Temporary fill-in adult tiger partner

Despite my alias of "novice_cubmaster", I retired from scouting last year & am no longer a registered leader. After 6+ years, have become a civilian again, and divested myself of all my manuals, guides & other BSA documents.

Here's my question...

A friend has a son who just became a Tiger Cub. My friend is being temporarily shifted to working nights, and has asked if I could fill in as his son's Adult Partner (Mom's home with other kids, otherwise, she'd be there). What paperwork is necessary, if any, for me to fill in for 3-4 den meetings?

Thanks,

The artist formerly known as "novice_cubmaster"

Novice,

Welcome back, even if it is just for a short stay. My guess and it is just a guess, is all you'll need to do is fill out an application for the pack as a Scoutparent or committee memeber at large and have a current YPT card and you should be OK. You'll need the current YPT card before your app can be turned in. A permission slip signed by the parents for the DL saying that Junior is OK to be with you probably wouldn't hurt either.

My Pack is in an area that has a lot of swing shift workers, as a result we have a lot of kids that need to attend meeting/outings with someone other than Mom or Dad. One little guy had a stable of 4 partners (Mom, Grandpa, Uncle, and neighbor), but he came every week and excelled in the program. Communication was challenging but doable. The Pack registered all the people with the Pack and we went on our way so to speak.

Another option would be for Mom to bring the little one(s) to the den meetings. I had a family do that in my den (triplet siblings). I had a couple of only children in the den and both parents came to every meeting. When the triplets had to come one of the only's parents pitched in with the over whelmed Mom's kid. Maybe you could go and be the extra hands if the Pack doesn't want to register you.

Thanks for helping keep a little guy in the program. As the spouse of a swing shifter I know how the Mom in your case feels. If it weren't for the help of family, friends and neighbors my kids would have never gotten to do the things they've done if it was me by myself.

THANK YOU for helping out!

I cannot remember where the reference for this statment is, but i do remember the statment being in BSA literature. I have tried looking for it but I am unable to find it at this time.

The statement was something to the effect of,

An adult partner is a trusted adult that the Tiger Cub will attend events and outings with. This person must be a responsible adult age 18 years or older. This person can be a parent, grandparent, aunt, uncle, brother sister, or neighbor. I think that it may have been in the Cub Scout leaders handbook.

Just found it. It is on page 19-1 of the handbook and it talks about the Tiger Cub Program.

With that, I would make sure that you have either a letter or permission slip just in case something goes wrong and you need to make a decision. But it sounds like the parents will be readily available in most cases.

Hope this helps.