This was my first year as a Den Leader and can not believe the lack of enthusiasm from our CM. Most of the other leaders and parents feel the same way I do. What can we do? Also our Committee Chairman just spends every meeting talking about changes he wants to make but of course nothing happens. I have thought about moving to another pack ,but fell obligated to the other boys in my den.

Let me give you some perspective from my point of view....

I am the brand new CM of My pack. The previous cubmaster asked me to be the CM because I am fairly new to the whoile buisness and I have plenty of ideas, enthusiasim,etc.....for now.

The Cm was an awesome lady, but she's been CM for 6 years. In those 6 years, she watch the entire leadership cross out with only her having expetrience. She's been the CM, CC and Treasurer all at once for lack of anybody even thinking about helping, much less actualluy helping out. She's dealt with parents who thought BSA meant Baby Sit All the time. Parents who thought they had special priveledges because of their income or last name.

Then you have people who are the spouses of registered leaders..who are not actually registered themselves who somehow think they have pull in the pack.

WOW! We couldn't make the job harder for the CM if we tried huh?

Now as for the committe chair: Bunch of new ideas huh? Sounds great! Who's helping or stepping up to impliment those ideas? I am only asking because a CC cannot do it all by themselves.

Now, I'm not saying that your CM and CC are perfect angels.....just saying, not everything is as it seems.

Talk to your Cm. See is having a job, as well as kids, as well as taking charges of the program and the rest of everybody elses kids as well as baby sitting parenst might be wearing on his/her enthusiasm a little bit. See if the Cm needs some help ina particular area. See if the Cm can delegate to the ACM or possibly let somebody else take over.

CC: Well, a CC is only as good as the committe that serves with the CC

So, you want to move to another Pack because the CM has no enthusiasm, and the CC does not get the changes made that he says he wants?

Just how is this all affecting your son so badly that you must move him to another Pack?

How is the CM not showing enthusiasm? Why? Is there an Asst CM? Is the ACM of any help to the CM? Does anyone help the CM out?

What changes does the CC want to implement that are not getting done? Why are the changes not being implemented? Does your Pack have a full committee?

What does your Charter Organization have to say about the potential CM burnout, and the changes that the CC wants to implement?

Did your son have a good Tiger year? Did the rest of your den have a good year? Are they all enthusiastic about returning in the Fall as Wolf Cub Scouts?

I'm not completely clear on the problem. It could be the CM just needs some encouragement and support. But if the CM is merely unenthusiastic then the dens are free to take up the slack and make the program exciting. I was both den leader and CM in the pack that I served and the dens are where the enthusiasm is really needed, at least more than at the unit level. If you are meeting the deadlines for pack meetings, successfully completing the pack events like pinewood derby and the Blue and Gold Banquets, then good dens will carry the day even with a weak CM. But if the CM has become an active obstacle to doing things, then the committee chair is just a chair and the committee members can take the lead in getting the things done that need to be done. This is one reason a good committee is really important for all units.

So my advice is: take care of the dens first and then help the committee chair and the committee get things moving. From what little you describe, it sounds like your pack has plenty going for it with enthusiastic dens, den leaders, and committee members.

WOW! I know it might look like everybody jumped on you, but that's not how it is.

I'm gonna give you an example of something that eats away at a CM's and CC's enthusiasm:

We hold two BBQ chicken dinner fundraisers each year. The Committee member "in charge" of the dinner wants to change things each year. Brings the same ting up at every meeting: "Bolied potatoes are just too hot to eat- lets have potato salad instead!"

Problem being..Why are boiled potatoes too hot when you are also eating HOT chicken just off the GRILL? And Hot green beans and hot bread and your chicken has HOT sauce on it?

Now mind you..this "in charge" doesn't plan on making the potatoe salad. Matter of fact, this "in charge" person olny shows up hours after both locations have already set up, been cooking for hours and serving too. Then the "in charge person" wil point out everything that is being done wrong ...all the while not actually doing ANYTHING themselves.

Then tells people something along the lines of : "WEll, our CM and CC didn't want to do "X" so that's why this is the way it is!"

WE vote as a committee and leadership about what happens at our dinners. As wella s menue, prices and we agree amongst ourselves about who works what location. We all pitch in and all get dirty. Al except the "in charge" committee person. She did not lift a finger, did not exert anl physical labor at all, did not procure or gather any food, materials or supplies.

But she is also in a few social circles where all those fine upstanding folks will "Oh you poor thing!" her to death.

SO...the CC and CM who have been busting their but like the rest of us and had to do the stuff that "in charge" was *SUPPOSED* to do...tend to get burnt out.

s isn't even counting the ocasional mom or dad who never shows up for anything...but suddenly and urgently cannot understand why they have to take their kid to location A instead of location B which would be soooo much less traumatizing to Jr!

Anyways, my point is this: A CM and CC can only do what they can with everybody elses help or support.

Sorry for the hijack. I have to take exception to one of Scoutfish's points: "Then you have people who are the spouses of registered leaders..who are not actually registered themselves who somehow think they have pull in the pack."

Behind a great number of successful scout leaders are some awfully hard working spouses. In our pack, these ladies were rarely registered committee members, but they were the reason our Blue&Gold nights, Holiday parties, Back to the Pack cookouts, etc. were all successful.

Sometimes, they just filled in for a lack of volunteers. Sometimes having a live in "assistant", available at a moments notice, at ridiculous times, who knew what you wanted, let us registered leaders pull a rabbit out of the hat instead of falling on our faces.

As for these leader's spouses having any pull - the only pull they had was adjusting a few of our plans to something they could make happen.

NC

I should have been more clear:

When I said "..... people who are the spouses of registered leaders..who are not actually registered themselves who somehow think they have pull in the pack."

I was actually refering to a few spouses ( both male and female who are not part of the program, who do not assist or help out at any function, but on the occasional times they do show up ( maybe pack campouts, Christmas party) they will tell actual registered leaders as well as den leaders what to do - and expect it to be followed without question.

Again, both male and females do this. I laugh at them and do not even miss a beat with what I am doing, but this does cause alot of friction with those who do not know better.

Do not think I meant ALL spouses as those "other spouses" do support and impliment and do more for the program more than most know!

Sounds like the CM may be getting a little burned out. I, as a leader in the Pack anyway, may approach him/her and suggest a little help. Is there an ACM? If not, maybe one is in order to kick things up a little bit. If there is a ACM in place there are always other positions ("official" or not) that may be able to help out. Camping Chief, Activities chief, Event Coordiantor,etc. Anybody to bring in a little fresh prospective.