Arrow of Light ceremony lore

I'm presently working on a monolog for an Arrow of Light presentation. Most of the ceremonies I've found in my research ascribe seven virtues of a good life to the seven sun rays on the Arrow of Light badge. I'd like to known how, when, and why this tradition came about.

These virtues are:

The Cardinal virtues - prudence (wisdom), justice, temperance (self-control), fortitude (courage)

The Transcendent virtues - faith, hope, love (charity)

Webelos Handbook, p.62 - "The Arrow of Light award displays a universal symbol for the sun and below it, an arrow. The 7 rays of the sun stand for each day of the week. They remind you to do your best every day as you follow the arrow that leads to Boy Scouting."

Thank you, in advance, for your insight.

Best regards,

Eagle '77

Don't know about the rays, to be honest I don't care and neither do the boys.

Make the Ceremony an event. We had our ceremony in an ampitheater with 150 torches lighting the event. we dressed in our indian gear and spun a story about little akela, awarded them their career arrows and AOL and then they crossed the bridge into the hands of the waiting SPL. They are still talking about it.

Here a a couple:

Wisdom; Courage; Self Control; Justice; Faith; Hope; & Love

From the Algonquin Council Pow Wow Book

by John Bemis

Courage; Justice; Mercy; Generosity; Faith; Nobility; & Hope

From the 7 virtues of a Chivalrous Knight

My $0.02

YiS,

Rick

Sounds like a good monologue. Also sounds like it might put the kids to sleep.

There's nothing wrong with sticking to the book and focusing on doing their best every day of the week. That's a simple-enough takeaway message for kids of that age.

My advice: Indians from the OA. Fire/torches/candles, if practical. Arrows. Lots of applause.

Keep the adult "message" to a minimum. The only people in the room who will be following you are the other adults.

P.S. If you do flame and Indians, be sure to run through a rehearsal with the OA team. I'll never forget my AOL ceremony, when the chief bowed his head over the lit candles at a solemn moment, lifted it up to speak to the audience again and realized his headdress was aflame.(This message has been edited by shortridge)

Here is what I use. If you want the entire ceremony (this is just part of it) I can send it to you.

Before we award the Arrow of Light, let us take some time to understand its meaning.

The Arrow is to remind us to continue to go straight on the pathway of Scouting and in Life.

The Arch is the sun rising at daybreak, starting a new week in scouting and life.

There are Seven Rays in the Arrow of Light. They stand for the seven great virtues of life.

(As each ray is covered a candle is lit)

The FIRST RAY is WISDOM

Wisdom does not necessarily mean superior knowledge. It means putting to the right use, the knowledge that one possesses.

The SECOND RAY is COURAGE

Courage is not meeting danger without fear; it is being able to meet danger in spite of one's fear.

The THIRD RAY is SELF-CONTROL

Self control isn't limited to the control of one's temper but control of one's self in all things emotional mental and physical.

The FOURTH RAY is JUSTICE

Justice is the practice of dealing fairly with others without prejudices.

The FIFTH RAY is FAITH

Faith is the conviction that something unproved by physical evidence is true.

The SIXTH RAY is HOPE

Hope means to expect with confidence. Always hope for better things to come.

The SEVENTH RAY is LOVE

There are many kinds of love - family, home, fellow man, country, God, all of which are necessary for a full life.

IF YOU LIVE BY THE SEVEN GREAT VIRTUES - YOU WILL BECOME A HAPPY

AND SUCCESSFUL INDIVIDUAL.