New Wolf Den meeting plans

Im reviewing the new den meeting plans trying to get everything organized and such and have found several errors just in the first few den meetings. I decided to go out to the internet and see if there was a list of errors, or updates or addendum's, but cant seem to find any. I did find an e-mail address to the programs team, and requested a list of errors or updates or addendums, but I just got a response that to her knowledge that no one has compiled a list of those errors.

I realize I might be a little behind in starting the new Cub Scout delivery and using the new den meeting plans (scheduling with round up), but certainly I not the first person to find these errors. Does anyone know of a compiled list?

Here is an example: in the first den meeting you need to take a picture of the boys from the head up (elective 9b), to use in den meeting 5. When you get to den meeting 5 there is nothing there about these pictures. As you read on and move into den meeting 6, this is where you will use the pictures. This is 1 example of several that I have found.

I'm not aware of any list yet floating round in the internets, though from time to time there have been postings about items that well, uh, aren't as well coordinated as they could be (and I've seen some of those myself).

-- Of course, the standard for drafting Cub Scout stuff is "Do Your Best", right? ;^)

I do suspect that once this wave of training is over and the Fall Camp O Ree is done, I'm going to try to do a thorough sweep of sites like these for commentary and do a full review of the Guide to help locate those sorts of things, as well as possible improvements.

-- I'm sorta interested in the process and getting it as good as it can be.

If you got some ideas or spot stuff and wanna share, post away or lemme know and it will get me going . . .

Bert Bender

Pack and District Trainer

South Fulton District, Atlanta Area Council

http://atlanta631.mypack.us/node/1005

Question about this den leaders reference and guide.

I'm a new scout parent and was wondering if I should pick up this guide? The only reason I would want to is so that I can basically review what the den and pack will be doing and see what is leftover for me and my son to be doing. I don't mind doubling up on some stuff but want to make sure I cover all the requirements for wolf by February. In essence I don't want to end up one of those parents who in February just signs off on all the requirements whether their child did them or not just to get the Wolf.

Key thing is to check with your den leader to see how the Den will operate (will they follow the meeting plans, will they alter and do things in a different way).

While of course BSA would want you to buy the book, note that you can get it all on line. Here's a link to the Wolf Plans:

http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/CubScouts/Leaders/DenLeaderResources/DenandPackMeetingResourceGuide/WolfDenPlans.aspx

If they are following the Guide, you can see there what they will do. Of course, from time to time, something may not get done in the meeting, and so the Den Leader may need to call it out for home assignment catch up.

I suspect your Den Leader may be in touch with you about how you can help (at meetings and otherwise), and so since you're interested in tracking the advancement through the meetings and what needs to be done at home, you might volunteer to help in that tracking role! ;^)

Marine1 - Personal opinion, but as far as I am concerned, parents wanting to get involved should always be encouraged..

Just watch out that you are encouraging your son to keep pace, and don't become one of those parents bent on pushing their sons to be the over-acheiver.. If your son is naturally an over-acheiver then don't discourage him. But, too many parents push their scouts to prove they have the better scout, and ultimately burn their sons out..

Your son and you have a long trail ahead that is filled with wonderful learning, and adventure. If you stay an involved parent, (but not a pushy parent) it will be a connection with him that can last throughout his teen years when other parents are searching for somethin to connect with there children about. It will be a connection that will fill you with pride as you watch him become a young adult who is self-motivated and confident and whose judgement you can trust in and respect.

Learn to guide when needed, step back when appropriate and enjoy watching the magic unfold.. Happy journeys to you and your son.

Marine1,

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!

In reference to your son and his den, I'd do the download method unless you are his DL. But by your name, I'm thinking you and your chopper are on call 24/7 whenever POTUS needs ya, so you may not be able to serve as a DL. Talk to the DL and see what's up too as things do get changed around and what not as special events happen. I know that since all of my cubs have Bobcat already, we skipped over most of the first meeting, and started work onthe second one instead. Also our 3rd meeting as a review of camping as we are going out this weekend.

just remember; KISMIF Keep It Simple, Make It Fun!

That was a great link. Thanks. I feel kind of bad for downloading those. But I suppose if they have put them on their own website, they want us to do it.

I don't want to hijack this thread.... so quickly I'll just say.....

I'm not active duty anymore nor was I a pilot. Marine1 is just a quick user name I came up with.

Hopefully I'll have time to post some more and I can get better acquainted with everyone here.

Back on topic now.....