Dens getting together for an activity

Thank you in advance for your help and information!

Is it OK for two dens to get together for a group den meeting/activity on occasion? (Specifically wolf and bear) We did a joint meeting and were repremanded by the new committee chair for getting together and not inviting the other two dens. We were told that it is against the BSA guidelines and becomes a pack event once two or more dens get together. We were scolded for not notifyong the cubmaster, who then in turn would invite all of the other dens to the activity.

I can not find any information to support the idea that it is wrong for two dens to work together on occasion. Is it really in the BSA guidelines that you can not meet with another den without calling it a pack event? Did I really do something wrong?

It's absolutely OK for two dens to do something together.

It's even OK for two PACKS to do something together.

The big thing is making sure the activity is FUN for the kids, supports advancement (a Method) at both levels, and is within the G2SS and the age appropriate activities matrix (appendix of G2SS).

KISMIF.

Your CC needs to be trained in the policies of the BSA.

As a DL I did lots of stuff with other dens that were not part of the Pack meetings. The Webelos were always taking the Bears on a hike or something.

The part of the whole process that irks me the most is when people quote false information to squash an attempt to make it fun for the boys. I would really love to know what their agenda is all about. And a good dosage of MYOB to the CC on this one. Maybe a pass given to a CM who doesn't know, but two DL's can plan den meetings in the same place at the same time with no problem.

Stosh

In defense of the CC (not that he has much of a defense, but...)

We've had folks posting here where DLs and parents get dens together to skirt policies or because they don't want to deal with those people in the other dens. Not very Scoutlike. Perhaps the CC has had some bad history with rogue dens causing trouble for the pack.

Wolf and Bear dens meeting together isn't a problem, but I, too, would raise a eyebrow if the Tigers and Webelos IIs were getting together. To me that would smack of a convenience for the adults rather than a benefit to the boys.

Bottom line, if there are only four dens in the pack why not invite the other guys? Instead of giving the CC reason to worry, (albeit small reason) why not make his job easier by showing up for a committee meeting and offering your cool two-den outing as a pack activity?

Thank you for all of the information. I feel much better knowing that other dens have done this in the past and that it is perfectly fine.

I have loved every minute of being a den leader over the last year and this year. What he said (and how he said it) did not feel right to me, but I didn't know if there really was a BSA rule stating that meeting with another den made it a pack event. Because of this... I had a hard time defending my actions. I still don't really know how to prove to him that it is OK for two dens to meet. And, actually, I am resenting the fact that I am having to defend something like this. The negativity is very draining and defeating. It is certainly not what I signed up for.

twocubdad:

For myself, and the other den leader, it didn't even occur to us at the time to include the tigers and webelos. Our dens have 2nd and 3rd graders..and it just made sense to get together because of what we were working on. This was 11 boys (2nd and 3rd graders)vs. potentially 21 boys (1st-5th graders)if we had invited the whole pack. To me that is a big difference.

Don't let the Grinches get you down!

Go right on doing combined activities with the Bears if that is what your two dens choose to do.

I would, however, recommend that you have a talk with your CM (who is in charge of the program end of things), about what the CC said to you, and how it was said. Aside from being dead wrong information, it was inappropriate. The CM should really have a nice cuppa of something seasonal with the CC, and talk to him about getting trained.

Since our two Wolf dens only have one den meeting per month, we have a regularly scheduled combined wolf den outing each month. During this outing our, scouts (who were once in a really big Tiger den) get to play with the boys from the other den and we get to cover content that we couldn't fit into the den meeting. Besides, these outings get us out of our usual meeting place for some variety. While the other dens aren't invited, the siblings of the wolfs (which include non-scouts, girl scouts, and older/younger scouts) participate. It's a great activity and our CM loves it.

At our Pack Committee Meeting the Webelos DL said they were working on an overnight to the aquarium (where Free Willy was). Bears DL said, hey, we are too! CC said: Hey, could we just open it up to whom ever wants to go? Everyone said, yes. So, it's a Pack Campout at the Aquarium.