Terminology Arrow of Light Scouts

At CM training this weekend I learned that the 'New Method' will do away with the name 'Webelos Two' and replace it with 'Arrow of Light Scouts'.

I didn't know fifth graders had a problem with Webelos II, but I'm a bit worried about the abuse inevitable for 'Arrow of Light Scouts'.

'We'll Be Loyal Scouts' is shortened into Webelos.

'Arrow of Light Scouts' will become AoLS; 'Ay Oles'.

Say it three times fast, and tell me you don't see where this is going...

This is the first time that I've heard this terminology. Nationals and our local Council don't use it. I can't say that I like the use of it eaither. They are a Webelos Scout before and after they earn AOL until they bridge over. AOL is a goal, and achievement, but not a rank and it is highly inappropriate.

"Will the "Arrow of Light Scouts" be getting their own necker?"

Having observed how BSA supply works, I'm guessing that they'll get their own necker AND their own hat AND their own belt buckle.

If they're going to split up the two years like that, why not simply reintroduce the Lion badge and let THEM have their own necker AND cap AND belt buckle?!

Sherminator wrote:

Having observed how BSA supply works, I'm guessing that they'll get their own necker AND their own hat AND their own belt buckle.

My reply:

That is what I was trying to imply. That said, I think it would be foolish. The second year Webelos parents are already getting ready to invest in Boy Scout uniforms, it would be silly to do so for a 6 month time period.

Here a link to the official New Method:

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/cubscouts/ppt/CubScoutsNewDeliveryMethodWebinarv3.ppt#292,30,Slide 30

Slide 30 lists the nomenclature.

If you read the whole thing, the new method is focused on a higher retention rate.

Do they really think boys will like being called 'A-Holes' ?

Arrow of Light Scouts

AolS

Is my mind the only one in the gutter?

In looking at the outline, could they just be saying that there are six sections of meeting plans and the last one is plans specifically for those working on AoL and after achieving it but not crossed over?

As to the term "Arrow of Light Scouts", I actually don't think that exact phrase appears in that page on the PowerPoint -- but the term "Arrow of Light Den" does appear. Same result in the new Training syllabus (I haven't checked to see if it appears in the on line version released yesterday). So the term "Arrow of Light Den" does appear a lot, to refer to the Webelos Scouts who are formerly informally (say THAT three times fast) known as Web IIs and will probably continue to be informally called Web IIs. Now, there is one reference in the new Den & Pack Meeting Resource Guide to an Arrow of Light scout, but the inference in that letter template is clearly just to refer to a "Scout in an Arrow of Light Den".

Now, as to why "Arrow of Light Den" as opposed to formalizing the "Webelos II" den, I suspect the answer is probably based on Advancement Orientation: every other level has a "Rank Name" based on the rank that is the goal of the Den that year, so . . . why not Web IIs too?

-- Folks commonly refer to "our Wolf Den" as a way to identify the Cub Scouts who are working on the Wolf Badge, instead of "our Cub Scouts who maybe will earn the Wolf Badge later this year". It isn't like we only call them "our Wolf Den" only when they earn the Rank Badge!

-- So, technically, if you have a two year Webelos track, in the second year as they are working on the Arrow of Light, they are still Webelos Scouts, just as those we refer to as "Wolves" are Cub Scouts, but it may be more "rank relevant" to use the goal of Arrow of Light for that den.

-- That may be better than either "Webelos: the Sequel" or "Webelos: Lap Two"!

And, of course, some Webelos Dens don't have a "year one" and "year two" orientation, so the "Web I and II" tags didn't exactly fit there either. For program, those dens can choose some from the Webelos Den Meeting Plans in the new Guide and some from the Arrow of Light Den Meeting Plans, so that they cover all of the required Activity Badges and related requirements for the applicable rank badges.

Bert Bender

Pack and District Trainer

South Fulton District, Atlanta Area Council

You can Call me AL, You can call me AoL, You can Call me Web Two, Just be sure to Call me in time for Dinner

intertsing. But a few things. #1 some packs, mostly LDS units, still use the traditional 3 year program. So the term doesn't apply. #2 the way AOL requirements work, it is theoretically possible for a Web I in a non LDS unit to get AOL in March, April, May, or June if they have a b-day in Sept, Oct, Nov, or Dec. So again the term doesn't make sense.

Someone who hasn't been in the field is playing around with terminology.

Yeah, neither the Web I / Web II or "Web Den" / "AoL Den" terminology works with the LDS birthday rotation: there, as far as I can tell, you are a Webelos Den and you'll rotate in and out and the Webelos Badge and Arrow of Light would be covered in that 12 month period, no matter when you join (and, I suspect, one might earn the two simulaneously if that's, say, how Fitness or Citizen line up in the program, assuming one didn't accelerate it for an individual).

And there are "Webelos Dens" that spring up in 5th Grade, and do some of what would be "Web I" or "Web Den" activities, followed and/or interspersed with what would be "Web II" or "AoL Den" or Web: Lap Two" activities.

So, no one size fits all, since there are different types of Webelos Dens.

Whatever we call 'em, I just we call em "Scouts" when they leave the Pack . . .