Sounds like a cool troop, Eamonn. I would echo that the most important was the time your leaders devoted to Scouting. Sure it was fun for them as well, but the benefits to youth far outweigh the fun and frustration experienced with adults.

I have a weird question for you. I know that Vegamite is more Australian than British, but is there any truth to my theory that the stuff is actually motor oil? It sure tastes like it!

Ds

So, ozemu, what IS that sfuff? It looks and tastes like motor oil to me. Kraft may own it, but it isn't cheese. Of course neither is American cheese, but that's a horse under a different wrapper.

DS

yeast extract, salt, mineral salt, malt extract, NATURAL colour, vegetable extract, niacin, thiamine, riboflavin, folate and some preservative.

Apparently one of the world's richest known sources of vitamin B.

Maybe that accounts for the taste.

I disagree on the motor oil analogy - more like old wheel bearing grease.

We had something called Marmite, which sounds like the same thing. You spread it on hot toast.

Then there is /was Bovril, which you add boiling water to.

Both of these look like used motor oil.

However the one that I think takes "The Cake", was the Prune Soup given to the troops at Nordjamb. Even the London kids raised on Jellied eels and mash,passed on that one.

I have to admit that we're off topic here, but I've never found a cook book called "Fantastic British cuisine."

So, okay, I'll buy that the stuff isn't motor oil. Wheel oil is probably more accurate.

However, fellas, the one that took the cake for me was the perfectly American dish they tried to serve me in college -- peanut butter soup. I passed on that one. And this is coming from a guy that had no trouble eating guinea pigs in Peru . . .

At least they tasted like chicken.

Grin.

DS

Peanut soup is a delicacy in SE Virginia. DOn't knock it till you've tried it. Visit the Virginia Diner on Rt 460 in Wakefield and wash it down with a couple of Smithfield ham biscuits and sweet tea. Peanut pie (like pecan pie) for dessert.

My grandfather in Pa used to try to feed me fried scrapple...yecccchh.

My most admirable leader?...my Explorer advisor in 1970 when the Post became co-ed. What a brave man.