ABSOLUTELY!!!! Talking to the leader of last years Webelos ( second year) Den....It seems like the boys in that den had a better time, more fun, and "seemed" to get more out of the program by doing den trips to places like a private lake and spend the weekend fishing, cooking, and such.

Now, I am not in anyway discouraging an official BSA camp or such, but the leader is question said "his" boys acted like they had more fun, learned more, worked together better and became a stronger unit when camping as just a den as compared to when they went to council or district camps.

Again, I am not saying that ther did bad at those District or council camps...just that the den ones went better.

My point is this: It's better to go on a $15 weekend den campout on Old Man Furney's farm with the big pond than to not going to council/district camp or anything at all - because you can't afford it.

Bear Dad,

How did it work? Well, like I said, the big attention grabber was when I showed them the hours that the Adults volunteer outside of the normal program hours. When they understood how many hours are give up for free on top of paying the way for our own sons in the Troop, I think it did help to humble a few people. I never heard a complaint again from any of the parents who were complaining at that time; not even through the "grape vine".

You are also correct that the parents who were complaining were not contributors to the Troop. I found that true in my days in the Cub Pack also. The loudest complainers were always the ones giving the least or no support to the Pack. I think that goes along with the old 80/20 rule; 20% of the people do 80% of the work... That's just the way it is in most cases.

ASM59

Scoutfish,

Yea the couple of trips are close , the lake I am going to does not charge for scouts, there is one that does a couple of bucks which is close so the gas savings offset the cost.

ASM59

Thanks for the insight, I am with you on the 80/20 thing for sure!! We have only 2 den leaders for 3 dens. The Tigers dl quit, so I stepped up and did it this year. We have 2 boys in that den which I told both parents I am not doing the Wolves program, I am doing alot with other things within the pack .

Told parents that could do it together as they been doing this stuff with other sons in my den all year long.

No wonder why leaders and others get burned out so quickly, they are overwelmed because parents want some one else to do it and then gripe when it is not done the way they would have done it. That the point THEY DID NOT DO IT!!