Webelos Campout - Estes Bulk Rockets

Look at the online hobby stores. Some are cheaper than others, some might have sales going on. There are also bulk/educator kits from other manufacturers. Look for bulk pack engines too.

I just usually browse and find the best deal. I have never had a problem yet. I recommend sticking with the lowest level. If you need the launchers and all of the rest, some of the kits include those too.

Have fun!

ScoutNut,

Thanks for your reply. I did find some online hobby stores with some good prices for low level rockets. I was hoping to get a recommendation about a site that I can trust. I would hate to pick one that isn't trustworthy.

RJ-

When I was working with Webelos scouts, we did several rocket activities. We learned about forces and aerodynamics and learned about electricity by building our own launch controllers. We also made altitude trackers from plastic protractors, PVC pipe, and fishing gear - and learned a little math :-). We also learned about water safety while retrieving some rockets from the lake at camp.

In addition to the online retailers already mentioned, and the Scout store, I've also picked up bulk pack kits and bulk pack engines at Michaels and Hobby Lobby stores. Check for online coupons for bigger discounts. One store manager gave me some great stuff at cost because we were a scout unit.

-R

"Well now that you mention it, as a matter of fact, I am a rocket scientist."

I know you were asking about Estes bulk rockets in your OP, but one very inexpensive event our Pack just hosted was to build and lunch badminton birdie rockets. I think it was about a dollar for each Cub Scout (main cost was the engines), because we had several launchers and hot glue guns available.

The birdie rockets didn't go up very far and were simple to make and launch; shoot 'em up, they float down. Still valuable lessons of flight, safety, etc. This might be an option if space and/or money is a concern.

We did this as an "all-Pack" activity - Tigers thru Webelos - and no one had problems making these . . . of course, your Webelos might wanna make "real rockets" by using the Estes kits.

I was visiting with the CM of the pack my son crossed over from back in 2004 and asked if they still did the annual rocket launch activity the pack had done for years. He said they did, but that they switched over to the pop bottle rockets last year and they were just as big of a hit as the estes rockets.

You can find them here.

http://shop.pitsco.com/store/detail.aspx?KeyWords=r2k&searchtype=0&sport=3&by=20&c=0&t=0&l=0&ID=1911

or

http://shop.pitsco.com/store/detail.aspx?KeyWords=r2k&by=20&ID=5912&c=0&t=0&l=0

The first link is for individual rockets at $3.25 each. The second link is for a package of 30 for $69.00 which reduces the price to $2.30 each.

Of course, it would require a one time expense of the launch pad materials that can be used for years to come. It runs $139.00.

http://shop.pitsco.com/store/detail.aspx?KeyWords=rocket launcher&by=20&ID=1179&c=0&t=0&l=0(This message has been edited by sr540beaver)

• 2 weeks later...

Scoutstuff.org has, by far, the best pricing for the Bulk Pack for Wizard and Viking Rockets, and engine packs.

MSRP online scoutstuff

Viking 61.99 41.54 27.88

Wizard 73.99 49.58 34.88

Engines 63.29 42.41 29.88

got the Wizard 12 and Blast Off Flight Pack and paid appox $15 for tax and shipping.

Great Deal!!!

I suggest you check with your Council -- however, last I knew Cubs (and I use the term "cubs" in the generic sense) were required to use ONLY the compressed air (pop bottle type, if you will) of rockets.

No CO2 motors, no solid motors.

That was the information that I validated with our Council when the Pack I serve wanted to do a rocketry event.

(This message has been edited by UCEagle72)

UC,

That must be a local council policy as nothing prohibiting rockets is in the GTSS, and several of my council's CSDCs are doing rocket launches. Wish mine could, but we are in the middle of a council camp and have no large fields.

edited: I remember doing rockets at "dad and lad" back in the day, and they do them at res camp if memory serves.(This message has been edited by Eagle92)

• 2 weeks later...

Please please please check your local hobby shop first before ordering online. My local guy got a much better deal on Estes Alpha III bulk paks than I could ever get online. I also got my engines from him too. Let your hobby dealer know your buying for a Scout Troop or Cub Pack. Keeps the locals in business. If it's all done online, then the locals dry up and go out of business just when you need to run out and get some glue or paint, or a few extra motors.