Error in Webelos Handbook?

So, I've been working on the pack website that I've volunteered to create and was looking through my son's Webelos Book... Under bobcat badge requirements, it stated that it was earned after the Tiger cub rank but before all of the rest of the ranks.. HOWEVER. If you google a bobcat badge, it says all over the internet that the bobcat badge is achieved first before any other rank.

So which is accurate??? IS this a typo in the Webelos handbook?? Just needing clarification. Thanks!!

Yes, No, maybe.

There are a few ways to read into it, which, the book does not clearly state or explain.

A Cub first becomes a Tiger by signing up at Tiger age, but has to earn Bobcat before earning the Tiger rank BADGE.

That make sense?

He is a Tiger, just hasn't earned Tiger badge yet...but has to earn Bobcat before any other rank.

This also goes for boys who are first time joiners at Wolf, Bear and Webelos ages. If they have not earned Bobcat through a previous rank in scoutimng, they must earn Bobcat first.

Thos book has a few mistakes in it.

WRONG.

The Webelos Handbook you are looking at is an old edition.

When the Tiger Cub program became integrated into the Cub Scout Pack in 2001, Tigers earned Bobcat AFTER they earned their Tiger rank award. They would earn Bobcat at the END of 1st grade, before earning their Wolf rank award.

As of June 1, 2006, the Tiger Motto, and Promise, were eliminated, and Tigers, like all other Cub Scouts, were required to earn the Bobcat rank award first, BEFORE earning their Tiger rank.

ScoutNut has it right. Your book reflects the old program before Tiger was fully integrated into the Cub Scout program. Tiger is still a "psuedo" Cub Scout program, like Webelos; however it is now fully part of the program, so normal Cub Scout standards apply (such as eaning Bobcat before anything else).

My son got his Webelos book last year at his graduation ceremony.

I assumed that you had a newer print version..or this years book.

That's why I said what I said. Thinking that somebody mis-printed the info, as you still sometimes see Bobcat listed as a rank after Tiger on various on-line resources that are "supposedly" current.

Kinda like the Tiger Cub Uniform guide that has the Wolf,Bear, and Webelos badge on it too! :)

But I did point out as you did..the Bobcat badge has to be earned BEFORE the Tiger Badge(This message has been edited by scoutfish)

Just a remnant of the "old" program, where bobcat was earned before Wolf/Bear/Webelos, but after Tiger. No longer the case as of a couple of years ago. Your son' book is probably a slightly older version that was printed before that change occurred. That's all.

Actually, I believe the problem is that there has not been a REVISION of the Webelos Handbook for some time. They do a REPRINT every year or so, but that does not incorporate any changes as they are simply printing what they already have out there.