Event leader?

We had a new family join the Pack this year. Dad had volunteered to coordinate one of our events. Over the weekend, learned that they will be leaving scouting. Dad is still willing to coordinate the event. I'm not entirely ok with that, but don't have a specific reason. Are my instincts on or off on this one? (My role is CC.)

Okay, a boy joins Cub Scouts, dad makes a commitment. Son bails, dad honors the commitment.

My boy joined Boy Scouts, I, too, made a commitment to the troop. Son bailed, I'm now a SM 10 years later.

Unless you have more information than what's in the post, I don't think a dad keeping is word is a bad thing.

Dad might be an Eagle Scout.... Just because his kid wasn't interested doesn't reflect on the dad.

Stosh(This message has been edited by jblake47)

There are plenty of leaders in Scouting who do not currently have children involved in the program. Absent some other information, this would cause me absolutely no concern. I agree with Stosh, he probably feels obligated to something he committed. Maybe his son will see that and learn a lesson (OK, I can be an optimist, can't I?).

One caution would be is he motivated to do a good or even great job - not just put together the bare minimum. I've seen a CC continue long after her son was out of Cub scouts and the program suffered. I think there needs to be some motivation for putting together an exciting event - either because your own child is part of it or as others suggested he's a former scout or just is interested in doing things right

RK

I didn't have a kid in scouting until 2 years ago. But scouting has been very good to me and I decided to give back. Plus most of the time it's a lot of fun ;)

BUT if your 'spidey sense" is going off, you may want to take heed.

I started out as an active parenyt, then became and ADL, then a DL, to my current position as CubMaster.

From my own point of view:

There are times that I think I am having more fun that my son. I can't wait until Monday nights when we meet.

When we broke for summer ( we follow school calendar) I was actually kinda sad about it , unlike the other parents who were running out the door! :)

Right now, my son is a Webelos I. After next year, he will ( if all goes well) cross over to Boy Scouts.

My plan at thuis time , anyways, is to keep on serving the pack in one way or another.

Now, if you have some concerns just because it's hard to imagine a parent without a scout still wanting to help...then relax, happens alot more often that you are aware of ( just go to your scout office).

But if it's because of a particular strange or odd behavior that you observe when that dad is around the boys..keep an eye open to him.

Did he sign up as an adult Scouter so that a background check was done on him? Did he take the online Youth Protection training? If his son was still in, I think only the latter is necessary, but if his son isn't in the pack anymore than I believe both are now necessary?

Bart,

Good point must be registered now, where as before he could be a TC adult.

Ana

Go with your gut feeling. When I crossed over to boy scouts with my original troop, I was there for about 5 months until it was announced that my old CM was becoming SM, as his son was in my den and crossed over with me and the previous SM had a heartattack. I had a funny feeling about him, and I was proved right later on.

And while I was an adult with no children in scouting for a long time, and I know others who no longer have kids, or grand-kids in scouting but are active, one of the worse YP issues I faced was over in the UK at camp where a new leader with no kids and no history in scouting volunteered to be a cub leader and go to a summer camp with them. Luckily one of the Service Team members was a "Bobby" (and one who was authorized to carry a sidearm so Robin Williams doesn't apply)and dealt with the situation.

Is this a Tiger den event, or a Pack event?

If it is a Tiger den outing, why not? His son paid for a year's membership. Maybe if he works with his dad on this outing he will get enthused about Scouting again.

If it is a bigger, more involved, Pack wide event, I would talk to the dad to make sure that he is clear on what it involves, and what will be required of him. If he is certain he still wants to do it, why not? Again his son is registered for a year, regardless if he attends or not. Maybe this activity will get him interested again.

BTW - Has the den leader, or the CM, contacted this family to find out why they are dropping out? Perhaps something can be done to enable them to stay.