the right thing

Our Scout Shop has lots of "unofficial" patches that have phrases like "Scout Spirit" or "Good Turn" or that sort of thing. As Cubmaster (and now as trainer), I would keep some of those in my "Cheer Box", so that when some Scout did something above and beyond at a campout or meeting, they might get that extra something to highlight it.

Many kids don't care . . . and, yeah, let's not do it for the patch or bauble . . . but it's really the celebration of doing good that's important.

Congrats for having a good Scout there!

In the military, senior officers will sometimes carry an impact award item (like a special coin) to hand out when they encounter someone doing something particularly right. The more personal the item, the better.

An idea that I picked up from my old scoutmaster was to collect the grommets after a flag retirement. Tie the grommet to a short leather cord loop. Wrap the loop around a neckerchief and it makes a unique slide.

I've made and used these as impact awards for special events staff and such, usually by taking off the loop from my necker and putting it on the guy.

Contact your district advancement chairman. The young man may well be eligible for a Certificate of Merit. Certificates may be awarded either locally or nationally for "significant acts of service that is deserving of recognition."

The local certificates are awarded by the council advancement committee. I believe most committees will (or in my opinion should) consider a Scouts age in looking at the award. What may not be worthy of recognition for a 17-year-old Eagle Scout may well merit recognition for a Tiger Cub.

Can't hurt to ask.

"Good turns should need no reward..." I agree completely!

Doing the right thing is it's own award and living the scout oath and law.

BUT..Standing that kid up at the pack meeting and handing him a small token ( such as an medal on the red white and blue ribbon) is what confirms and certifies that he did the right thing!

Plus it is a lesson to others.

Giving a proud Scout Salute to that scout!

I agree, "Good turns should need no reward" but this is an excellent opportunity to use to sell good turns. Yes, I said "sell". Too many kids and adults forget that doing the right thing is not always the easy thing to do and these type of situations make excellent opportunities to sell the other kids on doing the right thing. Does the boy need an award for doing it? No, but giving him one in front of everybody will certainly make others think about it when they are in the same spot as well as reinforcing the value of having done the right thing to the boy. JMO

I've started doing a "Scout of the Month" for this kind of thing. Yeah, they shouldn't need to be rewarded but they are little kids. I've noticed the behaviour of the boys being a lot better and everyone trying to go the extra mile. And it's not much.....a patch from the State Park we camped at that no one eles got...a flag cermony patch for the 2 boys who put the flag up when everyone eles forgot....this month it might be the boy who has the best sportmanship at the Debry race.

Now they know we really see what they are doing every meeting and when we are out.

Diana

I think I have the perfect token. I was incorrect it was Menards not Lowes. Just so happens I have a friend who's husband works at Menards. For Christmas they gave each employee a Menards toy semi truck. They don't have any young boys in their family, so they gave it to me. Perfect timing.

I understand the good turn needs no additional reward, but recognizing him in front of the Pack will sell scout spirit.

Not sure the Tiger would go for it as the first one but maybe. . .

I wear a reminder daily. . .A bracelet put out by national available at the Web site or Supply store that says: "Do a good turn daily" as someone who works in customer service that little piece of blue rubber (?) has helped me to keep my cool more times than I can count.

A Scout is courteous. . .A Scout is courteous. . .A Scout is courteous. . .

We had a neat program at professional training aptly called the "Good Turn Award." It was a miniature copy of the scout statue that stands out front of the Irving office.

A good turn was observed by the staff, then the statue was passed out in a ceremony to recognize the good turn itself, not the person. The temporary holder of the statue in turn looked for another good turn to honor, and the statue was passed then from participant to participant.

It's great to see boys understanding the concept of helping their fellow man and beginning to look for the same qualities in each other.

Can't believe I almost forgot about this!

Back in October, during our pack campout, our ACM went anf bought $10.00 worth of gold $1 coins.

What we did was keep an eye on all the scouts and see who did something that really showed living up to the spirit of the Scout Oath and Scout Law.

But we didn't tell anybody we were going to do this.

On Saturady night, during the campfire program, the ACM announced what we did.

Then we called out 10 scouts who were to be presented the coins.

The scouts had no idea that this was gonna hapen, so it made it so much better for them.

I can imagine that most of those coins are either lost or "out of sight/ out of mind" .

But the fact that we showed recognition and pride in doing a good ded or the rightb things is still rememberd by many.

ManyHats,

Greetings!

I'm very glad that the Tiger Cub did the right thing and committed a good turn.

But putting on my skeptic hat on for a little while.

Did he find the rightful owner? Mall Security? A Police Officer? or the Lowe (Menards) store customer service?

I would hope that the rightful owner who dropped it, received it back. Or even a police officer would commit it toward the local police charity. But a mall security or a store customer service, I am critical. At least with the store customer service, it would probably be added to their nightly profits.

A wallet of money. Much easier. There should be plenty of IDs for the entire wallet to be returned to the rightful owner. Who cares about the amount, the victim is readily identified.

Don't get me wrong. It is a good deed by this Tiger Cub. I just hope the recepient handled it appropriately.

Now on the humorous side. I know one of my Eagle Scout sons, would have picked it up. The first thing he would do is ask a nearby customer if they have dropped anything. He is an honest guy. But in an empty parking lot, if there were no other customers around, he would have whispered ever so quietly "did anyone happen to drop this small bill?" (I would type in smaller font, if I could).

Back to my opinion. I would highly recognize him for his honesty and good deed. But I would warn him about whom the appropriate recepient is. If it ends with the absolute lack of any identifiable or valid victim, then the Cub Scout Pack may be a very good community based program to donate 100 dollars towards.

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv

ManyHats,

Greetings again!

Sounds like the Paul Harvey's radio show, "And Now for the Rest of the Story".

I am glad that the Tiger Cub did a good deed, but I am even more at rest that an actual customer realized they were at a loss.

Again, I can humorously imagine a stampede after a public service announcement in a large store "If anyone lost a hundred dollar bill, please come to the customer service to obtain your 100 dollars".

Good Deed for the Tiger Cub still!!!

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv