CS Den & Pack Resources Guide Online!

The Guide is not a "2010 only" (or 2010-2011 only) Guide.

From what I can see, what got "rolled out" last August as the "Cub Scouts 2010" program has morphed on the scouting.org pages into the more generic (and not going "out of date" in 8 months!) "new Cub Scout Program" (though those references appear to be gone now) and/or the equally generic but more technical "new delivery method" (and I just googled that one, and that page now says "oops" . . . gone).

I would guess that some or all of the "Cub Scouts 2010" page will likewise fall away, since it is just this now: Cub Scouts.

The paper version has also been up on scoutstuff.org for at least 3 days, because that is how long my order for it has been sitting in "picking" status. I'm not sure what that means, I guess they grow them on trees.

I ordered my paper version on Friday, when it first popped up, and it landed on my desk here yesterday -- regular delivery, but mine was just Charlotte to Atlanta, so YMMV.

Picked up my Den & Pack Meeting Resource Guide and Leader Book, the first thing I noticed is the book is thinner, not fewer pages, thinner pages. (I read allot, I notice paper...) Overall they have a more "polished" feel, the books feel "designed" as much as written and the content is mostly recycled (Why throw out what works!) But this does not seem to be a case of style over substance, more that BSA publishing is maturing. The new content is more of a refinement in my opinion then revolutionary.

My verdict, good job!

On the question "For those of you who have the printed copy: Is there any differnece between it and the online .pdf files?", from a quick sample, it sure looks like "the same thing".

-- The on-line pdf version shows paging consistent with the printed copy.

-- For example, Webelos Meeting One is "Page 258".

So far, I haven't found any piece that is missing. For example, the "Template for Sample Parent Information Letter or E-Mail" is there, and in a pdf format that -- at least with my Adobe Reader 9 -- allows you to copy the text, so that it is easier for you to tailor and communicate with that tool (e.g., to set up your meeting schedule, note who your "special guest" and "parent helpers/activity leaders" will be, etc.).

So, yes, your new Den Leader should smile away. Whatever BSA scoutstuff revenue is lost from on-line use of the Guide will be made up big time on the back end as Den Leaders succeed and then buy more stuff down the road! ;^)

Quick question, is using this in the fall a have to thing or a decision the committee makes to use? From what I can see, it's not optional and I have heard others talk about a vite to use or not to use. I like it and wish we had used it when I was a den leader this year. I teach so to me it looks like a lesson plans and seems to make meetings easier.

I can follow up with more on one of my favorite topics: what is required to be done, and what is not required, and how that ties into our goal of Keep it Simple, Make it Fun.

Now, as to how your Pack will determine to run itself, and whether Pack Committees can or should mandate what resources Den Leaders and Cubmasters will use to make up the program of their respective Den Meetings and Pack Meetings, I think it would be really really unusual for many Pack Committees to get too intrusive with that (especially a "vote" that might be interpreted as a ban on use of specific program resources).

-- I suspect most Committees would want to be sure that the Den and Pack Leaders have access to resources to help them do their roles, and that would include the new Den & Pack Meeting Resource Guide.

Note that on the entry page to the Den and Pack Meeting Resource Guide linked above, it says "The Den & Pack Meeting Resource Guide is designed to help prepare you for your den and pack meetings and to provide you with the tools necessary to advance your boys along the Cub Scout advancement trail while having fun."

-- Designed to help. Provide you with tools. Having Fun.

Now, it is true that the Pack does need to coordinate certain activities, but coordination doesn't necessarily mean lock-step in everything.

-- Pack Meetings are the obvious item where all must be on the same page. Each Cubmaster will need to be sure to spice up Pack meetings with your own particular songs, skits, stories, games and fun, and coordinate that with Den Leaders and others who have a meeting role, which will tie into the "prepare for upcoming Pack events" part of Den Meetings.

-- Beyond that (beyond the "be sure you're coordinating with the upcoming Pack events"), in Den Meetings, depending on how & where you meet, what Den Leaders choose to do in any specific meeting wouldn't seem to me to have to be in any sort of "lock step" with either other Dens or the Guide. They should communicate about what they are doing so that all are informed. But it would appear to be less simple and less fun if good ideas and program are stifled to serve the purpose of unnecessary uniformity.

Bottom line: I would assume every Committee would want to take the position of advising Den Leaders and Cubmasters: "Be sure you've taken a look at the new Guide, and here's a link to it. It seems like a lot of this can make it easier as you create the program you lead for our Scouts, and it will help them with advancement in fun ways. It also looks this these will help you get more parents to come and help lead parts of your meetings (in their areas of interest). Let us know how we can support you in all that you do! Thanks."

Bert Bender

Pack and District Trainer

http://atlanta631.mypack.us/

Our DE showed us the new Resource Guide at the Commissioners Meeting this past week. He indicated that there is 'more' material in the printed guide (or DVD that can be purchased) than what can be downloaded but he wasn't specific as to what that included.

On the referenced DE's note that "there is 'more' material in the printed guide (or DVD that can be purchased) than what can be downloaded but he wasn't specific as to what that included", let me offer two points:

1) As far as has been seen or announced, there is no DVD that goes with the new Den & Pack Meeting Resource Guide.

-- There will be one for Cub Scout Leader Position-Specific Training, DVD to be released in July. The assumption is that the DVD will replicate the "on line" version of Cub Scout Leader Position-Specific Training that is to be on www.myscouting.org as of June 20.

-- But no DVD for the Den & Pack Meeting Resource Guide.

2) As far as anyone has seen so far, and post if you see it differently, there isn't anything in the printed guide that isn't in the online guide at http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/CubScouts/Leaders/DenLeaderResources/DenandPackMeetingResourceGuide.aspx.

-- Frankly, most of the "Den Meeting Plans" and "Pack Meeting Plans" even have the Guide's page numbers.

But the intro Pages 1-20 are there, but in different format.

The Den & Pack Meeting Resource Guide intro sections, which include an "Overview of Cub Scouting", are at http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/CubScouts/Leaders/DenLeaderResources/DenandPackMeetingResourceGuide/Overview.aspx, and, that takes us through these parts of the Guide (this is from the Table of Contents in the Guide -- pages 1-6 are either Table of Contents or empty): The Guide sections found there are Introduction, in the Guide at Page 7; Overview of Cub Scouting at Page 8; Purposes of Cub Scouting at Page 8; The Methods of Cub Scouting at Page 8; Cub Scouts: A Positive Place at Page 9; Delivering the Cub Scout Program at Page 9; Responsibilities to the Boys at Page 9; Den Leader Responsibilities at Page 9; Cubmaster Responsibilities at Page 10; Role of Training at Page 10; Why the Method Underlying the Resource Guide Works at Page 10; Awards Cub Scouts Can Earn at Page 10.

And at http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/CubScouts/Leaders/DenLeaderResources.aspx, sections covering Den Meeting Introduction at Page 14 of the Guide; Den Leader Responsibilities at Page 14; and Den Meetings and Den Meeting Plans at Page 14.

Then at http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/CubScouts/Leaders/DenLeaderResources/DenandPackMeetingResourceGuide/HelpfulHints.aspx, and you'll find Helpful Hints for Den Leaders from page 16 of the Guide. The next section is Tiger Cub Den Meeting Plans 20.

Plus, the printed Guide can't "hot link" the Resources, Forms and Applications, like http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/CubScouts/Leaders/Forms.aspx does.

So, as to "there is 'more' material in the printed guide (or DVD that can be purchased) than what can be downloaded but he wasn't specific as to what that included", count that as "Myth: Busted". And if ya find something missing, email program.content@scouting.org and insist they link it!

Bert Bender

Pack and District Trainer

South Fulton District, Atlanta Area Council