New Webelos Den Leader and VERY nervous!!

I had a meeting with the cub master yesterday and we went over a ton of stuff. I feel a great deal calmer about the situation. She'll be there at my meetings anyway since her oldest is a webelos... I will have 2 den chiefs, a denner, and of course my husband as well as a parent volunteer each meeting.. I know that we can handle it..

I just worked on putting together my first meeting plan.. I'll be going over to the cub masters house next week to plan further ahead...

I'm starting to adjust to this new role and am actually starting to relax and enjoy it now..

Thanks for all of the great advice and will put it to use!! :)

I am so glad that your CM could make you feel more at ease. I can't really add more to the good advice that you have already been given. But just remember that everyone is nervous on that first meeting. As for the parents, my parents like to hang out, but mostly they are talking to each other and are not paying attention to me. They are just relieved that you are doing it and not them, lol!

I recommend having some kind of simple game or activity for the boys if you run fast on your meeting. The simpler, the better they love it. It also helps me to have my meeting outlined. I just have my agenda in front of me and I kind of time what I am doing as I go along. Just keep repeating the mantra: Keep it simple, make it fun. If you have fun, so will they.

I was so scared during my first few meetings and was so exhausted afterwards, but now I am so glad that I stepped into this position. You are being a postitive influence in these young people's lives. They are going to love you and will be surprised at how close you will get to them. :) Good luck at your meeting!!!

I think that's one of my many concerns now too.. I tend to speak really quick when nervous.. So if I work on slowing it down and taking my time, maybe it will take up the required time and I won't seem so flustered. And I do have some activity sheets for them to do so that will take up a little time.. I have it planned so that when they first get there, the kids will all get an activity sheet.. This will allow me time to say hi to those who walk in, get the attendance, and then get myself organized before it starts. Then when we get to the business part of the meeting, I'll pass out another activity sheet.. I know that once I've done it enough I'll be more calm.. It's just a first meeting for me and it's VERY rare that I am in front of anyone talking... Thanks for all of the votes in confidence!! :)