We're planning our graduation ceremony in conjuction with a campout that we're haivng at a local campground. I'd like to give the Den Leaders a little help on what to say as the boys come forward and advance to the next rank. Something along the lines of "You have mastered the rank of Tiger, quick and fearless like the Tiger of the animal kingdom now you move to Wolf where you must be..." and I'm stuck. I need something for Tiger, Wolf, Bear and Webelos I. I've done a ton of web searches but I havne't found anything that really fits. We're planning on doing a little "tribal" face paint but not the "painted ranks" that you see online. Anyone got any ideas?

jami,

have you looked at Staging Den and Pack ceremonies? Googling cub Scout graduation ceremonies may help too.

Now if you want something customized, tell me how many folks are involded and what positions they hold, how long you want it, and what type of theme you want and have props for.

Hopefully your just passing entire dens on to the next level, not holding up boys' rank advancement so you can give them out in mass.

We did this at the year end picnic about this time of year. The pack paid for and gave each boy his den neckercheif for the next year as well as a service star.

For the rising Webelos IIs, who would be wearing the same necker in the fall, we gave them name BSA name plates. They were generic enough for the Webelos to continuing wearing as Boy Scouts and became a real source of pride for the older guys.

Yep that is correct. We are just crossing the dens over to the next rank. They've all earned rank badges and arrow points at this point. The only awards we're giving out are a few beltloops that they have earned and one den has really worked hard and earned the "Leave no Trace" award.

Positions are me (CM), my ACM, and the individual DL's. I'd like to have the DL's do the crossover speeches.

I've always thought that grad ceremonies with new neckers was kind of bad for the Webelos about to start their second year. I was the den leader for a Webelos den that crossed over in March. Now, I'm the assistant den leader for Webelos den that will cross over next March (I've got two sons, one in each group) For the Arrow of Light ceremony, the boys each made an arrow. I bought 25 modern manufactured stone arrowheads for this (had 17 left over). I made the leftovers into necklaces for the new second year Webelos, and told them that this was to remind them of what they are working towards, and that this will become the point of their Arrow of Light in the spring. My only change is that if I were to do it again, I'd make woggles out of the arrowheads.

• 2 weeks later...

I did make a few changes after it was printed out but here is the gist. I combined 3 different ceremonies that I found online. We were creekside. The boys started out on the other side of the creek across a little rock/wood bridge.

Today we are celebrating the conclusion of our Scouting year. As many of you know, Scouting started in England in 1907 when Lord Robert Baden-Powell took 7 boys to Brownsea Island for a camping experiment. But the roots of Scouting go even farther back. In 1899, Baden-Powell was a Colonel in the British Army fighting the Dutch Boers in South Africa. Colonel Baden-Powell was in charge of a town called Mafeking. It was under siege by the Boers. The Boers shelled the town every day except Sundays. When that happened, everyone had to hide in trenches until the shelling stopped. Baden-Powell noticed that the last ones into the trenches and the first ones out were the young boys. He needed to keep these young lads from doing risky things and getting wounded. So he organized them into a Boys Corps. They ran messages from Headquarters to the troops and citizens, and they practiced Army Scouting skills. This helped him enforce discipline on them in a way that they could accept.

The food was running out, the Boer force was 10 times the size of the British force, but Baden-Powell used his cunning to hold the town for 217 days, until British reinforcements could arrive and rescue the town from the Boers. When he got back to England, he found himself a National hero and a small book he had written for the Army, "Aids to Scouting", was being used by British boys to play games of scouting. He remembered those boys in Mafeking and what his Boys Corps did for them. He rewrote his book into "Scouting for Boys" in 1908 and Boy Scouting was born.

The tradition Baden-Powell started in Mafeking, we are continuing today. When the boys in Mafeking learned their scouting skills, they were rewarded with a promotion in rank. So too, do Cub Scouts, after showing their abilities in certain skills, earn their ranks of Bobcat, Wolf, Bear and Webelos. Our Scouts have learned many new skills this year. We will now reward there efforts by promoting them to their new ranks for this next Scouting year.

Webelos I to Webelos II:

Would the following Scouts please step forward: As you can see by their colors, these boys have been working hard at earning their Activity Badges. They are in the final steps of preparation to cross over to Boy Scouts. Scouts, you have learned new skills and have shown yourselves ready to become Second Year Webelos Scouts. Wear your Webelos Colors proudly like all Scouts have for the last 100 years.

Please cross the bridge and prepare to welcome the new Webelos to your den.

Bears to Webelos Promotion:

Bears , please step forward.

Bears, you have shown yourselves worthy of joining the Webelos Den by working hard through the ranks of Wolf and Bear. The Webelos Den has one big purpose. That's to prepare you for Boy Scouting, You will work on very exciting activity badges, learning things that may lead you to lifelong hobbies or professions. At the same time, you will study Boy Scout requirements so you will be ready to become Boy Scouts.

Parents of Bears, please step forward. Please remove your sons Bear items.

You have helped your son along the Cub Scout Trail this far. It is important that you continue to go along with your sons and learn about the Boy Scout trail in his Webelos Den. I know that we will soon have the pleasure of seeing your son presented with activity badges, the Webelos Badge, and finally, the Arrow of Light, the highest award in Cub Scouting.

Bears, as I call out your name, please cross over the bridge to become Webelos, and receive your new kerchief from the Webelos II Scouts. Wear your new rank and kerchief proudly like all Cub Scouts have for the last 80 years.

Wolves to Bear Promotion:

Wolf Scouts, please step forward.

Wolves, you have spent this year learning about Cub Scouting by earning your Wolf Badge. The Cub Scout Sign symbolizes the erect ears of the wolf. All of you have done your best to live up to the ideals of Cub Scouting. However, you are not ending your expedition here, but just beginning it. You will now begin on the trail of the Bear. Scouts, you have learned new skills and have shown yourselves ready to become Bear Cubs. All other animals respect the Bear because of his size, loyalty to its young, and hunting. Today, you will receive your Bear Kerchief. The Bear Kerchief is blue. Blue stands for truth, loyalty, and obedience. You must learn to obey before you can expect others to obey you. The kerchief stands for obedience to the Law of the Pack. Wear your new rank and kerchief proudly like all Cub Scouts have for the last 80 years.

Parents of Wolves please step forward. Please remove his Wolf items.

Parents, Your participation in your son's scouting experience is essential. You have all done a great job this scouting year. Please continue to do so as he advances through the ranks.

Wolves, as I call out your name cross over the bridge to become Bear Cubs, and receive your new kerchief from the Webelos Scouts.

Tiger to Wolves Promotion:

Tiger Cubs, please step forward.

Tiger Cubs during the past few months, you and your family together have explored all sorts of new and exciting things and places as stated in the Tiger Cub Motto: SEARCH, DISCOVER, SHARE. Together, you will join the Wolf Den. And, together, you will grow and learn new things while earning each badge. You will support and strengthen your Cub Scouting and own family in each step you take. Your parents will help and support you in each step of your journey.

Parents of the Tiger Cubs, please step forward. Remove your sons Tiger items.

Parents. as your son steps over the bridge to the Wolf Den, you will be accepting the parental responsibilities of Cub Scouting. You will promise to do your best to help your son to be a good Cub Scout, to encourage him to fulfill the Cub Scout Promise and obey the Law of the Pack. You will also promise to help him in his Cub Scout Achievements and Electives.

As I call out your name, please step forward, and receive your new kerchief from the Bear Scouts. The Wolf Kerchief is gold, like the sun. It stands for joy in a job well done. Have fun as you learn the way of the Wolf Scout. Wear your new rank and kerchief proudly like all Cub Scouts have for the last 80 years.

New Tigers

Would the new Tiger Scouts please step forward.

You are getting ready to start on a great trail! First as a Bobcat, and then as a Tiger. There are many great adventures waiting for you.

Parents of the new Tiger Scouts, please step forward.

As we call your name, cross over the bridge, and receive your Tiger neckerchief from the Wolf Scouts. The orange represents the beginning flame of scouting. An orange flame is not yet hot, but has just started and has huge potential.

when I was an ol CM, I think it looked better not to "read the script" when doing ceremonies. KISAF (Keep it simple and Fun). Also allows you to "adjust" as younger cubs don't always follow the program.

I like your ceremony, but if you can read over it a couple time you should be able to wing it.

A 3x5 with some bullets is ok... just not verbatim from a script.

p.s. no one will know when you stray from the script, so don't acknowledge it.

Just about any of the online multiple group rank award ceremonies can be used for graduation with just a bit of adjusting.

Since you will be at a campground an Indian ceremony of some kind would fit nicely. Something involving the campfire, or even a painted face ceremony, would work well.

We also give our Scouts their new Handbook, new neckers, and a new necker slide. Webelos get a compass. The changing of neckers, and the presentation of handbook/compass, are included in our ceremony.

Here are some sites to check out for ceremonies -

http://www.macscouter.com/Ceremony/

http://www.netwoods.com/cermonies/cub-grad.html

http://www.scoutingbear.com/Ceremony/cerecub.htm

http://insanescouter.org/c/44/ceremonies.html