Need advice on appropriate expenses

Eagle74 - thanks for all the info. I agree that the committee should not leave these decision to me - I keep trying to push for them to make the decisions - but I do think it is appropriate for me to provide some guidance, and I thank all of your for your most helpful replies! I very much like the idea of the dens collecting their own dues to provide them their funding - that is the best idea yet.

When I was a Cub leader, our committee had it set up so that the fund raisers were "apportioned" for advancements and other collective expenses, and the den dues were apportioned right back to the dens for their specific program requirements. As I recall, the Webelos den dues were somewhat higher because of the higher cost of the advancements and the more robust program they had...

KS

I don't necessarily agree that treasurer should bear the burden of policing the budget. The committee chairman and, to a lesser degree, Cubmaster needs to do the heavy lifting. As treasurer, I think you can jump up and down at committee meetings as to budget and procedure, but when it comes to butting heads with an individual Den Leader, that's not your job.

Speaking for myself, I didn't mean to imply otherwise. What I did intend to say was this - As treasurer, you shouldn't distribute funds to anyone that does not have pre-approval. The treasurer shouldn't blindly distribute funds. He/She should ask questions i.e., "Who is approving this expenditure?" If the requester does not provide an appropriate answer (the CC or committee), the treasurer should not distribute the funds. As for butting heads, of course, allow that to be done with the CC. However, the treasurer does have a responsibility to distribute funds according to procedure (not just upon request).

Exactly, Rooster.

One of the reasons I like the payment request/check request is that it keeps the approval or disapproval of an expenditure from being a personal thing between the treasurer and the person requesting the check. She simply receives the request, notes whether or not there is sufficient funds in the budget to cover the expense and forwards it to the CC for approval.

I'd even present the forms to the CC during the committee meeting as part of the treasurer's report. That way, if the CC is the one not following the budget, it gets it in front of the committee without the treasurer having to be a nag about it.

In a healty Pack situation, all the treasurer would have to do is pick up the phone and let the den leader know they're over budget. And assuming is not a huge or recurring expense, the Pack hopefully has funds to cover the overage. But it sounds like Cubmom is getting dumped on. In her situation, there needs to be some procedure to keep her from constantly being in the middle.

How we handle the funds in my troop is alot like a business. We set down in the Troop Committee and PLC meeting and figure out what each unit is going to cost in adavance of the unit. We then draw up a request of funds and turn it in to the treausuer. They thengo over it with a nother person and figure out if it is waranted for the expense. A case in point I turned in a request for 6 - Scout staves for a project. It was turned down after a place where we can get free wood that had to be trimmed was discovered. OIt sounds like another layer of committees but it works. If a item needs purchasing that goes over our budget it then has to be approved by the Troop Committee and COR with a plan to pay the extra money back. We can buy stuff before getting approval but run the risk of having the request denied and having to eat the cost of it ourselves.

Well I have presented the idea of dens using the dues for fund their activities. Actually, since we have dues paid in 2 payments of $25 each, I suggested that the den take the frist payment and the pack take the second. But one of the leaders brought up a good point...if I let the den leaders collect the money, then I have no way to account for that money...and no way to show that $25 expense. I am still going to have to manage these darn dues (and fighting THAT battle again does not appeal to me at all!) this year...no way around it. But...I will turn over the payments to the dens, expense the $25, and let them manage their own expenses. That will ease some of the burden, at least.