Recognizing New Pack Leaders

The pack I work with has had heavy turnover in leadership, with both den leaders new, a new Committee Chair and a ScoutParent Co-ordinator who did the rechartering last year and this year.

I cut neckerchiefs out of bedsheets and cut slides out of tree branches with a hole bored through the middle. These go to boys at out recruiting nights so they are "in uniform" right away.

This fall, I've started some new recongition for new adult leaders. At the first pack meeting after they complete their adult leader applications, they and their son are called up to be recognized. The Cub Scout helps put a neckerchief and slide around their parent's neck, just as the parents put a neckerchief on their son when he was recruited.

The parents receive a nice certificate with their name, office and date with their badge of office lightly glued to the certificate. The certificate is in a three hole punched plastic holder.

I swear in the new parent to their office " I promise to do my best to carry out my duties as _____________________ and to Obey the Law of the Pack"

I usually tell parents they can decorate their neckerchief by sewing or gluing their badge of office to it or they can get a regular uniform if they wish.

I think it's good for Cub Scouts to see parents join the pack with trappings similar to their own induction into the pack.

And I think parents like to see their sons seeing them be recongized for their commitment to the pack.

I also hopw that the Cub Scouts and Parents who aren't being recognized will decide that that recognition is worth having.

What kind of recognition of adult leaders do you do in your units?

Our pack is a uniform pack, so the necker thing might not work for us (for the boys, since the Cub Scout neckers are the official wear necker). Adult leaders are expected to be in uniform to lead by example and the boys are also. If they can't afford a uniform, we get them one from our uniform closet.

As for recognition, we make sure that all leaders that are deserving of knots are awarded said knots at our awards banquet, along with a certificate. We are trying something new this year; we budgeted a little out of popcorn sales to do an overnight lock-in, just for leaders and their sons, as a thank you.

My Pack gives all scouts their BSA Handbook at registration. They do not have to be in uniform at that point, but we do want them to be able to start going thru their Handbook. We encourage the parents to look thru it with their son, read the parent section in front, and do the Youth Protection booklet with him.

We generally do not recruit leaders at registration. We get to know them a bit first.

At the Scout's first Pack meeting they are presented with their necker, and a slide. The same goes for new leaders. At their first Pack meeting after turning in their registration they are presented their necker, a slide, and their position patch, by either the outgoing leader, or the CM. We do not do home made uniforms, so we present only BSA neckers. The slides, however, are usually wood burned tree branch slices.

The idea of having the son put the necker on the parent is a good one.

At our end of year Pack meeting, all leaders are called up, and thanked with a certificate, and a small, usually silly, gift.

Whatever you do in recognizing your new leaders, just don't miss one. At our last pack meeting, the CM recognized the adult leaders with thank you gifts (new neckers)...All of us, except one. Not sure why since he is a hard charger. I'm hoping it's because he already has the WB training necker, but it was awkward having him just stand there next to us who were receiving our neckers. He didn't even get a verbal acknowledgement from the CM. I asked him if he knew why and he said he didn't know, maybe he upset someone. I asked if he's going to ask the CM about it and he said why bother, he had other stuff to worry about. He a old hand at this so I'm not as worried, but can you imagine if it was a new leader that just got recruited and not quite sure about this CS yet?(This message has been edited by AFscout)

• 2 months later...

At one of our University of Scouting classes, one of the students shared that he as the CM presented all the pack and den leaders with the black BSA nametag. $5 per nametag, but he thought it was a good way to recognize them in front of the pack, thank them for their service, and have way for all the parents to know the leader's names. I thought that was pretty cool.

WOW! Can't believe I missed this one when it originally posted.

I think it'sa great idea and I am planning something similar at the end of this year and the beginning of next year.

At the end of this year, our pack is losing 4 adults:

Pack awards and advancement chair, CC, Webelos DL and our ACM

I went and bought 4 plain straight shaft hiking sticks at the scout store and bought a Dremel rotary tool.

For the ACM, I carved a hand grip and the AOL symbol as well as carved his name into it and "ACM - PACK 235"

I had all the boys in the pack sign it as well as inscribe this saying:

"One hundred years from now,

it will matter not what my bank account was,

how big my house was, or what kind of car I drove.

But the world may be a little better,

Because I was important in the life of a child."

For the Webelos DL, I carved a handgrip, then the Webelos symbol, his name , and "DL Pack 235",..... then had the boys from his den sign it.

For the CC, Handle, engraved a gavel and his names as well as " CC -Pack 235"

For the Awards and advancement chair: The handle, an award ribbon, and "Awards -Pack 235"

So after the cub all finish with their graduation ceremony, I am going to call themup and have their sons present the hiking sticks to them. THis is not at the WEbelos crossover and AOL, but the graduatiion of the rest of the cubs.

Next year, I plan to presnt the trained patch as well as the position patch to all my leaders. And I agree that the boys will like it since it will be the same way they get their awards and recognition.