Bear Badge ?

I could use opinions on the following...if anyone would like to give me theirs.

Last year I had a cubscout drop out, because he had not received his Wolf Badge at the same time as the other boys. His Mom told me that they were both disappointed and turned off and that her son had felt left out when the other boys received their Wolf badge without him. He had joined later in the year and had more catching up to do, than the other boys...that is why he did not receive his badge at the same time. Now this year I have a few scouts that have missed more than a few den meetings and may or may not have done the work at home. Some missing den meetings were outings and would be hard to make up at home.

Therefore, my question is...Do I submit my whole den as receiving the Bear badge at the end of our cubscout year. Even if all of the Achievements are not completed by some of the boys, since the motto is"Do Your Best"? I do not want to turn anyone off from Cubscouts. Feedback please.

I would privately talk with the parents and get them to understand what needs to be done to accomplish the Bear Badge, unless there are requirements that state, "with your den.. go to.." it is not impossible for the few parents to organize their own little outings to get it done.. Let them know unless it can be done before rank advancement they will need to get their Bear badge when the badge is completed by them.

First off you have more then one, so no one should be singled out.

Second off "Do your best".. means "DO" .. Not just "recieve for no work".

Third off.. You are sending the wrong message to the boys who worked for the badges if they see you get the badge whether you work for it or not, and you will not be helping the boys at all when they crossover to scouts, because "Do your best" even goes away at that point on some things.. Either you can swim or you can't.. Either you know CPR or you don't.. etc.. And they will get no credit for just trying.. So to get them prepared for Boy scouts, at least stick by the "do your Best" motto.

First of all - Welcome to the Forum. Now - on to your question.

I wouldn't do it. And here is why - once your "Doug and Wendy Whiner" parents (the old SNL "couple") get their way once - it will never end (I'm dealing with this with Tiger parents now). They need to understand that the program is supposed to help the boys develop character traits (honesty, perserverence, a work ethic, etc.). Just hanging meaningless badges on them because Mommy and Daddy say so runs counter to this purpose and the boy loses out in the long run. As an aside - parents like that are IMHO "posterchildren" for most of what is wrong with American society today - an overdeveloped sense of self importance and a need for recognition whether deserved or not.

With that said - I would make every effort to arrange for them to "make up" the requirements - let them know you will help them, but it will take a commitment on their part, and that THEIR child will be the benefitiary of that commitment.

Now if the boys do "catch up" or receive the advancement later - be sure to recognize the achievement and the extra effort it took. This will let them know (as well as their parents) that it did't go unnoticed.

Good Luck with your efforts to run a quality program.(This message has been edited by RipVanScouter)

I'm doing my best (hey, where did I hear that before) to make sure my Tiger parents are kept up to date on what their Tiger is missing. I'm also doing my best to let them know what we're probably going to do again as a den, and what we're not going to do.

For example, for the ones who missed museum/older person visit, I've let them know that we probably won't be doing that again, so they should do that as a family. On the other hand, if they missed the hike, don't worry, because we'll probably do that again.

It's looking like everyone is going to be earning the Tiger badge at about the same time. But if they don't, it's only because the parents didn't take advantage of the opportunities to catch up on what was missed.

Yep to all above, and here are some things that worked for my den...

The Bear book has lots of electives for each category. So, if boy misses the knots meetings parents can substitute with something else in that category. A parent who can not fill in at this level either doesn't want to, is not paying attention, or doesn't get it.

The main point is A LOT of communication with the parents. Boys need to fully understand also the impact of missing what is done in the den. A den advancement poster / attendance roster can really help with this. In my limited experience, some parents rise to the occasion with deadlines (last minute -- very frustrating to me as a den leader).

Some parents have done well with a 1 page sheet that shows all the achievements and electives. I use the beartrax spreadsheet for this.

I've scheduled open house type meetings prior to B&G to catch up on reguirements missed. This covers illnesses, family travel, late joiners, and alternative choices ..... to a point.

I've just started "den leader conferences" with my WebI boys. Parent and boy -- about 5 minutes long. Seems to be working with my families, boy and parent hearing the same thing at the same time.

My denner (rotates monthly) calls every boy to remind them of each activity. This has reduced the "I forgot there was a meeting".

Also, I've had some success adding into my den schedule some things that are earned entirely in the den that are smaller than the badges of rank. (LNT, belt loops, pins). So the boys are recognized more often.

Your mileage may vary -- AK

Keep in mind that, even using the new Cub delivery system, awards are not earned in group lockstep. Recognition should be given as soon as a requirement, or award, has been completed. You should not hold onto awards until everyone has finished.

Also, the window to earn awards does not slam shut on the day of Blue and Gold. Scouts have until the end of the school year to complete the requirements for awards in their Cub level. For rank awards (not electives or others) they can even take a few more weeks, as long as they do not start working on requirements for awards at their new Cub level.

There is a lot of flexibility in the Cub Scout program, and especially in the Bear program. You can do multiple den activities that can either be used toward rank, or electives. That way the boys who have completed a Bear requirement for rank, do not have to repeat the same thing again for boys who have missed it. They can participate in other requirements in the section and count them as electives, while boys who missed doing the first one can count this as a rank requirement.

Never, ever, give away an award that has not been earned. If you get the boys, and their families, in the habit of doing things this way, they will be in for a real culture shock if/when they get to Boy Scouts. You will loose them completely at that point.

I would not give awards that have not been earned, period. This sets a bad precedent to the boys who did not complete the rank badge activity, and it minimizes the work of the boys who did complete the badge. Believe me, the boys know who has done what!

Our den had the issue of a boy joining very recently, after many boys are 3/4 thru the Bear Badge. I explained to the scout and parents that he was "behind" the other boys in terms of badge progress, but that was OK because scouting was not just about the badges, and that he could work on anything at home that he missed.

Regarding awarding badges to boys as soon as they have earned them, this is a great practice because it motiviates the boys who might be "behind" because they see the others progress. Using the badge progress posters are also great.

I agree with what is said from the others.

Parents need to be informed.

For whatever reason the boys are behind, they can use this:http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/CubScouts/Leaders/DenLeaderResources/DenandPackMeetingResourceGuide/BearDenPlans.aspx to help guide and help them earn what they need to.

There are a lot of things that the boys can do at home and with the parents.

Last year we had a boy join late, but earn his Webelos Badge and AOL in 6 months.

One thing that I learned from my Unit Commissioner last year is that she gives the boys up till the day before the start of school the next year to complete everything. If the Parent shows that they have been workign and they completed before that start date, then she woudl award that badge.

Some packs run year round and not on school calendar. Because of that I extended that to one parent whose son started very late in the year.

OVerall, it is communication from the Den Leader (and maybe Pack Committee) to the parents letting them know what their respondsibility is. Also, I would start awarding rank badges as soon as they earn them. Then at the end of the year, hold a crossover for the whole den. They ALL CROSSOVER to the next rank. Nothing stops that. That way they are all included.

The problem with giving them until school starts again in Fall to finish up their rank award is that they can not work in more than one Cub level at a time. So, nothing they do over the summer would count toward any requirements for their new Cub level.

They would need to choose old level, or new level, not both. Also it is only the rank award that can be worked on, not electives, or other awards from the lower level.

Cub Scouts is age appropriate. BSA automatically bumps Cub Scouts up to their new level on June 1st of every year, no matter what. BSA gives boys some leeway in finishing up their rank award, but they should really be concentrating on working in their new level, not earning everything they can in their old one.

As everyone has said, the boys don't have to earn everything at the same time. Only once have all my boys earned rank at the same time.

We hand out rank at pack meetings as it's earned. We've never done B&G as the huge rank ceremony like some other packs do. I'd give the parents and boys a heads up that they are a bit behind the other boys, & let them know what they still need to do. We have a big crossover to the next rank ceremony each June at our picnic. All boys take part in this, since they are all moving up to the next rank regardless. If your pack does similar, let the parents know their son son will be a part of that whether he chooses to complete his current rank or not. That way no one feels left out for not advancing with the rest of the boys. It also drives home the point that it's not personal, he just didn't do the work.

The advancement of the boys is rooted in the concept of developing self-confidence. They only way they can do this is to actually know they did the work. If the advancement of the boys is rooted in the concept of developing self-esteem, all we need to is hang trinkets on their uniforms and they will "feel good about themselves." The two dynamics are not synonymous with each other. Self-esteem is everyone telling you you're great. Self-confidence is knowing yourself that you're great.

The development of self-esteem has destroyed more self-confidence than anything else we have snowed our children into understanding. Self-esteem wanes as a person grows up and self-confidence grows. The more we retard that process the longer it is going to take for the boys to develop it.

Once the boy earns the badge, he gets it. He has a whole year to do so and if his buddies beat him to it, so be it. Not everyone that sits back and gets freebies deserves the AOL, same with Eagle for the Boy Scouts. He needs to learn this process early in life so when he does get his AOL/Eagle it has some real meaning for him.

Stosh

I don't mean to hijack Gordy's thread but I felt my issue was along the lines of his topic.

I'm a TDL for the first time after being out of scouting for some 34 years. I'm in agreement that the boys don't have to be lockstep in their progress to advancement, specifically to the Tiger badge. So exactly how do you get a boy to make up a "Go See It" activity. As Chemlaw said, a hike is a hike and is easy to make up as usually this is a repeat activity, but what about an organized prearranged activity like a guided tour of the police station? If this was the only activity the boy missed do you just allow him to advance with the others? Somehow that just doesn't seem right, but at the same time I don't want to turn him off the program at such a young age. Boy Scouts I can understand, but I'd sure hate to loose a 7 year old his first year out. Thoughts, anyone?

This is my first post to the board. Been a lurker for a while, reading and learning. Why I waited some 34 years to get back into scouting I'll never know. I'm having a blast!

Even go see its can be completed with the family. Many communities have events with fire trucks to tour. Lowe's Home Improvement stores had a free event here a few weeks ago where my kids got to talk to the fire fighters and tour the truck. Schools have events with fire fighters or police officers. Parents can also arrange for a family tour of stations. I do it all the time as a homeschooling parent. I know the requirement says visit a fire or police station, but I think the point is to visit with the officers and learn how they do their job, which can be done by visiting them at an event or elsewhere.

Sometimes, you may have to fudge a little. We were having issues touring a newspaper or news station a few years back, none were letting us in at hours that didn't conflict with school. Now I'm a freelance journalist, but talking to me didn't feel like the boys were meeting the spirit of the requirement. Instead, I had another freelancer buddy come in and help the boys put together their own newspaper, then we headed to the copy shop so they could take it to the "presses." (we also had a tour of the copy shop) They then presented it to the rest of the boys at the next pack meeting, and it was a huge hit.

If the boy really wants to earn tiger and the parents are supportive, there are creative ways to meet the go see it requirements that meet or exceed the spirit of the requirements. I know some purists will disagree with me, but hey, we have to work with what we have sometimes.

BSA73,

I'm also a new TDL, but I've only been away from Scouting for about 30 years. :)

The issue hasn't come up yet, but the Older Person/Museum visit was one of our first meetings, and we had a couple of new Tigers since then. I figure that even though it's supposed to be a Den activity, it's within the spirit of the rule to just have them do it as a family.

We're also having problems arranging the TV/Radio station visit. I've found a few local stations that are willing to give tours, but so far, they're only available during the workday, when we're not. If we can't line anything up, we'll just wing it. In fact, if we can't do anything else, I'm a ham radio operator, so I'll just bring my own station to the meeting. (If others are having the same problem, chances are, there's a local ham radio club that would be happy to give a demo--feel free to PM me if you want help finding one.)

The Tiger Handbook specifically states that all activities can be done with the family if necessary. Cub Scouts, and especially Tiger Cubs, is a very flexible program. The requirement does not have to be done exactly as the examples in the handbook say. As long as the Scout does his best to learn what the requirement is teaching, it does not matter how he does it.

For the police and fire depts, the point is to talk to someone who helps people in your community. Most fire and police stations will be more than happy to talk to one Scout and his family. Just give them a call to set it up. The police will also have a community relationship person, or a DARE officer, who can talk to the Scout. If the Scout knows someone in the medical field, they can talk to them, and maybe find out about emergency care. October is Fire Prevention Month, and often classes will visit the local fire station, or the school will hold various fire prevention activities.

The requirement to find out about how life in your area has changed over the years is a fairly easy one to do on your own. A visit to the local library is easy. Around the holidays, many historical houses, parks, etc, will have special displays/activities that are fun for a family to do. Holidays are also the perfect time for the Scout to talk to his grandparents about what life was like when they were the Scout's age.

The TV/radio station thing can be tricky, but there are still a lot of options. The point is to find out how to communicate with a large number of people at once. There are Web sites where a Scout and his family can go to send email holiday greetings to our Armed Forces overseas. Visit with someone who is the Webmaster for a Web site, and see how Web sites are put together. Your local copy/print shop will usually be happy to show a Scout around. The Scout, and his family, can go to the BSA Twitter/Facebook site, look around, and post a comment. While regular TV/radio stations might be hard to schedule, a station at a university or Community College might be more flexible. An exhibit on forms of communication at a local museum would be fun. A tour of the 911 center at your local police station works too (ask about reverse 911). October is also the time for JOTA (Jamboree on the Air), and JOTI (Jamboree on the Internet), where Scouts from all over the world talk to each other. If you missed that, there are also weekly/monthly World Scout Radio Nets. There is a New Years Net coming up on Jan 1.