Problems with Den meetings – same time – same room – too many distractions

I was talking with a Cubmaster last night about his Pack.

His Dens all meet at the same time-same place-same room.

He is having an issue with what he called cross-chatter.

The Cubs (and parents) tend to drift with all distractions of the other dens/people around them.

The school where they meet will only give them one night a week and the cafeteria to use.

This is a new problem as they used to meet at their CO, a church, that had multiple rooms.

They switched as their CO kept allowing other groups to use (rent) the rooms on meetings nights to the point

I dont have any experience meeting like this as the Packs I have been with either met on different nights/places or have multiple rooms to meet in.

As getting multiple rooms isnt possible the only other thing I can think of is to suggest they stager Den meeting times.

Im the District Commissioner and would like to give him suggestions on getting this under control and could use some other ideas.

We have that. First, how large are the dens? The larger the dens, the more this is a problem. When we went from 10-12 Cub dens down to 6-8 Cub dens, this problem was much better. The other is simply for the den leaders to step up their game. If kids are interested in what you are doing, their minds (and eyes and feet) won't wander to other dens doings. I also like to take my den outside as much as humanly possible. 3/4 of Scouting is Outing, even if that out is only on the grounds fo the CO.

Try coaching them to find a new CO, or develop a better relationship with the current one. One of the CO's responsibilities is to "Provide adequate facilities for the Scouting unit(s) to meet on a regular schedule with time and place reserved." It's clearly not doing that, even though it has the space.

The current situation sounds like a mess. There is no way that multiple dens can share a large room like a cafeteria and have meaningful program. Boys need a dedicated space without distractions. They need routine and ritual - opening ceremonies, cheers, flags, etc. - on their own scale, which is that of the den. What this pack has right now is a pack meeting with breakout groups. Both the boys and den leaders are being cheated of a Scouting experience and the proper support they need.(This message has been edited by shortridge)

Is there a rule that says dens HAVE to meet at any given place? In our pack, pack meetings are all held together at our school's cafeteria. However, dens meet at different times and places. Some meet in people's homes, some meet in parks, library meeting rooms, etc depending on the activity. Is this not an option?

While one of the responsibilities of the CO is to provide meeting space, there is nothing in BSA literature that states that a den MUST meet in any particular place. As a matter of fact, the den leaders home is one of the den meeting spots that BSA recommends.

Dens generally meet at the place/time that is first, most convenient for the den leaders, then second, most convenient for the den families.

Some Packs like all dens to meet at the same place/time (although usually in different rooms) because it makes it easier to do Pack wide administrative stuff.

Here are some suggestions based on what we do for Den Meeting Locations.

We meet at our CO who is the American Legion. Our room is too small so we have spent the last month lookiing for new den locations.

Two dens meet at the Community Center. Very large room that has plenty of space for the two groups to meet without having the dens two close

Our Webelos still meet at the Legion

The Tigers are going to start meeting at the VFW building.

You may also want to consider conference rooms in...

Fire Stations

Police Stations

EMS Buildings

County or City Buildings

Libraries

Other Community Buildings, VFW, American Legion, Rotary, Lions Club, Boys and Girls Club (you get the point)

Check with your families and see if they have a church that will let you use a sunday school class room.

Having had a couple of meetings in the same room with another den, I will recommend you do whatever you can to avoid that scenario.

Also from my experience, the cafeteria is not the greatest place to meet and get good discipline. After being at school all day, the boys really want to be someplace else. Additionally, they are used to being noisy and on their "home turf" in the cafeteria. Going someplace different just made for a better meeting in my experience as DL.

A church is a great option. Even though our CO is the American Legion, we were able to meet in the social hall of one of our parent's church, which was a much better location. (And we picked up two new members because the church puts our meeting in the bulletin!)

If you absolutely have to meet in the cafeteria one thing you can do is to set up name tents for who should sit where. After a few exasperating meetings in the cafeteria where the boys goofed around and the parents chit-chatted in the back, and with all the usual strategies (boys setting rules, consequences, etc) ineffective, this proved to be a wonderfully effective strategy. By now, you know what boys gravitate toward each other and goof off the most. So make name plates/tents that put boys together who don't typically socialize with each other. Then, leave empty seats between groups of name tents with the idea that parents come up and sit by the boys.

Yes, I know that the boys are supposed to be learning to do things on their own, but you're trying to fix a problem. So if the parents are there, they may as well be useful in helping control things. And it also solves the parent chit-chat problem by breaking up the groups of parents too.(This message has been edited by 83eagle)

It's only been within the last 10yrs that dens started meeting at the CO's building all on the same night instead of meeting at the DL home at a time that is convenient for the whole den.

When I was a cub scout we met at the the DL's home right after school. Our den comprised of other boys living in the neighbor hood. Just like its explained in the handbook. Their was a wolf den and a bear den in the neighbor hood when we aged out of the wolf den we went to the bear den.

Den leaders are responsible for the Den program, so let them have the freedom to choose when and where to hold their den meetings. DL'a also support the pack program by making sure their den is ready to carry out their assignments for pack meeting, this could be a skit, song, treats, ect..

CM's are responsible for Pack programs, Pack meeting and other pack activities. It also the CM's job to provide support to the DL's, in the way of making sure they have the materials needed to support the Den program as well as their assignments for pack meeting. The just don't stand in front of the room an MC pack meeting and hand out awards.

Pack Committees are there to provide support to the CM and the DL's in the way of administration duties that support the program. They also should be working with the CM in planning and coordinating activities outside of the monthly pack meeting.

It seems CM and Pack committees have started dictating when den meetings are held instead of letting the DL make that discussion.

My suggestion is to let the DL's have the freedom decide when is the best time and place for them to have their meetings while at the same time providing the option for them to participate in the combined meeting you are now holding.

As long as you can cover 2-deep and No 1/1 contact, what's wrong with Den Leaders' home?

Sainted Mom, my Den Mother, did that 2 years of the three I was a Cub...

She had planned occasional relief at other people's homes...

I located a local park that wasn't playing ball at den meeting times. It had a shelter. So I started meeting the den there. First thing, while we waited for everyone to arrive, we'd start with the contests and games: running, crab soccer, jumping, etc. The ADL would be setting up the den activity while all this was going on. Sometimes we'd take a short hike and terrorize wildlife around the periphery of the park. Then, with energy burned, we'd get some water and start the activity. The snack would be visible. If the group behavior was good, after a time some special snack would appear. They picked up on this quickly and became self-policing. After the activity and snacks, we'd have free time while parents picked them up. They'd start their own contests and games and run them with ADL assistance. Sometimes the moms and dads would just sit an talk for a half hour or so while their children extended the den meeting time out in the open air, the sun, the grass, and with each other. I really miss the cubs.

• 1 month later...

With my older son's den, we met at my house. Ideal for me -- everything I needed for the meeting was there; I didn't have to transport it. I had a carpet remnant I rolled out on one side of my garage and ran a space heater in cold weather. We could make as much of a mess as we wanted and be as loud as we wanted. There was generally always some hammer pounding, sawing, painting, games, or some other activity going on that would often spill out into my yard. And we could always make a fire in the barbecue grill.

With my younger son, we had a different den leader, and met in a classroom at the school. Totally different environment that really stifled what you could do at a den meeting. And you had to haul in all of your supplies (inevitably forgetting something), and dare not do anything that might leave a permanent mark somewhere. And then there would be the calls from the school passing on a complaint from the teacher that something had been touched or moved.

Is no one doing in-home den meetings anymore?

Dan K.

Cross-chatter seems to be an issue the more units that rely on a meeting place rather than in-home den meetings. Has the unit considered that option? What about enhancing a relationship with other organizations with a building? Even hosting a unit can give them credit for community service.