Polar Bear Camping

I think this depends a lot on your location.  In Colorado our pack has one campout usually the first weekend in october, and on in May.  It often gets below 32 degrees.  We give the families the option to stay for the day or spend the night, as you never know some years it is really hot, this year (10/6/18) it got down to 38 degrees, but here you can rent outdoor gear, and many families have it.  We do also have the stipulation that you can not have a heater in your tent, so often Webelos boys will sleep different tents from their parents so that they can get the award.  Our requirements are in a tent with no heater, and the temp has to get below 32 for the cubscouts, and for the boy scouts it has to be below 0.  If we were not allowed to camp went the weather might get below 32 we would not be able to camp ever, as cub scouts only runs Sept-may and it has snowed during all of those months, and were we camp is usually colder than the city.  However these kids wait for busses, play at recess and go Trick or treating in this weather, so they are used to it, and have coats and gloves that are appropriate.   We also have really low humidity, so it is usually a dry cold especially in the fall.  I remember camping once as a youth in a military tent (on a military base) the tent was set up on a concrete slab, there was a layer of ice on the concrete, we had a large sheet of plastic to put on the ice so that if we melted it our sleeping bags would not get wet.  This was at a Freezaree a regular event were scouts typically got this award.  

Edited by Cole123
add more info
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Cole123, welcome to the forum!

My troop from Atlanta liked to plan a ski-trip (18 smelly bodies in a 3 bedroom condo) or a caving activity for February.  When you're underground, the weather is irrelevant.

March was usually a hike in South Georgia or a canoe trip in northern Florida, Blackwater river or the Suwanee.