Our pack is kicking around ideas of things to do as fundraisers so we can help with the cost of summer camping. I was told there are things we can do as cubs and things we can't but I haven't been able to find a list anything of what we can't do. We are thinking of a pack garage sale, a local restaurant wants to have a cookout and 100% of the money will go to our pack, movie night at the church ect.

Do any of you know where I can find this information??

Thanks!

When you read the Unit money Earning application (2nd page) it lists some things that are guidelines for things you can/can't do:

Regardless, you need to get the application approved before hand.

For example: Sell fireworks or solicit funds directly, or gambling proceeds.

Google "cub scout unit money earning" application and you can read it.

(This message has been edited by dg98adams)

The unit money earning app. is a good place to begin. Once you read the boundaries that sets up, contact your District Exec and tell him or her that you need approval to do an extra fundraiser. He or she will want to know what you're doing and for what purpose. They might also ask you why you didn't just participate (or participate more) in existing council fundraisers (like popcorn sales). You aren't obligated to do so, but they might still ask (they always asked me!). From personal experience, the only fundraiser I ever had turned down was when a pack wanted to use its BSA identity to raise money for an outside charity. If you have a reasonable fundraiser in mind that fits within the guidelines on the money earning application, you'll probably be approved.

One thing to consider about "movie night" is that you might be infringing on someone's intellectual property rights unless you made the movie (which isn't what I think you meant!). With some exceptions, it isn't legal to, say, buy or rent a DVD from the store and charge admission to the public to watch it in your living room (or where ever) without paying royalties to whoever made and distributed the movie. Would you be caught? Probably not, but just a head's up.

The restaurant cookout could be iffy too. It would basically be a donation to your Pack, and your Pack is not a legal entity in and of itself with a Federal tax ID for the restaurant to use for tax deduction purposes.

If your Charter Organization is a non-profit they might let you use their Federal tax number so that on the restaurants taxes the contribution is actually going to the CO and not the Pack. However that is something you would have to clear with your CO.

As others have mentioned, all non-council sponsored money earning activities MUST be approved by your council in advance. Here is a link to the Unit Money-Earning Application -

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/34427.pdf

I think you have some good ideas. Here are some suggestions that I have instead of just telling you to look at paperwork. Which by now you need to get the application done and I will go onto your original question.

Movie Night - They are right, you cannot charge admission. THe copyright laws say that you can show it to as many people as you want, as long as you are not profiting from the movie. With that said, you can sell snacks and drinks. Hey I have got a ton of trails end left over.

Garage sale - Talk to you CO. Maybe you can make the yard sale a bigger fund raiser. If you have a parking lot with painted lines offer parking spots for people to rent. Charge them $20 a spot. They get to keep what ever money they gain from their sales. This would take some advertising and pre sales.

Let the restaurant do their cook out. That is up to them. Offer to help with clean up after the fact or during. Someone has to keep those trash can empty.

Get creative. Think outside the box.

Just a note - If my memory is correct when the movie, October Sky, is shown as part of WB21C the royalties for it's use are included in the Wood Badge course fee paid to national. National then pays for a site license to show the film. Why? Although the film is part of the course and "free" for the participants to watch they are paying for the course and thus it is considered to have royalties payable.

What about campership from the council??

If the boy is truly in need I have asked for help from the Church. I arrive in uniform and at the appointed time I do my sales pitch to the congregation. I ALWAYS have enough donations to get the boys to camp after asking the church members. I always follow up with a flyer with picture and stories from the boys and a thank you to the church.

I have a problem with helping the boys out. Especially cub level, parents tend to get a sense of entitlement. The boys need understand where the money comes from and have an appreciation for the sacrifice of the donation. Cub Level boys are not able to comprehend this and I have had bad experiences with cub donor interactions after events.

Our big fundraiser is a B-B-Q chicken dinner in the spring and again in the fall.

We do this at two locations simultaneously.

We fill out a roster with the times ( in 2 hr increments) that the dens need to participate. They sign up with their choice of which location to work at ( first come , first serve).

THis fundraiser( both spring and fall) makes up about 90% of the pack budget for the year and pays for things like books and neckers , beltloops, supplies, etc. This includes paper supplies, mailers, e mail service, packmaster, etc...

The col ting is this: The boys participate. They earn the money by working for it.

Sure, they might forget what it involves a week or two later, but at least for a short time, they get an understanding of how it works.

I think the restaurant idea is a great one. To simplify things, go ahead and read all the guidelines but if you let it happen as a fundraiser for the CO, and the CO is supportive of the pack, you don't need to report a single thing or file any kind of permission form.

This unit engages in sales of various food items (BBQ cookouts) at every home football game and we 'sell' parking spaces in the CO parking lot for outrageous prices. Not a single form filed and we rake it in...all in the name of the CO. No one has ever even lifted an eyebrow.