Rope making for Cub Scouts

I have fond memories of making rope as a Boy Scout, using a rope making machine that showed up about once a year or so. I recently went to a training and learned that the machine isn't really necessary. They taught us the method shown here:

http://usscouts.org/scoutcraft/BoyScoutRopemaking.pdf

I tweaked this a little bit for our Tigers and a good time was had by all. I explained to the parents that they never again have to buy from the Big Rope Companies.

Here are the tweaks I made to work better with Cub Scouts:

1. I didn't want to make a bunch of what this site calls "rope spinners" (or what our instructor called a "baton"). And I didn't want a bunch of hyperactive Cub Scouts running around swinging batons. So I just used sticks on each end (I actually used pencils). The Tigers just held them tight and turned from both ends. Surprisingly, I don't think we had a single case of someone letting go of the stick and leaving a tangled mess of string.

It worked best to spin it by using one hand to make an "O" around the string, and then using one finger of the other hand to spin the pencil.

2. Rather than "whip" the rope, we just put a piece of masking tape tightly around the end. It actually looks more professional than a "whipped" end (although it probably won't last as long).

3. Rather than use bailing twine, I just used the cheapest string I could find. It worked very well, and left a lot cleaner looking finished product than bailing twine.

They were all able to make a piece of rope in about five minutes, so most groups were able to make more than one.

The Cub Scouts all wound up with a (short) piece of rope to take home, and it's simple enough that they can repeat it at home with mom or dad.

Rope making is good for hours of fun for all ages.

That's good to know that it's part of the Bear requirements. I thumbed through the Tiger electives, and couldn't find one to squeeze it in under. So it's good to know that it will be useful for advancement.

Yes, it was a one-hour class at University of Scouting. They had a rope making machine also, but we all made a piece using the "baton".

Ummmm, just to clarify (probably unnecessarily, but you never know) - The rope making they did as Tigers will not count toward a Bear requirement. They will have to make rope again as a Bear Cub Scout in order for it to count for a Bear achievement.

The Bear book also has an illustration of another improvised rope maker using a bench vise and a hand drill brace. Do a search for "rope making machine" and you can find various plans for more involved devices that are probably more complicated than a Bear could manage on his own. The nice thing about the simple one in the book is the boys can do it themselves. (With supervision, of course, for singeing (sp?) the excess fibers from the rope).

Making your own rope is one of the requirements for the Bear "Tying It All Up" Achievement.

I'mpretty sure that you all know this- but you know how some folks read stuff and get a meaning that is 180 degrees opposite of what is actually said - so I'm gonna say it for them.

Making your own rope is one of the requirements for the Bear "Tying It All Up" ACHIEVEMENT itself, but IS NOT required to earn the Bear Rank.

You have a choice to earn 12 out of 24 achievemnts. Making rope is a sub part of completeing that particular achievement.