Troop without scheduled meetings?

My son is in a Troop that does not hold any regularly scheduled meetings. Instead, they conduct their "business" after service projects, on campouts, etc. My concern is threefold: 1) the boys need some time to prepare for the outdoor tasks presented at the campouts; 2) the boys need more time than the campouts allow in order to practice and complete other, noncamping tasks; 3) the lack of a scheduled meeting time means that a boy cannot show up and take part, but rather has to rely on the phone tree run by the scouts to know when the next activity is.

This is a new Troop using a model with which I am not familiar. Maybe, despite my concerns, things will be fine in the end. Maybe we need to refine this model. If, however, this model has no successful precedent, I would like to know sooner rather than later.

I am no expert about running troop meetings, but sounds like you need a Scoutmaster's Handbook. There are some other manuals that I'm sure Bob White and others can also recommend.

The Scoutmaster's Handbook has it all laid out about weekly troop and patrol meetings. It starts with the first month for a new troop and then includes a few more months with certain activities stressed (like hiking, camping). Then there are other books that include plans for whatever the boys want to work on.

There are also books for the Senior Patrol Leader and the Patrol Leader.

I personally can't imagine not having regular troop meetings. Also, the troop committee should have meetings once a month.

In other words, a troop that ONLY camps, does service projects and special events, and during or after these events, the PLC meets to plan future events, and the patrols meet? It seems to me that you would be missing part of the program. The last time I attended a Boy Scout meeting (as opposed to Cub Scouts) was 1976, but I cannot imagine that the program has changed so that you can deliver it without regular troop meetings. And although my son's Cub Scout dens have NOT met weekly as mine did back in the 60s, both of the troops that I have inquired about so far for my son, meet weekly. Not just regularly, weekly. That may not be absolutely necessary. But no regular meetings at all, I don't see how it would work.

I'm not the SM, but I've got the Handbook. It says "The weekly meeting is the glue that holds a Scout troop together." Further, it says "Meetings should occur at the same time every week so that boys and their families can schedule efficiently." It doesn't say that a troop must have these meeting, just suggests that they should.

It is clear that the Troop is not going by the book. The question is, can the Troop ultimately be successful if it doesn't?

Stressbaby, I just read your second post. If you were to tell me that this troop had been using this method for 10 years and it was working fine, membership was up or steady, boys were advancing and learning and attending and leading and everything else with no regular meetings, I might say, hey, whatever works. But you say it is a NEW troop and though you didn't say so specifically, I get the impression that the "results" so far are inconclusive at best. That being the case, I personally would not want to have my son experimented on in this manner. If I may also "read in" to your posts, could it be that this method has been chosen because it is more convenient and less time-consuming for the adults (leaders and/or parents)? If so, perhaps you need new leaders who are willing to give the program the time and energy it requires.

Stressbaby,

That depends on your definition of successful. Can a group be successful campers without troop meetings? Yes. Can you have a successful scouting program? No. Your SM is treating camping a a goal of scouting instead of a toll of scouting. The troop meetings are vital to scouting for the very reasons you mentioned and more. It would seem your son's group is doing things in a scout uniform, but without the uise of troop meetings and the methods of scoutinging that a troop meeting allows the boys to experience, it is not scouting.

Bob White

I am not aware of any formal requirement to have regular meetings, but I cannot imagine a successful scouting program without at least some meetings. As Bob White said, this is a camping group, not a boy scout program. Most troops meet weekly. I have known successful troops that have met less often, but they met regularly on a published schedule. The approach you describe is surely a strange way of doing business and deprives the boys of important elements of the total program. If another troop is available you ought to consider moving sooner rather than later.

Now I understand why, from your first thread about your SM, you said that a Scout was eliminated from the Troop simply by not calling and telling him the camping dates! This group (I don't think I can call it a Troop) scares me. What you have here is a dictator as a SM, an obviously untrained and/or wimpy Committee and ASM's, a Troop Guide who has just crossed over from Webelos himself and NO regular or even publisized meetings. Unless you have some earth shattering reason to inflict this on your family, I would start looking at other Troops TODAY!!

BTW - I would contact your Unit and District Commissioner and let them know what is going on. I does not sound, to me, like your Charter Organization is honoring the terms of their charter!

ScoutNut raises an interesting point. I have never seen a charter agreement between a council and a chartered organization. I presume there is some kind of contract that is formally executed. I wonder what is in such a contract. I presume that there are obligations assumed by the CO, Perhaps Bob White can enlighten us.

KoreaScouter - Court of Honor is held at the Saturday night campfire. Families are invited, but I suspect family attendance will be less than desired (I know it won't be first on my wife's list of things to do on Saturday night!)

Eisely - Good question. Scoutnut or Bob White, do you know the terms of a charter?