Pack Fee and Cannot Pay

If a family cannot afford the Pack fee and refuse to fund raise we give them the boot. DEAD BEATS and they are teaching boys to live on the generosity of others.

We use scout accounts the way it works is 100% of the fund raising goes into that account. So every single penny that scout raises is available directly to him. We also have a yearly program amount, it is adjusted in May for the coming year. Recharter and the program fee come out of the accounts November 1st.

Insufficient funds in the account the parents are asked for it, on two occasions. 1st meeting in November and 2nd Meeting in November. December 1st they receive a notice that their scout is not current with his financial obligations to the Pack and may not attend Meetings as of January 1.

In three years we have issued about 10 letters and most have paid or made arrangements.

While I see scouting as important, Money is an important lesson too.

I have mentioned it before, earlier in my scouting career. I handed a stay at home mom a campership form to fill out while he was sitting in her brand new ford excursion, while she talked on her new cell phone and freshly manicured nails or fake nails.

We have a parent this year that all of her kids go to the most exclusive private school in town on scholarship, she asked us for help even before she signed up. Our response was NO, a scout pays his own way.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So many packs and troops in our area have gone away from selling popcorn because the cost keeps rising and the sales keep shrinking, and have come up with new and innovative ideas.

One pack and troop have been selling auto emergency kits at car shows and fairs that go for $5 for the small basic kit to $25 for the deluxe one and they sell out every time, as well as making much more than they did selling popcorn. I think the whole popcorn thing has become such a headache it is time to move on to something more practical and less pricy.

• 2 weeks later...

Evmori: (So basically, the Cub family pays nothing if they sell their allotment of popcorn, correct?

The math doesn't work 36 boys at $185/boy = $6,660. What is the other $10K for?

Who does the selling? )

I'm not sure what you're asking. What other $10K? Our fee is $175 and the boys get 25% of what they sell, no matter how high they sell. The extra above the fee can be used for winter or summer camp. The other 5% of our commission is to pay for leader registrations and books. If there is extra than we put it back into the pack in terms of supplies, paying for camps, etc. Last year we paid for everything for both our spring and June campouts and then reserved $1,000 to start off this year to purchase t-shirts, books, etc. ahead of time.

The boys do the selling. I think very few dads take it to work, some take their sons into their jobs to sell. Lots of the selling is done at booth sales. We have done 2 weekends so far and sold combined $7700 there. We are up to 43 boys but I'm not sure how many have actually sold..maybe 30..we are at $22K so far. Determination is a wonderful thing when it comes to parents wanting money in their son's accounts.

A prime example why charity DOES NOT Work.

Two boys on council scholarships, Saw them school night, Filled out application and Financial aid form. They got their shirt and book in the mail. Haven't seen or heard from them since. The the council wasted $100 on these two deadbeat scouts.

For me to endorse any financial aid at all, It would need to be a long time Active Pack member whose family is in financial trouble.

Never ever will I submit a financial aid application to council for a new scout.

Basementdweller, I had something similar last year. The committee decided to be nice and let new parents make two payments. Of course, those parents were a hassle to get money from. One boy in my den never paid. He got a shirt, handbook, neckerchief, derby car,etc. Because of the deadline he participated all the way through January without paying anything except a $9 check. I did not want to be a debt collector and once the committee finally decided to do something, the family got very mad and insulted and left the pack.

I too will never again be a part of just giving stuff away. I have no problem helping the less fortunate. I didn't get to participate in anything as a child due to our finances. So I truly think we should help boys join. But unless the family fundraises, I won't be a part of it. I also think that they should have to do a community service with the pack, but that is a whole other ball of wax. This year, we did not make the same offer to parents.