be prouder.

The reason for him attending these events is my wife working weekends and nights making me a virtual single parent. So part of the agreement for me being the second adult was him tagging along.

So in a nutshell his Webelos experience

June 1 became webelos

July attended resident camp

September completed webelos badge

September turned ten

February Awarded AOL, yes a month early

Crossed over and JOined the troop.

All I can say is it depends on the scout.

perdidochas - I agree with you about the maturity level of the boys. I guess that they could earn the A of L award in the 4th grade and still stay for another year as a Webelos Scout while they're in the 5th grade.

Based upon everyone's feedback what my Committee Chair and I are looking at doing for next year is the following:

We plan on introducing a tried and proven "one year curriculum" for a boy to earn his Arrow of Light that was provided to us at the Council training workshop. We would expect (and hope) that most, if not all of those boys that actually earn their AoL would come back to the Webelos program for the next year and help provide leadership to that Den.

Another benefit of this "one year curriculum" would be if a boy joins the pack as a 5th grader, then we will have a proven program in place that we can present to him and his parents. It will show them that if they will just follow the guidelines then that boy can still earn his Arrow of Light award, even if his missed his entire 4th grade year as a Webelos.

Any feedback?

Not sure if every DL is rushing the AOL, other to say it can happen.The AOL is not a hard thing to in a year, especially if you have active boy. I don't think it is also fair to make a boy wait to join if HE CHOOSES.

My den I have boys close to requirements, and ones that will be next year as they are the ones who misses alot meetings, etc... My son has been to camp and we are a year around pack, so in june and our den started june. We been active so boys could earn enough to finish the requirements for AOL, but just because boy has earned it doesn't mean he has to or wants to join a troop right then.

Think a lot of it is "what does boy want to do"?

That is a very good point and I have had boys stay in Webelos until the second June. I also dislike a boy getting AOL on the day he bridges. I think he should get AOL when he is eligable and wear it on his uniform while he continues in Webeleos until bridging. If the AOL is the end goal of Cubs then why should Eagles continue after they have earned their rank? JMO

Hawk

Many/most Eagles do not continue in scouting as a youth after they receive the Eagle. The program simply isn't geared to keep them......An outstanding troop will keep their interest, one with lots of high adventure, most troops will not.

It has been my experience the eagle and quit, just that simple. I will say 1 in 15 will stay on more than a year.

When I received my Eagle I hung around for a year or so then my interest faded, the other guys in my patrol, got jobs and cars and girl friends. It happens.

Hawk,

Agree with you about the "got it" now move on type of approach

that seems to be norm. Having a boy Still with his den even for a few months after earning his AOL is good thing sometimes.

Other boys that are behind can see it can be done.

I like the part of knowing that I told my son after he gets his AOL there is no rush to join a troop. He can take more time and find one that works for him. Not only that he can go camping with them more to see if he really likes the troop.

Hawk,

that seems to be norm. Having a boy Still with his den even for a few months after earning his AOL is good thing sometimes.

I like the part of knowing that I told my son after he gets his AOL there is no rush to join a troop. He can take more time and find one that works for him. Not only that he can go camping with them more to see if he really likes the troop.

Hawk,

>>We plan on introducing a tried and proven "one year curriculum" for a boy to earn his Arrow of Light that was provided to us at the Council training workshop. We would expect (and hope) that most, if not all of those boys that actually earn their AoL would come back to the Webelos program for the next year and help provide leadership to that Den.

Basementdweller, I am happy to say my experience does not mirror yours. I personally know dozens of active Eagle Scouts that I interact with. I have not yet known a boy who has gotten his Eagle that has dropped out although I am sure eventually it will happen. Part of my sons motivations have been boys that are Eagles that are still with the units day in and day out. My oldest son has been motivated by quite a few boys that he knows well that have their Eagles and continue on and set a great example for the rest. By the time my son was a Webelos he knew approximately 2 dozen active Eagles including the three boys next door, two of the boys that were Den Chiefs in the pack, some boys in the Venture Crew (my son is dying to be eligible to join!) along with most of the summer camp youth staff. Maybe it is where you are (or where I am?) but the only boys around here that get their Eagles that seem to drop out are the 18yo ones! Even at that some are still Venture or OA so we still see them. My last CM and current SM is a local man who got his Eagle and never faded.

By summer, I'm transitioning to a Webelos Leader. All I see as I look to what we will be doing for the next year and a half is a really cool opportunity to get into a whole lot of fun. We can camp, get out to local trails, Scouting events, and other places, create adventures, build things, and get into all sorts of trouble that boys like to get into. I think I'm going to be finding ways to send these boys home dirty, if you get what I mean. It just sounds like a blast to me, removing a lot of the restrictions and controls that we've had as a Wolf and Bear. We'll still need parent involvement and adult leadership, but it can be the boys helping identify cool and awesome things to do and experience. I can hardly wait - I actually doubt they will see us on the den meeting nights all that often, so there won't be a lot of sitting around a table unless it is planning our next adventure. I want an eighteen month program to get it all in, but my goal is to have them not even wanting to go to soon, but geared up for the possibilities once they get to Scouts. As a Webelos Leader, I can get them thinking creatively, and help them turn whatever they imagine into something they can see. By the time they get to Scouts, they won't be thinking the only adventure they can find is in a video game, but in making the world around them better than a video game.

I think you have the right attitude, drmbear.

I especially like the idea of not being at den meetings with Cub Scouts all that often.

I'd be looking at Boy Scout Troop meetings where you can hang out, do some program activities and have Scouts do some teaching of your Webelos while you get ready to go hiking or camping with the Troop on suitable activities.

If you have several troops near you, that might keep you pretty busy!

Best thing about Webelos for those who have adventure and imagination:

Catapults.

Hopefully the hot link works: Webelos Catapults, if not, google Webelos catapults.

And I hope the G2SS police don't outlaw those because they are shooting the dads!