School activities & advancement

Hello all:

I tried to search for the answer to this, but of the many responses I got from the search, I didn't find what I needed.

I have what should be a fairly simple question: Do activities the boys participate in at school count towards the completion of an advancement requirement?

Some examples:

When my son was in Wolf Cubs, activity 2d was to learn about your state flag and how to display it. When I was showing him the flag and pointing at the various parts and talking about them, he already knew most of the answers! I asked how he knew that and he said they just finished studying the state flag the previous week at school.

There were countless times that year and the next where we were going through the activities in the cub scout handbooks, only to find he was either currently working on them in school, or had recently completed them.

I know if a requirement says "with your den" or "with your pack" or "with your parents" then you have to do the activity with your den, pack, or parent. But what if it doesn't specify?

And what about activities outside school (sports, music classes/lessons, etc.). If what he is working on matches one of the requirements for his current cub scout year, do those count?

Absolutely, yes. School and individual extra-curricular activities count towards both advancement and elective requirements.

The boys are not locked in to completing the requirements as stated "den" or "home" activity. Most units and leaders will use the den activities because they are appropriate for a group setting, and there are obviously things that are very natural to do at home. But mix-and match to your heart's content.

Your profile doesn't indicate if you are a den leader, but if you are, and a boy or some boys have already completed an item solo that you planned to do as a den activity, don't exclude them. Let them do it again - they'll learn the same thing in a different way, and the lesson will be reinforced.

Also completely appropriate for your son to take his book and have the coach, music teacher, etc sign off as "Akela". Any adult in an instructive role is Akela, and it's good practice as they move towards Webelos and Boy Scouting.

You may want to warn the gym teacher ahead of time before the entire den shows up, wanting their handbooks signed :)

As long as the activity being used to complete a requirement is done during the program year for that requirement, you can use things done at school, in the community, and at home. That means that things your son did last year, when he was a Wolf, or things done before he was a registered Cub Scout, do not count toward any Bear requirements or electives.

The Webelos program is a bit different. Parents are no longer considered to be "Akela's" and able to sign off any and all requirements. The Webelos den leader is now the person who checks, and signs off on, the Webelos work. A parent, or someone else, can sign off on specific things, but they need the Webelos den leader's permission to do so. So, if you know that the Webelos Scientist Activity Badge is going to be covered by the Science teacher, talk to the den leader to see if the teacher can sign off on the requirements. It might be a good idea to talk to the teacher, and get them the requirements in advance to make sure all of them are covered.

Most definitely "YES".

Most of the Wolves & Bears in our Pack use Gym & Art classes to sign off various achievements. Webelos is a bit tougher because their Den Leader must verify the accomplishments, which means the boys need to bring their work to their Den Leader.

Thank you for the replies, all.

BlueJacketScouter, yes, I didn't complete a profile. I have been den leader for my son since Tiger Cubs, moved up with him as Wolf, Bear, and Webelos I den leader. I always counted school and other activities when I felt it was appropriate. We moved, and he now has a new Webelos II den leader who is new to cub scouting and never been a den leader before (but is doing a great job).

I've talked to her about the online new leader training and she's working on that, but she's asked for some tips a few times on how to help the boys get through the requirements. She seemed surprised that activities outside of the den meetings would count, so I just wanted to be sure I was giving good info.

Thanks again!

Agreeing with all the YES answers. One thing that my son has used for Webelos achievements done outside the den is to complete the worksheets on the usscouts website;

http://usscouts.org/advancementTOC.asp#misc

These are not required, not at all. But my son is hoping to get to Superachiever, or at least his third compass star, in a den that is not very achievement oriented (we love our den & pack anyway!). He uses activities from school, sports, etc, but many activities are things that he has done specifically for the pins. So the worksheet is sort of "proof" to the DL -- and others -- that he has done the work. I also take a lot of photos of activities, projects, etc.

I'm not suggesting that you ask other boys to do this, if you are a DL. Just that, if your son is doing a lot more than the other boys, it can be useful.