2010 recruiting

Had anyone else had an outstanding recruiting year? This year we lost a lot of boys primarily due to moves by the economy, but we've far exceeded that with signed up Scouts, most of them new to Scouting. This year has been as big or bigger than the one three years ago with the Milleneum babies. Not just for Tigers, but we've brought in a significant number of all ages. (Even 3 Webelos 2's).

Most of the packs in our area have been getting between 15 and 20 boys at each sign up night they attend. I did a sign up night for a pack last Friday. 22 boys showed up and 21 walked away registered. I think our pack this year has recruited 30 or 40 kids...not sure of exact numbers yet because I haven't looked at all the paperwork!

Ours went well last night. We went from a pack that was pretty much at death's door. We ended up with 7 new boys, but have 4-5 more recruitments left. So there is hope for us. Instead of a Web 1 and 2 den pack, we will now have Tigers through Web 2.

In August, we had given up after fighting a good fight all year, so we were so happy last night. This was our last chance. We have to compete with many many packs so it was a real celebration for us. What an exciting start to our year! So glad to hear others are having good turnouts too! :)

Just got home from our first sign up night.

We have three as we have 3 schools- all within 6 miles of each other and all within 4 miles of our pack CO.

21 families showed up. The Cub scouts were represented by 3 packs including mine.

I signed up 9 scouts and 3 leaders.

The other two packs signed up 2 and 4 scouts, 1 leader.

Not bad considering this was my first sign up.

But I'll be honest- we were not competing with each other. WE just stood up and took a minute or two to tell about our pack.

But I think the kicker was this: when parents had questions for the Cub Masters, the other two gave dry,( Bueller, Bueller, Bueller :) ) straight from BSA , book answers, I spoke as a person.

Now I have to do it again two more times.

This is encouraging! We did spring recruiting starting in May and have had boys trickling in all summer. Whereas last year this time we had no tigers, we now have a den of 7! I just hope it doesn't effect our fall recruiting efforts. It would be neat to have 2 tiger dens that could do friendly competition, etc. Our school sign up nights are 9-21 and 9-28. We'll see!

• 2 weeks later...

My pack is having a substandard year as we got approx 14 new cubs. But that is our fault. Those packs that are going to the Round Ups are getting the scouts. One pack went from 35 returning ( almost 100%) to 75 new and returning. That pack is also sending leaders to every RU.