"After a Scout has completed all of the requirements for any rank from Tenderfoot through Life and has had a Scoutmaster conference for that rank, he appears before a board of review composed of three to six members of the troop committee." {Straight out of The Scoutmaster Handbook}

My question, who schedules the board of review, the Scoutmaster or the Scout? I would like the boy to take the initiative but only the Scoutmaster (or his designee) knows if the boy "passed" the Scoutmaster conference initially.

Comments?

Our COR holds regularly scheduled boards (Prior to COH) plus will put one together if we have a scout who is ready for one out of the normal cycle. Since our Scoutmaster and COR are married it's fairly easy to get the information that one is needed passed to the right people.

I think the scout should schedule the Board of Review. He knows if he passed the BOR and the Board will know if he passed because the Scoutmaster signed off of the Scoutmaster conference in the Scouts handbook.

BUT, the scoutmaster should be communicating to the BOR.

According to the committee guidebook, the advancement coordinator is responsible for scheduling boards of review. We rely on the Troopmaster software. Most of the boys understand that they have to speak to our advancement coordinator (AC) regularly to update their records and they are generally pretty good about this. Therefore, when a boy gets his SM conference he usually immediately goes to the AC to advise him of his progress. Our AC attends almost all troop meetings, laptop in hand, and is readily accessible to the boys. Thus our AC usually is highly aware of who needs a BOR. As it turns out, our committee chair likes to handle most of these, so our scouts are advised to talk to him to arrange a BOR. This works well for us and does put some burden on the individual scout to take the initiative. In a well functioning unit the SM should not have to worry about dealing BORs at all.

I'm our Troops Advancement Chair and the BOR is one of my responsibities. We schedule a BOR once a month. It is the Scouts responsibility to contact me and request a BOR at least one week in advance. This gives me time to make sure our COR who serves on the BOR marks his calendar. Seems to work for us.

Paul

In my Troop after the Scoutmaster Conference, I tell the Scout to let our Advancement Chairman know he is ready for his BOR. The Advancement Chairman then schedules the BOR & let's the Scout know when it will be.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

Our troop's advancement coordinator has maintained a scheduled BOR night once a month. The SM does his reviews the week prior at the very least, or whenever a boy finishes rank requirements. This schedule seems to help the boys in planning their advancements. It also helps us to be sure to have all the necessary awards for the COH.

Similar to the system described by rlculver415, our troop in Southern California planned board of review nights in advance and put them on the activity calendar. These were scheduled about two weeks ahead of courts of honor and were not scheduled on regular troop meeting nights. There were a lot of advantages to this because everyone knew well in advance what the schedule was. It was still the boy's obligation to contact the advancement coordinator to get on the calendar.

Emergency boards could also be scheduled if there was a good reason for it, such as running up against a time in grade requirement for eagle.