Hello fellow Cubbers! Thank you for you wonderful threads full of information!!! I enjoy reading and getting ideas.

I am wanting to pick your brains. Our new DE has asked that I chair a Cub-o-Ree that is a month out. I haven't been to one, but have a rough idea of what it entails. I was wondering if any of you experienced cubbers have any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, ideas for easy (and cheap) craft, etc. I want this to be successful and knew who to turn to. Any ideas are welcome! Thanks in advance!

YiS,

Julie

Google "Cub Scout family camp out" to get some great ideas.

3 things are a must:

1) BB GUNS

2) Archery

3) Fishing ( depending upon location of course).

other ideas I've seen and used include

climbing wall

slingshots

pumpkin sling shots

tie dye

ham radio operators

historical reenactors (all eras)

Rowboats ( ok haven't seen it YET, council is planning on using htem in Oct.)

Nature Hike

Fishing ( yep again, beleive it or not fishing is the #1 favorit activity at my day camp last year. Archery was 2nd and BB Guns was 3rd.)

Belt Loop Midway

Weather

Marbles

Map and Compass

Voleyball

AND depending upon location

Swimming

Bowling

Video games

For administrative guides, check out Southeast Louisiana Council's encampment guide. When I was there they put on a real big shindig (10K+ cubs and family members.) good luck.

The couple years I ran Cub-o-Rees I approached it as a one-day day camp, which was easy since I was also the day camp director. Give your district's day camp folks a call and ask for their input. They will have lots of ideas and resources. For example, they're going to know who is certified to run shooting sports ranges; that Pack XX goes fishing alot has folks who would run that station, that they have 10,000 craft blanks left over from summer camp, and things like that.

If you're including an overnight campout, you also need to know that, like day camp and resident camp, there are standards and protocols for running Cub Scout family camp. Because they don't get inspected and accredited the way day and resident camps do, I don't think many councils really follow them. But it's a really good idea.

Most of the real work involved in following the standards is related to facilities (a certificate that the well water is sanitary, that the swimming pool is properly licensed, agreements with the local VFD and hospital, etc., ect.). That stuff really should be done by the council camping committee and/or the camp ranger. Your focus should be to make sure your program stuff is run properly, like your BB guy and aquatics people are certified, that you have people trained in CPR and first aid, food is stored properly, etc.

It's been five or six years since I was involved with the family camping stuff, so some of the details may have changed. I would start with the council's professional program person. He or she should have the info and should be able to direct you to other volunteers who can help.