The leaders kid

Don't worry about it! I can tell you from experience, there is a whole different level of joy that comes from watching your mom or dad be the scout leader. Your son understands and appreciates the time you are giving to him and his peers. He is proud to have a wondeful parent that cares so much, they take time out of their busy lives to make the scouting experience more special.

Just keep it up, and don't fret if your son ain't complaining...

As the year goes on, have more and more "group" activities that require the boys to do things together without the parents. Maybe something really active like a race that most couch potato parents will naturally stand back on. Get a coffee pot on in the back for them. Games and group problem solving activities work well for this. This kind of thing can be worked into the program over the year and encourage the boys to group up and parents to step back a bit.

If you are designing activities for parent/son, then yes, your boy will always be left out. It's time for some den/group activities.

A good Den Chief would be helpful with this. The boys all go one way and the adults head for the coffee. Let the DC do his thing with the boys.

Stosh(This message has been edited by jblake47)

I'm starting my 2nd stint as DL - went with 1st son from Tiger to Webelos. My 2nd son is a Bear, and I'm the 3rd (and hopefully last) DL for this den.

Anyway, I'd say I suffered from a bit of burnout with my older son's den. Essentially, I got tired of taking time away from my children when time after time, other parents wouldn't step up to help. It isn't the time during the meetings that I had a problem with, but rather the prep time that took away from other activities. During Den meetings, our time was either spent with me working with all scouts together or with all the parents who stayed helping out and circulating with all the scouts. My son never lost out on 1-1 time with me during the meetings.

With my current den I made things very clear. I'm having two meetings a month. One is a regular den meeting and each parent is required to prepare and run one. One is an outdoor activity (biking, hiking, or beltloop) with mostly low prep required. It's been great so far - I'm in Michigan, so the mandatory outside activity each month will be challenge, but hopefully fun too.

I remember one thing that happened with my older son . . when it was our turn to run the pack meeting flag ceremony, I arbitrarily said the kids with the best attendance could carry the flags (of course they all wanted to). I actually did a double take when I remembered that obviously my son was at the top of the attendance list. Thought about it, but didn't change my choice on how we were deciding. I did it unintentionally, but I wonder if the DL's kids do deserve some recognition for sharing their parents.

Rich

There's another side to this also:

Parents who get suspicious of your kids advancement.

Know what I'm talking abouit? Parents wonder if everything is on the up and up with what your kid had acheived and earned.

Last year,I was an Assistant Den Leader for Bears. My son was working on his second silver arrow point while some kids hadn't earned the Bear rank yet. One dad even called me out on it.

I told him it was simple:

Our pack meets every Monday night. The 1st Monday is leaders meetings, 2nd is a den meeting, third is a pack, 4th is den and 5th ...when it happens...is also a den meeting, but at discrection of DL.

Last year, we held 54 dem meetings. I attended 53 of them. The only reason I missed the one meetimng was I had cancer surgery and had a mass the size of 2 chicken eggs removed from my neck as well as 19 lymph nodes, and my Sternocleidomastoid Muscle. I also missed the Pack Christmas Party.

But I ...which means my son...attended all those meetings. Not trying to toot my own horn, but if I am that active in the pack, you can pretty much be assured I am that active with my son, who is also that active as well.

A scout who is that active, tends to earn his rank a little bit faster than others. That scout also earns gold and silver arrow points, LNT/ Outdoor patch, whittling chip, etc...

I then asked the parent how many things he and his son worked on at home, since Cub Scouts is a family oriented activity.

"Umm, well...we just do it at meetings..." of which they attended just a hair more than half of them.

Basically, the people who VOLUNTEER to be leaders , also tend to be the people who put in the extra effort.

>>A scout who is that active, tends to earn his rank a little bit faster than others.

Yeah, we do run into that too. I use the advancement poster at meetings and my son's "thermometer" on the badge progress and arrow points tends to be higher than others, but I haven't had any issues. Instead, the boys are motivated by it.

Lemme switch gears for a minute. I led the Tiger Den meeting tonight (long story...leader who volunteered backed out at the last minute). Kids had a blast and then I re-explained the "parent led" nature of the Tiger den to the parents...could've hear a pin drop. Fortunately the kids had such great fun that they kept asking "When's the next meeting!!!!" and I said, "It's up to your parents!" Heh heh heh...

Anyhoo, made me realize just what a blessing having a group of active parents (and a good ADL who is transitioning to DL) is in my Den, so I'm done worrying!!!!!!!!