Webelos Fitness Activity Badge

Hello,

Looking for some fun ideas for a den meeting on the Fitness Activity Pin. I'm using 1 after school den meeting to introduce this mostly at home badge. Usually the Webelos Leader Guide gives me lots of fun ideas, but not for this pin. Active ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks much.

Yeah...that is a tough one.

I don't know..Maybe buying having the scouts "design"an after school snack that is healthy, but not too over the top for them. Kinda likeP: Choose between baked chips vs deep fried.

Choose between m&m's and friut cocktail.

Apples and orange slices vs candy bars.

Get Officer Friendly ( does he still exist?) to talk about abuse.

You might even be ableto stretch it by visiting a local EMS station for talks about drugs, drug abuse, tobbacco, etc.

Maybe even visit a local minor league Baseball team if you have one- you know..constant training and keeping in optimum shape. Maybe even a member of the military could visit during a den meeting.

It's a tough one for sure since half of the fitness regimine involves family discussion.

Yeah, Fitness is boring as written, and the concept that "Fitness conjures up the idea of sit ups, push ups, jumping jacks, etc." is one reason to go down that path and do Fitness with a dose of Athlete (which has those elements).

Here's a meeting plan that does that:

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/CubScoutMeetingGuide/webelos/WebelosMeeting1.pdf

You could talk about healthy snacks and serve "Ticks on a Toilet". My boys loved it and the parents were so funny about it. Core apples and slice. Spread with peanut butter or cream cheese. Sprinkle raisins on top.

What about the drug puzzle in the leader's guide or some make some kind of jeopardy game about nutrition/drugs etc.? I was thinking of doing having the boys measure out how many teaspoons of sugar that go into soda pop. or do some kind of other shocker with calories in their favorite foods. Hope this helps, it is not the most entertaining badge. :)

Our den made a weight lifter neckerchief slide which also counted for Craftsman. Be aware that it was complicated to make, but the resulting product was cool. I'll have to find the link for you and post again when I have more time.

Thanks all for the feedback. We had our fitness introduction meeting last night. It went well enough, although I wasn't able to cover all the items I wished. In particular I had the planned to take the boys down to the school library and log onto mypyramid.gov which is terrific. They have a game there for kids where you launch a spaceship by making good food choices. The boy factor with the game is that it will dramatically fail to launch if the diet or exercise wasn't adequate. Oh well, perhaps a real cold winter meeting when we can't go outside.

bbender we are doing athlete this month but in other meetings. I'm finding that with the new delivery method there is too much content for my group and in the time we have allowed. So, I am using those plans with caution.

Thanks AlamanceScouter for the personal trainer gym idea. If I had more time plan, that was a hot idea.

I'm putting it in my back pocket incase I need something in the spring.

ghermanno thanks for reminding me of Baloos bugle. The site seems to be having some trouble right now, I wasn't able to access it.

Denleader09 I took in a bottle of orange soda and we measured out the 7 tablespoons of sugar in it. That worked as a nice transition piece between a game and more talking. The boys were not shocked however, I think they have had a lot of this stuff in health.

I'm having fun with the boys. They have become a real team and were very warm and welcoming to the new boy.

Thanks all.