what to do? webelos needing to finish up without DL

The Webelos Den shouldn't have a bunch of Parents just hanging around. Just my opinion, but aren't we supposed to be graduating them into boy scouts.

IM, the ego comment is about many scout leaders trying to be the White Knight.

In rereading the the entire thread, It does seem that the Den Leader is the problem, Instead of removing the young man and lone scouting him to AOL, why don't you be his "adult" during the regular den meeting when mom isn't available. IMHO this would be a better solution, being that the den leader doesn't like to deal with the boys.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In rereading the the entire thread, It does seem that the Den Leader is the problem, Instead of removing the young man and lone scouting him to AOL,

Well, this isn't an option since this boy doesn't qualify to be a Lone Scout.

Lisabob, at the end of the second page of comments, brought up something that I would think should be a fairly major consideration as well - that is, the setting of "OFFICIAL PRECEDENT". If it becomes 'Precedent / SOP' to take a cub and give special dispensation to complete certain requirements outside the normal framework of his Den, then where could that lead? What if 3 cubs had a problem, but two of them couldn't work with each other either? Do you now have a Den of 4-5 plus three more groups of 'pseudo-lone Cubs'? I see a slippery slope. If the CM doesn't want this decision to revisit him every year, then he'd better decide he's not too "swamped" to deal with it after all.

However, why should the CM say that he "doesn't think that he could work with the scout"? Where's the ADL? A number posters have identified issues/red flags with the DL and I agree based on the evidence so far presented. However, I have seen no mention of the ADL. Obviously, with two-deep leadership firmly in place, the ADL should be an active part of whatever training etc., is going on in this Den. Are there similar issues between ADL and Cub?

Is there a Den Chief in this Webelos Den? It seems there should be a number of other options within the framework of the existing Den to adequately provide for this young man without the questionable solution of an outsider having to step in and take over his remaining months as a Cub. Perhaps your son, who has already indicated an interest in helping out, could talk to the CM and get appointed as Den Chief for the remainder of the session. As a Committee Member of the Troop, IM_Kathy, it is certainly in your best interests to foster as many connections as possible between Pack and Troop - providing Den Chiefs falls firmly in this category. In this regard you are not an outsider, but an integral part of the process of Webelos to Scout transition.

Depending in the situation, I believe your next conversation with the CM officially should be about your Troop providing Den Chiefs to several of his Dens, and unofficially could be about getting him to remind the DL about the philosphy of Scouting and getting both her and the ADL to step up and do their jobs. Hopefully he is not too swamped to do that.(This message has been edited by mpaull)(This message has been edited by mpaull)