cermonies for September 11

We have our first troop meeting of the seasnon on Sept 10, and I've been thinking about an appropriate SM minute to close the meeting. The best I can come up with so far is to tell my scouts to have courage, that rightousness will prevale over hatred. But most important, I want to tell them that they are our future leaders, and that as scouts they have an opportunity to demonstrate duty to God and country, and learn to be good and just leaders. So I want to tell them to be hopeful of the future, and not to let hatred and bigotry dominate their actions.

Does this make any sense? I'm open to suggestions from this forum.

We're in a military retreat ceremony with the 51st Fighter Wing (Mustangs, "Tip of the Spear") on the 11th, then right over to our troop meeting. Actually, not a big deal for us here, since we do a lot of this commemorative-type activity, especially with Korean War 50th anniversary stuff going on until next summer, and our chartered organization is a VFW post...

For a SM minute, you may consider telling your Scouts what I told mine last year. To paraphrase: "Millions of families are wondering what they can do, and we're seeing new outpourings of patriotism, helpfulness, compassion, and service from many people to whom such activities were considered 'corny' on September 10th. As for you Scouts, keep doing what you have been doing and are doing. As Scouts, you are a constant example of patriotism, helpfulness, compassion, and service to your families, your community, and your country. Scouts are over-represented in the ranks of astronauts, FBI agents, and military service academies -- all examples of selfless service. As I look out among you, I see the American heroes of tomorrow."

KS

How about a fireman's hat, police hat, and scout hat in the foreground with candles around them. They are all engaged in service to their communities and are all heroes in the way they conduct themselves. Offer a prayer for all those who have suffered because of 9-11 and a celebration of our youth and future leaders by handing out the awards. Before closing explain how important it is to our country and to our fellow man to follow the principles of scouting to continue to improve the world we live in.

Koreascouter, what a terrific Scoutmaster minute!!! Not only for Sept. 11th, but anytime you need something to motivate. With your permission, I'd like to use your thoughts at my son's Eagle Court of Honor.

Thanks for taking the time to post it.

Mark

KoreaScouter,

Nice words. I hope and pray that most troops realize that Scouting is not about camping so much as it is about duty to God, family, and country. Perhaps I am wrong about this, but my gut feeling tells me that way too many troops put camping and survival skills above these other things. CHARACTER is more important than camping!

ScoutParent,

I hope it was just an oversight, but such a display would be odd without a hat to represent the military. I understand and agree that the firefighters and policemen of NYC made a great sacrifice. However, let's not forget about the young men that have died in battle and the many more that are apt to before this is all over.

To those planning a 9-11 ceremony,

Who knows where all this will lead to, but let's not take God for granted or His goodwill towards our nation. If you're having a 9-11 ceremony, I think any such ceremony would be lacking if it did not include a petition to God. If we're unwilling to humble ourselves and bend our knees during these times - then when?(This message has been edited by Rooster7)