Howdy Forum

A suggestion came up in our troop to create an "Adult Leader" patrol and I am curious if anyone has tried this. The primary reason for considering this is to keep our leaders focused on their roles and try to prevent inserting themselves into the Scout's responsibilities. Specific assignments would be given to the adults, as in a regular Scout patrol. We already have leaders assigned to particular roles but unfortunately we also have several adults that feel compelled to rush in and "help" the troop by doing first and asking later.

Additionally, it is hoped this new "identity" may help encourage adult participation in events and outings.

Any input?

Greetings and Welcome!

Our troop has had an adult patrol for years. We call ourselves the Lighthouse Patrol. We operate pretty much as you describe whenever we camp or go on outings. The idea is that we lead by example, rather than by taking over. At regular troop meetings we line up as a patrol for the opening and closing (although some of us are shy about this), and then function in our usual assigned roles as adult leaders. It seems to work well here. We have a high rate of adult involvement in the troop, and very few difficulties.

For those helpful adults who tend to do for the scouts, perhaps your adult leaders can find useful roles for them to fill, and get them into training so they know what they should and shoultn't be doing. BTW, useful roles are not limited to the ones identified by BSA. We have a phone-caller, another that makes arrangements for refreshments for COH, etc.

Howdy Loki

Our leaders always act as a patrol. We have a patrol name, chuck box, and flag and try to set the example for the other patrols. We always have a menu, duty roster and set our patrol site up like we think the scouts should. It's great to watch the duplication of ideas in their sites. Although I don't think it is written anywhere, it works great and its a lot of fun. Lead by example.

Doug

We call ourselves the "Old Goat Patrol", although it's more to poke fun at ourselves (Scouts find it very amusing that we acknowledge our alleged collective decrepit-ness)than to model ideal patrol operation.

I agree with rlculver415 that leader training, with particular emphasis on the aims/methods, should minimize "unwanted hands-on" by leaders. Most mean well, just need to be taught & occasionally reminded that it's "Boy" Scouts, not "Adult" Scouts.

Frankly, the most common violators are those who recently bridged from a Webelos den -- still accustomed to adults calling all the shots. That's the great thing about getting everybody together in the revamped New Leader Essentials -- clearly explains the transition from dependence on adults to independence...

KS

Howdy Loki. Our adult patrol is called the Crak'd Pot patrol. Our totem is a cracked dutch oven. We also lead by example on overnights,if the boys have questions on how to set up they are requested to take a look at our setup. Sometimes we will set up poorly and have the scouts critique our set up and let us know how we could improve the site. good forum.

YIS

The adult patrols I have worked with are rather fluid, but the adults on larger outings do usually cook by themselves and try to stay out of the way. On backpacking treks and other significant expeditions with smaller numbers of people the youth and adults usually do everything together just to simplify the logistics.

Hello Loki,

The adult patrol in my Troop is call the Basshole Patrol. Why you ask? One of our adult leaders had a tee shirt with a picture of a bass on it and there was a hole in the bass picture. We now use it as our patrol flag!

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

G'day Loki,

Great topic. Given info gained on this forum I intended to do the same as you. rlculver has an interesting version with the adult patrol going on parade etc.

I hope this doesn't kidnap your thread but here are some questions for all:

Do any adult patrols meet apart from the Troop to have some adventures of your own?

Do any compete in Patrol competitions? Should they?

Who leads the patrol? Is it automatically the SM?

I intend to include senior Scouts not allocated to Patrols and some who assist (like JASM) but are actually in the next secion (Venturer). What benefits - disadvantages have people found doing this?

Is the adult Patrol attactive to(as yet)non-uniformed adults?

Our adult patrol is named the "Grumps", mainly for grownups and for being grumpy in the mornings. We have a patrol flag and although not a lot of scouters all the time, all scouters belong to our patrol.

Our patrol eats off the same budget as the other patrols. We try to show them that there is more to eating than poptarts and hotdogs. We camp, eat, clean up, and relax in our patrol area. One thing that I try to do is show them a model patrol campsite with gadgets and cleanliness, to include duty rosters. This keeps our scouters focused on our tasks and leave the scouts to theirs.

Our adult patrol is called the Geezer Patrol. We have a flag, and particularly we use a Patrol Cheer. When we are asked something that should be asked of a junior leader, all of the adults in the vacinity turn their backs and shout in unison "I don't know! Ask your Patro Leader!"

We don't get too many questions anymore.

One thing that I thought was really neat. We had a Patrol contest that included making and outfitting patrol cook boxes, working as a team at Klondike, and a number of other criteria. We offered the winning patrol a number of really cool prizes, but the most coveted was that the Geezer patrol would cook and do K.P. at one weekend campout for the winning patrol. We have gotten a HUGE amount out of that. Every patrol, every member of every patrol, worked their tail off to have his patrol win. All of our patrols improved 100%, some even 200% or 300%. And the fun that everone got watching us cook and do dishes for a patrol! Every kid in the Troop is asking (no, begging) us to do another contest.

Lastly, the example aspect of how to do things correctly is a big asset. I do like the idea about doing something incorrectly to allow the guys to critique.

"I DON"T KNOW! ASK YOUR SCOUTMASTER!"

with the troop, we are the dinosaurs (Big Bodies, small brains is how the SPL refers to us). We are there as a model, to show the boys a way of doing it. I like the posted roster, I will suggest it.

As for separate meetings, we talk at troop meetings when troop is planning for a trip. We decided to make the patrol to keep us scoutmasters working towards our goals and remembering what our jobs are, we had to many 'helicopters" you know, adults who hover around their kid(s). I am working on a helicopter totem now, for our patrol award ceremonies, separate from the kids.

The adult patrol is gives us adults something to do and stay away from the kids.

As for competitions, keep in mind we are not boy scouts, but adult scouters. So competitions to me should be reserved for: Camporees (if in the program), Most summer camps run a SM competition. I would suspect that if we ran more competitions than that, we are in fact, appearin to compete with the boys and the boys will lose out in the end. So stay focused on the job. Having said that, I would incorporate the last respondant and use the adult patrols at scouting events, like a camporee, to make the prizes to be giving away to boy patrols in a camporee competition.

JBroganJr.

We don't have one, and doen't see the need. The adult Staff and youth Staff camp in separate areas of the Troop site, but we organize food prep together. The adults tend to take care of things, as the youth Staff have to set up and run the Troop campout program. Yes, we use the same procedures and equipment as the Patrols, but it's simply understood what adult leaders do. It works for us.