Video Gaming Pin & Belt Loop

I thought this was an interesting coincidence. In a thread about the rights of adults to attend or not attend unit events, a few mentions were made of the distaste many have for video game weekends as Boy Scout Troop outings.

Then on the same day, CNN reports that the BSA has authorized a Video Gaming pin and belt loop program for Cub Scouts. I checked my calendar and lo-and-behold, it's not April 1st, and CNN isn't just some random blog, so I'm thinking they've got it right (especially since they mention that part of the program is for teaching Cubs what kinds of games are appropriate and what kinds of games aren't - sounds like something the BSA would put together).

So what say folks - has anyone heard of this? Will your Packs and Dens actively participate in encouraging this award? Should there be a video gaming merit badge? Is this the beginning of the end for the outdoor progamming for Scouting? Is this a good idea? Bad idea? Does this send the right message about Scouting to the world at large? Will our International counterparts be shaking their heads wondering just what the heck the American's are doing now?

Apparently, you haven't googled the requirements. They seem reasonable and an attempt to promote responsible time management and choice of video games. My son earned his right before he bridged over to Boy Scouts this past February.

Requirements for the Video Games Belt Loop

Complete these three requirements:

1) Eplain why it is important to have a rating system for video games. Check your video games to be sure they are right for your age.

2) With an adult, create a schedule for you to do things that includes your chores, homework, and video gaming. Do your best to follow this schedule.

3) Learn to play a new video game that is approved by your parent, guardian, or teacher.

yes, I'm sure it's the beginning of the end of scouting as we know as well as a contributing factor to the corruption of today's youth : D

seriously, it's. a. belt. loop.

I really don't see it as a big deal and I can tell you that the boys are sure excited about it, which is all good. For all intents and purposes, this is really not all that different than the chess belt loop.... not like that is part of the outdoor scouting program. Believe it or not, there is a level of strategizing in gaming and if the boys are having a good time playing together, where is the harm? Was it necessary? Probably not, but I don't think it's a detriment to the program.

The primary focus is ratings and time management... not offensive.

I spent a good hour reading all the comments to the CNN blog post. The article doesn't mention what the belt loop is really about, with no link to the requirements. It's difficult to form an informed opinion on something based solely on the name of a belt loop.

I will make my response to this as scoutlike and civil as humanly possible...

THIS IS NOT SCOUTING!!!!!

Please keep in mind that I have read the requirements for these awards on scouting.org. Perhaps I'm a bit old-fashioned. :)(This message has been edited by sherminator505)

I agree! Video gaming is not scouting! Neither is Stamp Collecting, Dentistry, Golf or Plumbing-- yet each of those are merit badges. Scouting can acknowledge achievement and/or interest in areas other than Camping, Hiking, Citizenship and First Aid (etc.) without doing either the youth or the program a disservice.

I guess the issue is that people don't want to see Scouting legitimize an activity that either they consider unhealthy or that kids don't need any encouragement to pursue.

How do you feel about the Marbles belt loop? It makes about as much sense.

I think it is a little bit lame, just as I think the "good manners" belt loop is lame. Not that I am opposed to good manners, but that I am sad to see we apparently need a belt loop in order to promote manners. To me, the video game culture is sort of the same - we need a beltloop? for this? I don't have a problem with the requirements, for the most part - but I wonder why parents wouldn't just do these things with their small children already. Seriously, is the belt loop really aimed at that Wolf Cub with his PSP in hand, or is it aimed at his parents, who are (evidently) so clueless that the BSA now needs to provide *them* with incentives to understand the video game rating system and teach their kids to do the same?

Sherminator - at least it isn't a merit badge! (yet)

(This message has been edited by lisabob)

In this round of Belt loops they added Hiking, Horseback riding and Disability awareness.

Skateboarding???????

Rollerskating????????

Good Manners????????

Reading and Writing?????

I am more bothered by a good manners belt loop than a video game belt loop. We are awarding the boys for something that should be a natural thing.

You are upset with BSA trying to remain relevant in these boys lives. You need to remember that most of the young men in scouting are either Urban or Suburban.

So are you mad about the Geocaching merit badge???? Geocaching is just as ridiculous as video games.

But even the Good Manners requirements are more than just about having good manners.

The requirements for the loops/pins are just as diverse as those for merit badges, but on a smaller scale for Cub Scouts. It's more than just doing the activity on the name of the award. It gets into hows, whys, gets family involved and integrates life skills on a miniature scale.

And really, with the exception of a couple of these that are parts of requirements for the Cub Scout ranks, the loops and pins are supplemental, entirely optional and in theory purely for the Cub Scout's interest (parental bling issues aside). Not really any different than earning more than 21 merit badges or 8 Webelos Activity badges.

I love it, and will be suggesting we make it a pack activity next year. I can just see it now. Multiple Wii systems set-up around the room. Kids competing with each other in various games. Will be a blast of an event.

Hmmm...maybe we could make it a money earning event somehow.?

The belt loop is teaching responsible game choices and time managment. It is also teaching them to try a new game.

I agree that there are a lot of things that are causing us to become a little farther away from the original scouting. BUt come one, I would like to see one troop that still packs and camps like those of the 1920's. there is not a scout out there that would not complain about having to carry so much equipment.

I personally don't like the belt loop either, and my cubs were all like, cool, I have already got that one, I play video games all the time. Then I tell them that is not how they earn it. And then comes the "awwwww, maaannnnnn."