I'm kinda torn on this. I have to lead towards the anyone with one can teach it but under the eye of a responsible leader. If at camp, a staff member teaches it, I would not second guess it. But, if a guy who earned it way back when is just returning to using the woods tools, coaching and guiding may be needed. I certainly don't condone an untrained, untested, and just-earned scout teaching the class. It is also up to how you are working advancement requirements within the troop. Another scout may teach it but the testing may be only with approved leaders. Good judgement and observation on the scout and the instruction is needed before I'll sign.

I don't have a Totin Chip in front of me but if I remember correctly the signature line says 'Authorized by', or something similar.

Tenderfoot through First Class advancement (and that is where the totin chipfalls) can be tested by anyone who is approved by the Scoutmaster.

Hope this helps,

Bob White

Pretty much in agreement here. We allow anyone approved to sign off on requirements to instruct the TotNChip and FireManChit skills. That instructor then recommends to the Scoutmaster or Asst. Scoutmaster that the boy is qualified. Scoutmaster or Asst. is the one who signs off on the card, with the option of testing the boy's knowledge, skills and abilities.

Taking (cutting off) corners - or revocation for serious offenses - may only be done by the Scoutmaster or Asst.

Funny you mention corners. My ASM, a medic, severely cut his finger while "carving". After we saw him with a paper towel wrapped around his finger, we helped him rummage through his medic bag. Needless to say after he doctored himself. I asked him for his and not only took one corner but three, one for each finger sliced. The scouts thought it was funny, and he volunteered to teach totin chip to get a new card with the understanding that his old one would be retained until he left and it would be presented (on a going away plaque).

Same day: Second one, my son (using his mom's side the brain) hit himself in the forehead with an axe handle by choking up too far on the handle. Being too embarrassed to say that outright, he told the medic that the axe caught on an overhanging branch. Well, both sat next to each other with banadages, odd shaped totin' chips and bummed faces. Real funny at the time after the blood stopped flowing.

I am not sure what the scout was thinking as catching an axe in an overhanging branch would mean he did not properly check out his chopping area which would also cost him a few corners.

(this from a guy who during his summer camp as a scout buried a hatchet in his knee)