Cub Scout Roundtable

Hello fellow Cubbers!

I have been asked to do a breakout session at our coucil's Bigfoot (think University of Scouting/Pow Wow) on roundtable. I am seeking help. I am not sure in what direction to take. When I asked the person in charge, she said taht I needed to get a roundtable helps book for the year and present ideas. Ok, easier said than done. I will have 90 minutes. I have the book because I do our district cub breakout at roundtable, but still....90 minutes is a long time.

So, for those of you who attend your roundtable, what makes it interesting? What makes you want to keep coming back each month? what would you like to see at roundtable? Any ideas and helps are greatly appreciated. Thanks, in advance to those who respond.

Yours in Scouting,

Julie

Julie,

I have been going to RT's since I was a DL (several years ago).

I'm a ASM now and a UC.

These are things I have mentioned to RT Commissioners in passing.

I know how to read, please don't read to me.

I know where the Cub Helps/Boy Scout training sites are online. But others may find a list of resource links helpful.

It's ok to make available a list/summary of next months events, but I have already planned for the year.

What I need:

How to make what I have planned richer - contact info for resources/people/places - more than the standard info.

Early notice of changes in the Council

I would like to take-away something from RT I did not have before.

Still, this is a tall order, but there are usually more experienced leaders who would come to RT if asked to provides something specific. That's the key to a good RT. And publishing those upcoming guest resources before the RT.

It sounds like you are being asked to do, basically, a 90 minute infomercial for Roundtables.

The first thing I would do is to get the basic info for all District Roundtables. Time/place of meetings, and calendars of what will be covered. For the year if possible, for the next few months at least.

I would also attend at least 1 Roundtable in each District to get an idea of what they do, and how they do it.

Find yourself an assistant for the course. Someone from another District's Roundtable staff would be great.

You don't want to give your attendees unrealistic, or incorrect, expectations of what they will find at THEIR District Roundtable. You want to give them an idea of what they will ACTUALLY experience.

For your actual course, I would have a handout with all of the Roundtable info for each District listed.

I would treat it like a mini Roundtable. If all, or most, of the attendees will be Cub Scouters, do it from a Cub perspective, but mention the others as well, they will not be on the Cub side for ever.

Have a sign-in sheet, and a gathering craft.

Start out with a sample of a Roundtable opening ceremony.

Find out how many have ever attended any Roundtables, and what their opinions were of them. I would suspect that anyone who signs up for a course in Roundtables has not attended any yet, but you never know, and their input could be valuable.

Do a quick overview of what Roundtables are, who should attend, and why they are good things.

Do a mini sampler of various activities that they might experience at Roundtable. Include levels other than Cub Scout if you have any in attendance. Consider taking examples from previous years Roundtables, along with some from this year with its focus on Values.

End your class by having them fill out a form (and possibly running a discussion) telling you what they would be interested in seeing/doing at Roundtable. Have them give you feedback, and tell you what kinds of things would bring them into Roundtable, and keep them coming back.

At the end of the day, consolidate all suggestions and send them off to the various Roundtable Commissioners.

You could try to run the class as a RT.

1. Pre-openining game or skill.

2. Opening

3. Announcements (District/Council news)

4. Break-out areas (CM, DL, TC, MC, SM)

5. Regather for Closing

6. Cracker Barrel

If you can get at least four other people for the break-out sessions or you could try to explain the break-out sessions with a craft/skit/skill for (CM, DL, TC, & SM)'s and purpose of a Committee for MC's.

Keep them busy, keep them smiling, keep them comming back!

Remember one of the many Cub Scout slogans... Sempre Gumby (always flexible).

Have fun!!

Just my $0.02

Rick