There are no new problems in scouting!

This was a topic at a commissioners college once. It centered on the premise that units in this program, although spread out all of the country, have the same problems at what time or another. Even though you feel yours is unique, others have been through the same thing at some point.

We had each person in the class, there were maybe 2 dozen, write down the most unusal problem thay ever encountered. as we read the situation we had everyone who ever experience the same thing to raise there hands. There wasn't a single situation that 5 or more people had not been through already.

I see a lot of the same things happening here. I thought it would be fun to have people just post there situation that they feel is unique to their unit, and to have others reply (not with a remedy or opinion) but just if it happened in your unit as well.

If the item is one you would like input on it can be used to start a fresh string.

So who has a unique problem that they feel no one else has dealt with?

Back in the early 70s we had a Scout get strung out and try to kill the Scoutmaster. I wasn't the intended victim but I did have to subdue the scout. The scout ended up in the hospital with a broken arm, fractured skull and some cracked ribs. I had knife slashes on my arms and across my abdomen. Many parent called for a ban on knives at campouts.

after reading Zorn's post, mine will seem very pedestrian.

The biggest problem we face is having so many scouts on medication during summer camp, that our committee chair (a pediatrician) has to have two footlockers, one for herself and another for the drugs. We have to have a sign out method for the drugs and when she is gone (horrors!!!) some one has to fill in for her.

On a personal level, when my son had his ureters connected to his colon so he would urinate and defecate at the same time, it was a little tough explaining why he needed at least a latrine nearby at all times. And on back packing trips I carried the portable toliet seat and plastic bags. He didnt want anyone to know he couldnt pee like a "Normal" kid. Then when he had surgery to create the stoma he now drains and had to sleep with a drainage bag attached, he was quite upset and embarassed. However, the good news is (read the humorous story thread) he has adjusted well to the bag and the whole deal.(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)

Had a scout attack the leaders with a machete. Fortunately one adult was able to tackle him from behind and the other leaders subdued him. It wasn't until they got back that the mother told us he was taking drug therapy for anger control and she did not send any for the trip (figured he would be OK). One trip I'm glad I missed.

Bob

OGE, I "feel your pain" re: medications. After all these years, I still cannot comprehend how some of these young men can be on so many medications. It's like a traveling pharmacy when we go on outings. Makes me wonder if my two, who are on no medications, are missing something.

These sure bring a new meaning to "be prepared". We need some serious medical help. One being the pharmacist to fill the needs and a doctor to suture the results of taken or missed medicine. And we thought the toadkiller & humper were out there. The machette one is a real side splitter (pun intended).

At my 1st summer camp, I was asked to fill in for the Scoutmaster. I drove his Suburban with our Troop Trailer attached. Thursday at breakfast, one of the other SMs advised me to check out the Suburban. One of the scouts in camp scratched F$(#* YOU into the door on the passenger side.

I never expected that of any Scout. Was very dissapointed. Was especially disappointed in the reaction of the SM whose boy apparently did the handiwork (long story how we found out).Was beside myself with how to tell the SM. And all in the vehicle were somewhat amused with the looks we got driving down the road with 8 uniformed Scouts and leaders, pulling our Troop trailer, with our lovely artwork.

Disappearing Scout at klondike

I have not had any attacks but last year we had a scout that just kept disappearing. On second he would be right there and the next he was nowhere to be found.

After the camp we found out that he would go to the cabin to get warm. But it was hard on me, to not know where he was.

On of my fellow scouters at work had a lost scout last year that I hope I never have. They had hiked into a camp about 10 miles from the road. Set up camp and were playing steal the flag. one of the new scouts (it was his first outing and was feeling under prepared and not yet accepted into the troop) went into the woods.

when he did not come back in 15 min. the boys started to get worried. at 30 min they told the scoutmaster.

By morning search and rescue had been called, and the boys mom was on the seen making a seen.

searched all day couldn't find him.

The next day the boy wandered into a camp about 1 mile from where he started just as a horse fell over dead. He had not eaten in 1.5 days and didn't drink any water because he was afraid of geardia (spelling ?). All ended well but for 48 hours in was not very fun.

James

The SM whose boy most likely defaced the car agreed that it was probably his Scout. He said this same boy was almost sent home for slashing wall tents (Why ALMOST sent home, I still can't figure out!!).

He said that because his Troop is an LDS Troop, many of the boys really didn't want to be there. He said their policy for dealing with a serious problem like this was to arrange for a meeting between the boy's parents, himself, and their Bishop (I think he said Bishop). He took my phone #, gave me his, and I awaited his call.

6 weeks after camp, I still had no phone call. so I gave him a call. By this time, our SM had his car repainted, and it was amazing how stoic he was about the whole thing. I wanted to find out what happened with the boy, and let him know that our SM was not going to pursue compensation. I left a message to have him call me back. No call back. I called again in about a week. Message. No call back. Same the next week, and the next. I know I had the right guy, his name was on his voice mail message.

After the first month of calling every week, I called on the 1st of the month every month for almost 2 years and left a message that I was trying to find out what happened in the meeting. Never got an answer. I guess my desire to perservere only lasted a couple of years: I finally gave up.

Told you it was a long story!!